[Solved] Install yosemite on Mac OS X "OS X coudl not be installed on your computer"

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
pijart

[Solved] Install yosemite on Mac OS X "OS X coudl not be installed on your computer"

Post by pijart »

I want to install Yosemite on a Mac OS X, but I get the error: "OS X could not be installed on your computer. The operation couldn't be completed. Undefined error: 0. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again".

I have tried to restart the virtual machine and try the installation again but that does not work. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

I am running virtualbox VM version: 5.1.22 r112126 (Qt5.6.2)
The host system is: Macbook air (13 inch, Early 2015) running Sierra 10.12.2

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by socratis on 1. Jun 2017, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Install yosemite on Mac OS X "OS X coudl not be installed on your computer"

Post by socratis »

pijart wrote:OS X could not be installed on your computer.
This error message shows only if you try to run the OSX installer on an existing (newer) OSX installation. How are you trying to install 10.11 10.10 on a VM? By running the installer on your host?

You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pijart

Post by pijart »

Thanks for the fast replay.

I am trying to install the 10.10 (yosemite) OS on the VM that I created. I am using the ISO file that I created by the following commands:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

# Mount the installer image
hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app

# Convert the boot image to a sparse bundle
hdiutil convert /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -format UDSP -o /tmp/Yosemite

# Increase the sparse bundle capacity to accommodate the packages
hdiutil resize -size 8g /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage

# Mount the sparse bundle for package addition
hdiutil attach /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

# Remove Package link and replace with actual files
rm /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/Packages
cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/

# Copy Yosemite installer dependencies
cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/install_build/BaseSystem.chunklist
cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/install_build/BaseSystem.dmg

# Unmount the installer image
hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_app

# Unmount the sparse bundle
hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_build

# Resize the partition in the sparse bundle to remove any free space
hdiutil resize -size `hdiutil resize -limits /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $1 }'`b /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage

# Convert the sparse bundle to ISO/CD master
hdiutil convert /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage -format UDTO -o /tmp/Yosemite

# Remove the sparse bundle
rm /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage

# Rename the ISO and move it to the desktop
mv /tmp/Yosemite.cdr ~/Desktop/Yosemite.iso

So my host system runs the Sierra OS and the guest system should be running yosimite. I also tried to install the newest version of sierra on a VM but I ran into a problem that still cant be solved. For this reason I downloaded a older version of Mac OS. I read it should be possible with an older version.

But how can I work around the error when I trie to install the Yosimite as guest on a Sierra Host. Or is that not possible?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Your script looks fine. Of course I prefer the one in the forums: Board index » Mac OS X Guests » [Howto] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app, I know the author ;)

The question is what do you do with that ISO in your desktop. Do you double-click it and run the installer from there? That would explain the error that you're getting.

That's the reason I guided you to read ch. 1.8. Running your virtual machine. In there it reads:
If you have downloaded installation media from the Internet in the form of an ISO image file (most probably in the case of a Linux distribution), you would normally burn this file to an empty CD or DVD and proceed as just described. With VirtualBox however, you can skip this step and mount the ISO file directly. VirtualBox will then present this file as a CD or DVD-ROM drive to the virtual machine, much like it does with virtual hard disk images.

For this case, the wizard's drop-down list contains a list of installation media that were previously used with VirtualBox.

If your medium is not in the list (especially if you are using VirtualBox for the first time), select the small folder icon next to the drop-down list to bring up a standard file dialog, with which you can pick the image file on your host disks.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pijart

Post by pijart »

I use the ISO file when I start up the Virtual Machine for the first time, then I go through all the installation processes but it stops at the moment stated before.

So I do not try to installing it on my Mac host, but on the Mac guest virtual machine. Do you have any further suggestions?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I want to see a zipped log file from a failed session:
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or paused state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error. Post a screenshot of your whole screen. If you're on HiDPI, downscale it by 50%, at least.
  3. Shut down the VM. Not saved or paused. Completely shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (only the first VBox.log), ZIP IT and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
pijart

Post by pijart »

Here are the documents.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 12.19.14 2.zip
screenshot file
(187.04 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
bkjbj.vbox.zip
box file
(1.47 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
bkjbj-2017-05-31-12-19-31.log.zip
log file
(25.91 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Excellent job gathering the evidence! Thank you.
  • Where did you get the DVD from? Could you try the "InstallerApp2iso.sh" script in the Terminal and tell me what it reports back? You don't have to proceed with the conversion, just the part after the screen clears and the summary info is presented?
  • Try to increase the RAM to 3072 MB, and the videoRAM to 128 MB.
  • There's no point to trying full screen mode. Not with an OSX guest. For the moment ;)
  • Moving to "OSX Guests" from "OSX Hosts".
pijart

Post by pijart »

What do you mean by: where did you get the DVD from?

And how do I run the bash script? I did:

bash InstallerApp2iso.sh -i /Applications/Install OS X Yosemite.app
But that did not gave me a ISO file on the desktop. I tried increasing the RAM and videoRAM but that did nothing.
And what do you mean with: Moving to "OSX Guests" from "OSX Hosts"?
pijart

Post by pijart »

I got the script going, and this is what I got back:

================================================================================
Apple OSX Installer Application to ISO creation tool
================================================================================
Version: 2017-05-17
Copyright (C) 2017, socratis @ VirtualBox forums.
All rights reserved.

- OSX version: attempting automatic OSX detection from the InstallerApp...
/dev/disk2          	Apple_partition_scheme         	
/dev/disk2s1        	Apple_partition_map            	
/dev/disk2s2        	Apple_HFS                      	/Volumes/InstallESD
- OSX version detected: 10.10.5 (14F27)
"disk3" unmounted.
"disk3" ejected.
"disk2" unmounted.
"disk2" ejected.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The conversion will use the following parameters:
    - Installer application   : /Applications/Yosemite.app
    - Destination directory   : /Users/eyesee/Desktop (63 GiB/66 GB free)
    - Temporary directory     : /tmp (63 GiB/66 GB free)
    - OSX version scripts     : 10.9/10.10 scripts for version 10.10.5 (14F27)
    - Verbosity level         : 1
    - Calculate ISO checksum  : 0
    - Dry-run cmd. output     : 0

************************   I M P O R T A N T   ************************
Please understand that there is feedback for most processes, but not
for all of them, such as copying and moving. They can take up to ten
minutes or more, depending on your HD speed. If you selected a network
location or an external HD, these times can vary a lot.

pijart

Post by pijart »

So I did the conversion with the bash script and the iso that came out of the bash scripts seems to be working. I keep you updated!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Wait... what? You used my script and now it's working? I'll have to take another look at what you used originally to see if I missed something.

The reason I wanted you to run the script was to see what 10.10.x version you were using (10.10.5). Your Mac came originally with 10.10.2, so it shouldn't be a problem running 10.10.5.

Let me know if this has a happy ending...
pijart

Post by pijart »

It is a happy ending! I got the Yosemite OS X installed on the virtual machine now. Thanks for your help!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Nice! Thanks for reporting back.
I'll mark the thread as [Solved].
brad.mccrorey

Post by brad.mccrorey »

pijart wrote:So I did the conversion with the bash script and the iso that came out of the bash scripts seems to be working. I keep you updated!
LOL - me too. That's some shell script. Nice work!