AMD-V with Ryzen not yet supported?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Eugor

AMD-V with Ryzen not yet supported?

Post by Eugor »

I'm using a Win10 64 Host + WinXP 32 Guest on a ASRock b350 pro4 + Ryzen 1700. Everything regarding virtualization is enabled on the latest stable BIOS.
Enabling AMD-V in Virtual Box makes WinXP boot with a black screen after the initial loading screen. Disabling only Nested Paging doesn't change anything.

Is AMD-V not yet supported?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: AMD-V with Ryzen not yet supported?

Post by Perryg »

Is AMD-V not yet supported?
Sure it is. But Ryzen is still a work in progress since it was just released. I see work being done but I would not expect it to work/properly for a while.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Is it "AMD-V not supported" or "Windows XP doesn't know what to do with Ryzen"? You didn't even provide a VBox.log, so your guess is as good as anyone else's.

According to e.g. this,, VirtualBox does work on Ryzen.
Petr Vones
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10 64-bit

Post by Petr Vones »

Perryg wrote:But Ryzen is still a work in progress since it was just released. I see work being done but I would not expect it to work/properly for a while.
Can you be more specific about the "while", please ? I think about a new Ryzen based machine (instead of Intel one to balance the Intel's dominance) for software development but the VirtualBox reliability is mandatory. 64-bit Windows host and guests only, no 3D. Thanks.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

IMHO If reliability is mandatory, I would stick with what works. I have tested AMD several times and find it inferior to Intel.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

Perryg wrote:IMHO If reliability is mandatory, I would stick with what works. I have tested AMD several times and find it inferior to Intel.
We use AMD systems quite a lot (not Ryzen but various generation of AMD CPUs going back to 2006 or so) and they work just fine. Definitely not inferior to Intel in general, and massively better price/performance ratio. If the point is that it in the last few years it was not possible to find an AMD CPU that had performance competitive with Intel then that's entirely true, but that's what Ryzen is all about, isn't it.

Without competition, all we get from Intel is the same old stuff at the same old (high) price.
Petr Vones

Post by Petr Vones »

Lets wait several months to see how it develops, there will be more user experiences. In the past most issues of AMD systems were due to crappy chipsets, namely nVidia ones. This is hopefully resolved now.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

Petr Vones wrote:Lets wait several months to see how it develops, there will be more user experiences. In the past most issues of AMD systems were due to crappy chipsets, namely nVidia ones. This is hopefully resolved now.
That's been my impression too. AMD CPUs were often sold with cheap boards using questionable chipsets, and of course that caused trouble. With a Supermicro or a Tyan workstation/server board, it's a different story.

Anyway, VirtualBox does work on Ryzen CPUs with AMD-V. There may be problems with specific hosts/guests but in general it works.
Petr Vones

Post by Petr Vones »

michaln wrote:Anyway, VirtualBox does work on Ryzen CPUs with AMD-V. There may be problems with specific hosts/guests but in general it works.
I am interested in experience with software development in Microsoft Visual Studio in guest system (Windows Server 2016 Standard typically). There were issues with memory corruptions under debugger in older VirtualBox versions caused by something deep in VT-x code. Similar "corner" issues might raise for AMD-V as more AMD systems are expected now.
docholly

Post by docholly »

my solution was to change the configuration to
system: paravirtualization interface to legacy
and hardware virtualization deactivated (Enable VT-x/AMD-V)
worked for me.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

Petr Vones wrote:
michaln wrote:Anyway, VirtualBox does work on Ryzen CPUs with AMD-V. There may be problems with specific hosts/guests but in general it works.
I am interested in experience with software development in Microsoft Visual Studio in guest system (Windows Server 2016 Standard typically). There were issues with memory corruptions under debugger in older VirtualBox versions caused by something deep in VT-x code. Similar "corner" issues might raise for AMD-V as more AMD systems are expected now.
I don't think we should run into those issues with Ryzen and even if we do, debugging should be simpler than on Intel. My expectation with Ryzen is more towards supporting new virtualization features than bugs with existing code (e.g. afaik, Ryzen is the first publicly available AMD CPU with support for their AVIC - Advanced Virtual Interrupt Controller feature)
Oracle Corp.
Sean2

Post by Sean2 »

I am having the same issue with a Ryzen CPU, Windows 10 64 bit host, Windows XP 32 bit guest. Back screen after boot unless AMD-V is disabled. I've found setting paravirtualization interface to "HyperV" gives acceptable performance, so the only downside is that the VM is limited to 1 CPU.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

Sean2 wrote:I am having the same issue with a Ryzen CPU, Windows 10 64 bit host, Windows XP 32 bit guest. Back screen after boot unless AMD-V is disabled. I've found setting paravirtualization interface to "HyperV" gives acceptable performance, so the only downside is that the VM is limited to 1 CPU.
They paravirtualization setting does nothing for XP guests.

How certain are you that XP even runs on that CPU? At any rate, since no one can provide even the most basic diagnostic information, there's really nothing to say.
y_d

Post by y_d »

I have been facing the same problem trying to install 32-bit XP guest under 64-bit Win10 with Ryzen 1600. The VirtualBox guest just showed blank screen shortly after the installer rebooted. I have attached my VBox.log for your information.
64-bit XP installs and runs without problems, though. However it seems many need to use 32-bit XP guests, at least for me, for localization and compatibility etc.
Attachments
XP_VBox_log.7z
(13.53 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
zypA13510

Post by zypA13510 »

Hi, I'm facing the same issue here. I'm using the latest VirtualBox client (5.1.20) on Windows 10 64-bit host with Ryzen 1700 and ROG Crosshair VI Hero motherboard (SVM enabled of course).
I tried to install 32-bit Windows XP guest on VirtualBox yesterday, and after the first reboot during the installation, when it is supposed to boot from harddisk to continue the setup, it simply shows a blackscreen, after the Windows logo screen. (The setup is not running, judging from the HDD status icon, so it probably isn't problem with the display).
I turned off the VT-x/AMD-V setting, and reduced CPU core count to 1, then everything runs just fine. Don't know if it is problem with VirtualBox or the XP itself.
Log file attached.
Attachments
VBoxLog.zip
(21.98 KiB) Downloaded 286 times