Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Boristhemoggy

Socratis...moderator or forum bully?

Post by Boristhemoggy »

I am shocked at the level of patronising, hypocrisy and insult from a so called moderator.
You should look at yourself carefully and feel shame.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Post by socratis »

Boristhemoggy wrote:I am shocked at the level of patronising, hypocrisy and insult from a so called moderator.
You should look at yourself carefully and feel shame.
I was about to reply to your PM (of the same spirit), but that's OK, if you want it out in the open, I have no problem with it.

This complain is in regards to the topic: How to install software into a virtual machine. Here's a summary of how that thread went:
  • You: I want to run software in a VM.
    Me: Where is the software?
    You: I want to run software in a VM.
    Me: Yes, I got that, but there are a lot of options to run software from: A, B, C...
    You: I want to run software in a VM. What don't you understand?
    Me: I understand, but unless you tell me more details I cannot give you a definitive answer.
    You: You are insulting, you want to prove your knowledge.
    Me: I'm out of here...
    (after another user told you to cool off)
    You: I only lose my cool with arrogant fools...
    Me: Careful, you'll get a warning.
    (after several messages that solved your problem, you came back to pick a fight)
    You: Oh yeah, warn me all you want. You want to prove yourself, you call yourself a moderator? You're patronizing. You are a bully. Tell me the name of your administrator.
    Me: Removed the last insulting message from the thread, since it was adding nothing valuable and locked the topic, since it was already solved.
    You: Posted a new message (the one I'm replying to) in the "Suggestions" forum.
    Me: I moved in the "Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators" where it belongs.
And here we are. I checked and re-checked my answers and my actions. I stand behind them 100%. In fact, I was not harsh at all, because usually users that cannot act in a civilized manner in the forums get a 1- to 7-day ban to cool off. For far less.

In your PM you asked me about the contact info of the administrators. I was about to send you directions to get to the administrators, but this is a place that they really monitor. That's why I moved your message here from the "Suggestions" forum, so that it can be seen by the admins.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I should add that several others contributed to that thread by offering suggestions of how it would be done if the software to be installed was on a CD, or was in a shared folder, etc. To my knowledge this user refused to acknowledge that any of these was the correct scenario. I came to the conclusion that he was being deliberately evasive and defensive, perhaps because the software came from a shady source, e.g. illegal torrent download.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:he was being deliberately evasive and defensive, perhaps because the software came from a shady source, e.g. illegal torrent download.
I had that feeling too, but I couldn't care less where he got his software from. I offered him several options, he refused to pick any of them. But, it doesn't matter anymore...
socratis wrote:users that cannot act in a civilized manner in the forums get a 1- to 7-day ban to cool off. For far less.
After this message he sent me a PM, swearing and threatening to spam the forums. He got a far more extended ban period; a permanent one.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
IOOI
Guest OSses: OPENSTEP, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Windows

Re: The macOS 10.12 guests Window Server crashes from time to time

Post by IOOI »

socratis wrote:
joseluisbz wrote:I have 4 Processors, checking with "sysctl -n hw.ncpu"
No, you do not have 4 physical processors, you have 2. And as I told you, do not assign more than 1 CPU to the VM.
Here's your processor's information from Intel: https://ark.intel.com/products/84984/In ... o-2_70-GHz.
And look at the System Information » Hardware » Total number of cores.
And if you want to use "sysctl", then look at the proper parameter:

Code: Select all

sysctl hw.physicalcpu
sysctl hw.logicalcpu
joseluisbz wrote:Socratis, is it possible to check changes (or differences) between Mac OS X El Capitan 64 bits and General Mac OS X 64bits?
It can be done, but how is that going to help you? You've already found a workaround. The differences are really esoteric and that's why they're not exposed.
Hi Socrates,

isn't it great that joseluisbz found a workaround for that issue? But I ask myself: why are you always so unfriendly to people who report issues here? Have they done any harm to you? Isn't it great that those issues get reported so that they can be fixed one day? Those reports are no critique on the product itself but attempts to make the product better. So please don't take those reports as personally critique.

regards,

Lars
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

IOOI wrote:why are you always so unfriendly to people who report issues here?
Can you please point to me where exactly I was "unfriendly"? I don't see it. Maybe you saw something 1 1/2 months later that I may have missed? I'd really like to see it myself...

