Show the Apple Logo instead of the verbose Boot Process

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
joseluisbz
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, macOS, CentOS

Show the Apple Logo instead of the verbose Boot Process

Post by joseluisbz »

I'm running my Guest macOS Sierra 10.12.x

Is it possible to hide the verbose boot process, changing by original mac Apple symbol progress bar instead of?
Last edited by joseluisbz on 29. Jun 2017, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Hiding Boot Process

Post by socratis »

Not really, no.
Don't you want to know what's really going on? ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
joseluisbz

Post by joseluisbz »

I thinking of something that reenabled if something go bad, but keep silent if problem don't appears.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

As I said, nope, doesn't exist. Hide the VM if it irritates you, or start it detachable, or look through the source code on how to (even if it's possible) to enable something like that. I don't believe that cosmetic issues like that are a high priority...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
joseluisbz

Post by joseluisbz »

It isn't Irritates, take you account Linux boot in several modes.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

joseluisbz wrote:take you account Linux boot in several modes.
I think I might understand what you mean, but please verify. If you mean the boot processes in various Linux distros, that's because the distro has arranged for something like that. You cannot change OSX to change the logo. That logo is in a Mac's NVRAM, and such a thing is not provided by VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

First of all, I'm sorry for shooting your idea down too quickly. I should have done what I suggested that you do:
socratis wrote:look through the source code on how to (even if it's possible) to enable something like that.
Well, I did go through the source code and I found that there might be a solution to your problem. Sort of... The VirtualBox default arguments passed to the OSX kernel are:
  • usb=0x800 keepsyms=1 -v -serial=0x1
Well, that "-v" there? That's the verbose mode. So, what you could do is to shut down the VM and issue the command:
  • VBoxManage setextradata "<vm>" VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs "usb=0x800 keepsyms=1 -serial=0x1"
basically taking out the "-v". That will keep the VirtualBox default OSX boot arguments, minus the verbosity. It's not perfect, as you still see 3-4 lines at the beginning (mainly the root disk device), but after that it's the Apple logo.

That change will survive snapshots (it's a global setting), so if you want to undo it and revert to the defaults, simply issue the command:
  • VBoxManage setextradata "<vm>" VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs

PS. "<vm>" is the VM name as it appears in VirtualBox Manager. Enclose it in quotes, as shown above...
joseluisbz

Post by joseluisbz »

Hi...

I was checking my same machine create on VirtualBox in VMWare Fusion, and it's not verbose instead Show the Apple Typical Logo.
That logo is in a Mac's NVRAM, and such a thing is not provided by VirtualBox.
But, VMWare reproduce the NVRAM information to show the logo in the boot process?

Only I want to show the Apple Logo instead the verbose lines (when the mac OS boots).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I believe that my previous answer is as close as you can get:
socratis wrote:
VBoxManage setextradata "<vm>" VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs "usb=0x800 keepsyms=1 -serial=0x1"
alanz

Re: Show the Apple Logo instead of the verbose Boot Process

Post by alanz »

I had the same ussue and still don't have an answer. It seems it really doesn't exist.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@alanz
What did you try and what were the results?
joseluisbz

Post by joseluisbz »

Thank you your Answer Works!!!

VBoxManage setextradata "<vm>" VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs "usb=0x800 keepsyms=1 -serial=0x1"

Do you know, what means usb=0x800 arguments?