crash (bluescreen) when copying files

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Helminthe

crash (bluescreen) when copying files

Post by Helminthe »

Hello,
Since the update to Ubuntu Inteprid - I am aware of course that it is alpha - and thus to kernel 2.6.27, I can reliably crash the guest (XP SP3) when copying certain type of files from the guest to the host shared folder. Excel files do this, and not only when copying, also when saving after editing directly on the share.
Helminthe

Post by Helminthe »

Sorry for not offering full details above - i run the latest version of Vbox OSE, with the guest additions iso from the SUN binary package -the OSE one doesn't include it and the link http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.0.2/ which then links to http://dlc-cdn-rd.sun.com/c1/virtualbox ... _2.0.2.iso does not work.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Is the OSE version 2.0.0? If so, remove it completely and install the PUEL version. You can use the Hardy package for the time being. Make sure that you disable the webclient service too, as it's reported that that service can cause a BSOD with SF too (error file is mrxdav.sys, or similar).
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Helminthe

Post by Helminthe »

Hello, and thank you for the hints. The OSE is 2.0.2, from the Intrepid repo - Filename: pool/universe/v/virtualbox-ose/virtualbox-ose_2.0.2-dfsg-0ubuntu3_i386.deb
I see no reference in it to a webclient service?
Helminthe

Post by Helminthe »

I should have read your post with both eyes open, it's a guest issue you mentioned. This link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832143 seems to describe it, but it's a pre-SP2 issue, and I have SP3. Will try to contact Microsoft.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Helminthe wrote:I should have read your post with both eyes open, it's a guest issue you mentioned. This link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832143 seems to describe it, but it's a pre-SP2 issue, and I have SP3. Will try to contact Microsoft.
Even if it's pre-SP2, I had it with both SP2 up2date and SP3 up2date. The error was almost instant with SF, took a while with normal shares. Disabling that service solved it for me and other users.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Helminthe

Post by Helminthe »

Unfortunately the suggested fix did not work. The guest system still crashes every time I open an Excel file from the host shared folder, edit anything and save. I have obtained the hotfix from Microsoft, installed it but it did not solve the problem. Also, I have re-installed SP3 and all subsequent updates, disabled the webclient service - same problem. The "error reporting" utility from Microsoft suggested a buggy BIOS, because - quote message: "During the crash analysis, we noticed the basic input/output (BIOS) system version on this computer does not match the specifications for the central processing unit (CPU)". This might actually be a reasonable explanation, as my configuration is far from standard: XP SP3, running in VirtualBox 2.0.2 in Ubuntu 8.10 (2.6.27) on a MacBook Pro. Still, everything was running perfectly when I was using XP SP3 (absolutely nothing modified in the guest, I revert to a snapshot after doing whatever tasks are needed), VirtualBox 1.6.6 and Ubuntu 8.04 (2.6.24), same MacBook.
Helminthe

Post by Helminthe »

A bit more info: no vxd or dll is referred, you can check the screenshot and the log file if they help with debugging.