Discuss: Tutorial: Windows 95/98 guest OSes

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Discuss: Tutorial: Windows 95/98 guest OSes

Post by mpack »

The tutorial advises you on your display driver choices, as does this discussion topic. As far as I know the advice hasn't changed.

You understand of course that Win98 is not a supported guest, so whether the third party drivers you choose to install work or not is between you and the authors of those drivers, if you can find them. It will only draw a conversation here if it happens to coincide with the interests of a fellow user.
Dragannia89

Post by Dragannia89 »

Are there any drivers available for Intel HD audio? Having some audio issues so I'm swapping around devices trying to troubleshoot but the Intel HD Audio just flat out doesn't work. I can't find a driver either for Win 98SE...
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Post by ghr »

Well, you wont find a T-Ford that runs on unleaded either :) OK, for Win98 your options are either AC97 (Intel, Realtek had drivers) or SB16 (or compatible)....
killrawr

Post by killrawr »

I was working on this problem yesterday Shared Folders / Clipboard Host<=>Guest

To transfer files, you don't need shared folders or networking. Can access the VDI file using 7-Zip (which is free) or PowerISO

If you could include this in your Tutorial, I think it would help other people too.
AnrDaemon
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Linux, Windows

Post by AnrDaemon »

Dragannia89 wrote:Are there any drivers available for Intel HD audio? Having some audio issues so I'm swapping around devices trying to troubleshoot but the Intel HD Audio just flat out doesn't work. I can't find a driver either for Win 98SE...
You do realize that audio device inside VM is emulated?
Choose SoundBlaster16, it has native '9x drivers.
ProENTITY

Post by ProENTITY »

to install win 95 you need the MS-DOS, right? in case, I can not go to D: \> !!!! which serves to start the setup! can you tell me some command to go to D: or some alternative method to install Win 95?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This topic is for discussing points raised in the tutorial. It is not a general Win9x support topic. It would be best if you started your own topic if you want to have an involved discussion.
ionoskarl
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, cent os

Post by ionoskarl »

Hi Denkster,

I can access the link because of firewall settings of the website, could you load the content on some external cloud drive like a google drive or a similar?

thank you in advance :shock:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I had no problem accessing https://scitechdd.wordpress.com/ even though you quoted a post from 2014-07-03! In there it lists a mirror at "pastehtml.com/view/cgoq9vm39.mrk" which no longer works.

The links in that page are not working: That page however lists the following as Registration information:
  • Name: CSCKnight
  • Serial: 0B5E-12B4-A8A4-0B
And what I found by searching (great invention, you should try it some time), is:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Johnye

Post by Johnye »

I installed Windows 95 OSR2 and Windows 98 SE using these steps:
- run "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextradata "machine name" "VBoxInternal/USB/HidMouse/0/Config/CoordShift" 0
- boot from floppy/cd, fdisk, format c:, start install with "SETUP.EXE /p f" to force ACPI
- (win95 only) apply FIX95CPU.IMA after 1st reboot
- (win95 only) remove unknown devices in device manager and install USBSUPP.EXE from CD
- (win95 only) add missing TCP/IP protocol
- share C:\SHARE (accessible to host with \\guest_name\SHARE)
- install Scitech Display Doctor 7, change display driver to Nucleus, resolution to 1024x768x32
- delete "Check for SDD updates" from HKLM\Software\Windows\Current Version\Run

All is working OK for Windows 98 SE, however I got 3 problems with Windows 95 OSR2:
- 3 extra floppy drives appear in explorer as D:, E:, F:, then the CD drive as G: right after installation
- after installing SDD7, Win95 no longer shuts down, it simply hangs at the "Windows is shutting down" screen
- since Win95 doesn't have drivers for the USB tablet that simulates mouse integration, I tried the following: placing HIDDEV.INF and related files from Win98 in a folder and manually selecting HIDDEV.INF (does nothing), copying files and registry settings from Windows 98 installation (might have missed something, or the INF file isn't compliant with Windows 95, or it simply doesn't work):
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\USB\VID_80EE&PID_0021\INST_0]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\{745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da}]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\HID]
C:\WINDOWS\HIDCI.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\INF\HIDDEV.INF
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HID.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIDCI.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\HIDCLASS.SYS
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\HIDPARSE.SYS
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\HIDUSB.SYS

Has someone successfully got mouse integration to work by getting USB tablet to work in Windows 95?
luweitest

Post by luweitest »

I have some suggestions about the setup switch part.

I installed win98se before I saw the tutorial, so without "setup /p j" switch, but it runs fine without high CPU consumption. There is APM device, which works fine. I later tried "setup /p j", ACPI device installed, and it is fine too (certainly). Maybe Virtualbox has fixed that APM support problem. I am using version 5.2.30 on Windows XP.