You could have sent me a PM, you could have reported this. If you want to go public, let's go, but, let's keep it to a minimum. This is not a VirtualBox issue, this is a beef you have with me...

PS: I moved the two last messages (yours and mine) to the "Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators" from its original thread "The macOS 10.12 guests Window Server crashes from time to time". They didn't belong there, neither were they adding any value to that thread.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

IOOI wrote:But I ask myself: why are you always so unfriendly to people who report issues here?
I'm really curious to see where socratis was unfriendly. Could you point me to the corresponding text?
Guyver
Primary OS: Solaris
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Re: Problem with X11 remote Connection VirtualBox 5.1.16

Post by Guyver »

You might want to check your facts before you decide to be flippant with a customer, unless you enjoy chewing shoe-leather that is.

I *AM* indeed a customer and long time Oracle proponent within my global organization, one of the few who continues to push Oracle products, like Solaris over RHEL. I run VirtualBox under Solaris 11.3 on a laptop as that makes it easier for me to manage our global Solaris infrastructure.

I do not however tolerate gross stupidity, which, in my opinion, was shown by Michaln in their response to a "user" who said they were having the same problem.
It only took me a few seconds to deduce that they meant 5.1.6 when they'd accidentally typed 5.1.16.

I've sent both Michaln's and your account links to our dedicated Oracle reps to see if they appreciate the way you are treating customers (or users - users can become customers or customers can become users or just leave altogether).
I've seen far too many people who *used* to use Oracle products, who look at me like I'm crazy for continuing to use what I consider to be superior products produced by Oracle.
But when people report problems, rather than calling them liars, why not stop to think a minute.

If this is the level of courtesy to be expected from Oracle employees, contractors or moderators, I can see why many people might decide to walk away from Oracle products.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Guyver
I moved your post from "Problem with X11 remote Connection VirtualBox 5.1.16" to the "Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators" for obvious reasons.

I already warned you about foul language and personal attacks (not to me) previously. You might very well be a customer of Oracle. Great. I don't believe that this gives you any more rights to attack and insult people. I don't want to issue another warning within the hour, honestly. But keep this attitude and more than a warning will follow.
Guyver

Post by Guyver »

If i'd ever attacked anyone, you might have a point. If I'd used foul language, you might have a point.
Nothing I said was an attack, nor was anything I said "foul".

Obviously, we have different definitions of "foul language", and you have zero right to impose your definition over mine.

I also call things like I see them. If you or another person are acting stupidly, I'll say that you acted stupidly. If you or someone else are pushing your weight around, acting the schoolyard bully, I'll call you on that as well.
Michaln chose to call a user a liar, rather than spending 30 seconds to think it through. Me being the old soldier that I am, I called bullshit on that action, because bullshit it was.
If you consider farm fresh fertilizer profanity, well, then, that's your issue, not mine. I'm thick skinned, so what you said doesn't bother me. The intent behind what you say does. I took your statement as that of a petty tyrant given a little bit of authority over the minute landscape surrounding your ivory tower. I took your intent to mean "Ooh, I'll show him, I can change his comment and prattle at him! Go Me!!"

Yeah, go you!!
Guyver

Post by Guyver »

As to your comment about "More than a warning will follow."

Enjoy your reprimand.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Look man, if I want to let my tongue loose I can make the devil blush. But I'm in a public forum and there are rules, like every other place that there's interaction between individuals. Especially in written form.

After all, I'm just a poor doctor. In Chem. Engineering. You might need a different discipline, but I wouldn't know for sure which one. I can only guesstimate...
wrtahir
Guest OSses: Windows Vista SP1

Post by wrtahir »

I guess The Login Page Can be Improved. it Doesn't Show remember Me feature. Signup Page Link Also Should Be there to provide ease to new users.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

wrtahir wrote:I guess The Login Page Can be Improved.
AFAIK it remembers you indefinitely, at least as long as you visit regularly.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Don't put too much hope into such proposals... the login page is the generic Oracle login page (and there simply is no option to use anything else) which is the core of the single sign-on solution.