Windows 95 not running on VB

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
sevant

Windows 95 not running on VB

Post by sevant »

Hi.

I'm trying to run Win 95 on my MacOS Sierra 10.12.3. Whenever I start Win95 I get an error message: Windows protection error after setup.
I looked around for some fix but couldnt find one.

Thanks for helping.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 95 not running on VB

Post by socratis »

Windows 95 is a little bit more "difficult" compared to Windows 98. Still, take a look at the tutorials below: And if it doesn't work, we need a lot more details compared to "I'm getting an error". Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
HeathHayle

Post by HeathHayle »

sevant wrote:Hi.

I'm trying to run Win 95 on my MacOS Sierra 10.12.3. Whenever I start Win95 I get an error message: Windows protection error after setup.

Thanks for helping.
hi did you get Windows 95 working? if you didnt was it a fresh partition / format ? try unlocking the partition by booting to dos then type in lock c: hope this helps
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I've never heard that before and I'm highly skeptical about it, but you never know...
In any event, moving to "Windows Guests" from "OSX Hosts".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

"Unlock the partition by typing lock ..." ? Surely not, even leaving aside the typo.

"Windows Protection Error" is AFAIK a CPU GP fault, not a disk issue. Possibly caused by giving the VM way more RAM/VRAM or disk space than was available in the day. Or perhaps the processor or chipset selected is too modern. I'm not sure why playing with the lock semaphore for the hard drive would influence this kind of fault. Ok, maybe if you did it while the OS was live, but during the install? Nah.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

It may seem unbelievable but it is true. You lock a drive to be able to write to it and unlock to keep it from being written to in the good old days of DOS. Only works in the 95 98 versions maybe xp but my memory is not good going that far back. Still I can't actually remember when I used this command and what prompted it to be necessary on a build. Oh well I will leave that discussion to you windows guys. :wink:
francescocariati

Post by francescocariati »

sevant wrote:Hi.

Thanks for helping.
Hi,
I've had the same issue Win95 Protection Error on virtualbox on macos, but I've found a solution to it, check it out:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82787&p=406858#p406858