Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Current State, Properties does not reflect the current state properties

Post by socratis »

Go to the Snapshots pane, and you have one or more snapshots, and select Properties. You select the Properties of a snapshot, and they are listed at the bottom panel. But, if you select the "Current State", the properties, which could be different from the previous snapshot, do not show. Instead the message:
You have the Current State item selected.
Press Take button if you wish to take a new snapshot.
(BTW, shouldn't the second line state "Press the Take button..."?)

I believe that selecting the CurrentState should populate and display the Properties as they are in the CurrentState. So, for example, you have a snapshot with USB2 enabled. You modify that snapshot to have the USB3 controller enabled. Properties of the CurrentState should reflect that fact.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Current State, Properties does not reflect the current state properties

Post by Martin »

That's probably because "Current State" is not a snapshot with a fixed point in time state. If you change the guest settings after taking a snapshot you don't change this snapshot but just the current settings of the guest. All the settings of the current state are visible in the guest settings. ;)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sure, but it's a life saver to compare the CurrentState with the previous Snapshot. Think about it. What good does the message offer? What good would a Properties of CurrentState offer in the same window/format? You click CurrentState, you click PreviousSnapshot. Boom! The differences are right in front of your eyes. Literally... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dsen
Oracle Corporation

Post by Dsen »

Hello guys,

Indeed I thought about making the 'current state' attributes/information panes look similar to what snapshot properties pane have.
But I am not sure how to make it clear that this is not properties of the snapshot (which is not exist in the 'current state'), but of the VM itself.
I need to think about it.

P.S. About the proper English wording as well, please let me know when you find similar things, I had no time for proper grammar and could easily skip something in that regard. Thx in advance!
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Maybe just show "settings changed from last snapshot"? ;)
(yes, i know that it is much easier to ask for it then to code a solution... :D)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Dsen wrote:But I am not sure how to make it clear that this is not properties of the snapshot (which is not exist in the 'current state'), but of the VM itself.
Put a 10-pixel border around the properties panel? That would definitely draw people's attention. Mock-up follows:
[attachment=1]Properties-Snapshot.png[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Properties-CurrentState.png[/attachment]

See how easy it is to compare the differences between the two? I simply disabled the audio in the CurrentState. You could have the whole CurrentState distinguish from the Snapshots, either by drawing a border, or you could have a "banner", something like the beta VirtualBox Manager has.

Added bonus: differentiate what has changed in the CurrentState vs. the Snapshot, like the Audio has a red border...

PS. In my first post, I said:
socratis wrote:So, for example, you have a snapshot with USB2 enabled. You modify that snapshot to have the USB3 controller enabled. Properties of the CurrentState should reflect that fact.
Actually, that was a mistake. The controller is *NOT* reflected in the properties. It should.
Attachments
Properties-CurrentState.png
Properties-CurrentState.png (175.06 KiB) Viewed 6012 times
Properties-Snapshot.png
Properties-Snapshot.png (189.08 KiB) Viewed 6012 times
Dsen
Oracle Corporation

Post by Dsen »

socratis wrote:Actually, that was a mistake. The controller is *NOT* reflected in the properties. It should.
There were more things which were not reflected in snapshot details, I've synced the stuff with VM details. Will be a part of subsequent beta.
About reflecting current state information (you mentioned above) - that will take more time..
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Dsen wrote:About reflecting current state information (you mentioned above) - that will take more time..
Dsen,
I just noticed the changes, right after 5.2.0 came out. AMAZING JOB!!! Every change that is made between the Snapshot and the Current State is underlined in the Properties panel. And not the whole thing, mind you. If you change the USB controller from OHCI, EHCI to XHCI, only that part will be underlined, not the filters. Ditto if you change the filters, only that part will be underlined, and not the controller. Nice!!!

I would have made it bold, red and underlined, to really draw attention to the changes with a quick glance, but that's just me. ;)

Thank you for that, it's really, really helpful! And simply beautifully implemented!!!