Problems with Netflix Streaming Video in Vista

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
shirsch

Problems with Netflix Streaming Video in Vista

Post by shirsch »

I'm running Vista home premium 32 bit version on virtualbox 2.0.2, on a 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo macbook pro with 4 gigs of memory. It's a pretty powerful machine, so I figured it would have no trouble using Netflix's "Watch Instantly" feature. However, every time I try to play a movie it is extremely choppy and unwatchable. I have played around with allocating all different amounts of memory and video memory to the virtual machine, but none of my changes made even the slightest difference in how the Netflix movies play.

I'm at a loss...is there something I'm missing, or some optimal settings that I haven't discovered? Anyone else run into this problem?

Hope someone can help,
Thanks,
Stephen
shirsch

Post by shirsch »

or to try a different approach, does anyone here watch netflix instant movies on vista on virtualbox? if so, what's your setup?
ridithil
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: windows xp , windows 7, ubuntu

Re: Problems with Netflix Streaming Video in Vista

Post by ridithil »

I am having the same problem. But i am running a ubuntu guest on windows 7 host and trying to watch Hulu. Hulu does fine in regular mode. But when i put it in full screen is becomes way to choppy to watch. And my computer is also quick enough with AMD Phenom, 6 gb of ram, and a ATI 3780.
Sorry if i posted in the wrong spot, i figured this might show that is isn't specific to the host/guest arangement.
aviynw
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by aviynw »

I am having the same problem with a windows xp guest. Youtube videos are a little choppy. Hulu a little more. And netflix is unbearable. I know watching these videos smoothly is possible with my computer and settings because I've done it before. I've recently switched linux distributions which must have a different version of virtualbox than my other one. So far, I've tested this with a windows xp guest in virtualbox 2.1.2 as well as 2.1.4. The curious thing is that I can watch youtube videos that I download fine which makes me think it's actually an internet problem. If I run taskmanager and monitor my internet usage it looks very spiky while watching videos, is that normal? If I run online speed tests they report I have a 3.5mb connection and that my latency is fine, thought I can't seem to find one that will report my lowest point. I've tried every combination of connection types and drivers. I'm going to install an old version of virtualbox that I likely used before and see if that helps.
SlaunchaMan
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 18.04

Post by SlaunchaMan »

If you install Microsoft Silverlight, you can stream Netflix movies without using Windows.
aviynw

Post by aviynw »

Care to elaborate? I was under the impression that netflix used drm technology that wouldn't allow you to use it under linux even if you installed moonlight(silverlight for linux). I also searched to see if this was possible to do this via wine. I haven't tried myself, but my searches told me that this was likewise impossible

*I see you use a mac, I'm guessing you are referring to macs then.
SlaunchaMan

Post by SlaunchaMan »

It uses Silverlight, so Mac OS X (and even Linux!) clients can use Microsoft's DRM.

http://blog.netflix.com/2008/10/opt-in- ... layer.html

VirtualBox is great software, but why use it if you don't need to?
aviynw

Post by aviynw »

1. You're wrong. It doesn't work in Linux.
2. the update to virtualbox 2.2 fixed my problem!!! Still don't know what caused it. Now netflix runs smoothly
SlaunchaMan

Post by SlaunchaMan »

aviynw wrote:1. You're wrong. It doesn't work in Linux.
I'm not sure why you're taking such a tone, but theoretically it should work using Mono. If that's not the case, then it's not the case. I don't work for Microsoft or Netflix, so don't get mad at me about it.

In either case, if this is a Linux question, why did you post it in the "VirtualBox on Mac OS X Hosts" forum?