As the screenshot(attachment) below, setup /ie /im /is /iv /nr could be added to speed up installation, and it seems to avoid one or two hangs|reboots|crashes during setup.
Attachments
setup switch
setup switch
VirtualBox_Win98_12_06_2019_07_44_19.png (11.24 KiB) Viewed 93857 times
DarioBagi
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: From Win1.0 to Win10

Post by DarioBagi »

I recommend not to do any workaround if you have Win95 installed in 6.1.0 r135406 because that will smash the whole VM...better use that scale tool...it's not completely good to use but works
Ben321

Post by Ben321 »

@Technologov
I just tested this, on Windows ME (it's the closest tutorial I could find, as none were specifically for ME) and it isn't working when I get to the part about the display driver. I have installed the scitech display driver, and have tried to do what you say, but it still doesn't work. After selecting a 1024x768 supervga monitor driver for my monitor, and enabling the scitech display driver in its control panel, and after manually trying to set the settings to force it to 1024x768 with 32bits of color, and multiple reboots, it STILL DOES NOT let me actually let me select those resolutions and bit depths.

I am going to assume that your tutorial (written back in 2008) is no longer capable of working with the latest version of VBox (which is frequently updated, so the latest version is from less than a month ago). Therefore, I'm asking you to revise your tutorial, and test out new solutions, which will hopefully be capable of working on the current version of VBox.

Note that what I need for my project is Windows ME running at 1024x768 with a 32bit bitdepth. Nothing less than that.
UnAntonien

Post by UnAntonien »

Hi there,

Glad to see that there are still posts on this thread in 2020.
But lot of questions, not a lot of answers.
I wanted to install Scitech Display drivers (host Windows 10 64 bits, VirtualBox 6.1).
But after install / reboot i first get blue screen "fatal error 0D at 0028:C008F38C in VXD sddhelp + 00013024. Application will stop, press a key"
After key pressed win98 can continue and Scitech window displayed to continue configuration but at Home / Graphics Adapter this is red "Graphic Adapter could not be detected"..

EDIT : This red is in fact normal at this step. You just have to follow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XHD6mB9b88
During the process i had some troubling errors and at 1:58 of the video a windows protection error, i then followed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dthSP0n ... e=youtu.be (and viewtopic.php?f=6&t=84423 for command in text and examples) and it is now OK

And BTW, but this is another story, on my old Win7 32 bit computer i have also a working Win 3.11 VM wich is out of order now on my new computer.
Virtualbox helps a bit to keep old OS museum, but seems to have some limits too..

I have also tried bearwindows drivers, and not sure i have proceed correctly. There are no specific installation instruction, you have just to find on the net generic informations on how you must install manualy a graphic driver..
I have tried a way and this is not ok :
into Standard PCI graphic adapter, Card, Modify, next, list, have disk, pointed to 064MB (i just guess, as i have configured 64Mb on VM), selected vbemp.inf, next, black screen.. i reboot.. "windows has not stopped correctly" then i have desktop, but nothing change, i do it again, the graphic card has changed to "VBE Miniport - Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA), i can change color and resolution (but in 16 bits only 800x480 or 256 colors 1024x768), reboot.. stuck to a reboot message.. must reboot via VM, but no change in the resolution..
I have all that is displayed here (bearwindows site w98 example): https://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/w98-1.png (except it does not propose 32 bits but 16 bits)
However if i try a resolution other than 640x480 16 colors, it won't be accepted after reboot
More precisely i loose the VM window when it reboot, i must "switch on" manualy again in virtualbox and then i have the text menu with the safe mode or normal mode proposal, i choose normal, and in desktop a popup saying "problem with display parameters, card type not correct or parameter not adapted to your hardware".

@mpack wrote "800x600 or 640x480 in 16 color (i.e. 4 bit, not 16 bit) is a normal default for VGA".
Not sure to understand.. My goal, and the goal of these drivers, is to have better than 640x480 in 16 color.
schneida

Post by schneida »

Hi guys,

thank you very much for all the helpful information I could find in this board. I got my Windows 98 gaming setup mostly working, but sound is a big issue for me. I don't know why, but I can't get it to work. Now before you suggest installing the correct drivers and so on, I did that (hopefully):

* I tried both the Soundblaster 16 and the AC97 audio controller in VirtualBox
* I'm using the latest version of VirtualBox and have tried it on both Windows 10 and ArchLinux - exactly the same issue
* Windows 98 actually plays the startup sound and can play notifications
* With the AC97 controller, also MIDI files play flawlessly
* WAV files can't be played back neither with AC97 nor with Soundblaster 16
* In dxdiag (tried the original DirectX as well as the 9c version), the MIDI Mapper and WaveTable Synthesis output work when pressing the "DirectMusic test" button, it's just the "Microsoft Synthesizer" that is not working at all.
* I tried various drivers suggested in this forum and on Google - right now I'm using the VXD_A406 driver.
* The control panel shows Realtek AC'97 Audio for Intel(R) Audio Controller, Realtek SB Emulation and Gameport Joystick. There is still ony PCI System Peripheral that I can't figure out what it is for....
* In the Multimedia setup I have a favorite device for playback setup "Realtek Sound Playback (D200)"
* I tried already on two Windows 98 installations, a german one with my original Windows 98 CD and an english one I found online by some guy named "Trevor" - both have the same issue.

Can anybody suggest what I should do next....?