Window position not saved correctly... (#16623)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Starion

Window position not saved correctly... (#16623)

Post by Starion »

[ModEdit; related ticket: #16623: Window position not saved correctly...]
Since upgrading to version 5.1.18, the VirtualBox Manager window will not save where placed by about a menu bar's height. Any place you put it on the desktop will place it approximately 20 pixels down from where you actually last left it upon relaunch of VirtualBox. Anybody else seen this?

Additional Note: Just confirmed this on a completely different OSX machine. Same problem.

OSX 10.12.4
Last edited by socratis on 14. Feb 2018, 19:52, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Window position not saved correctly...

Post by socratis »

1. Did both OSX machines run 10.12.4?
  2. Quit VirtualBox (and make sure no Virtual*, VM*, VBox* processes are in the Activity Monitor), grab a copy of "~/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml". Run VirtualBox again and grab a fresh copy. ZIP them together and attach them to your response.
Any "other" software you might have installed? Besides the system defaults I mean...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Starion

Post by Starion »

1. Yes, all tested machines are running 10.12.4. However, the problem also existed in 10.12.3 and only started upon upgrading VirtualBox to 5.1.18.
2. Files attached.

Of course there is "other" software. Too numerous to list in detail. But considering all OSX machines I have tested on so far (5) have entirely different sets of "other" software, and one that is stock Sierra install with latest updates, it's unlikely that other software is the cause.
Attachments
Archive.zip
(1.98 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Starion wrote:only started upon upgrading VirtualBox to 5.1.18.
Actually, I went back several 5.1.x versions, and as back as 4.3.24, with several tests in between. There is a bug definitely, introduced in the 5.1.x series. Even 5.0.36 works OK (which is two weeks old), but anything 5.1.x won't.

Workaround: maximize the window's y-size, from Menu Bar to Dock.

PS. Boy, this brings back memories.. It was on my very first post in the forums that was dealing with a related bug: VM window position moves by 22 pixels (LastWindowPostion)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Starion

Post by Starion »

So are you going to generate a bug report or should I?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'll let you do the honors. ;)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Ticket #16623.