Crackling sound in Windows 10 64-bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
junktext

Re: Crackling sound in Windows 10 64-bit

Post by junktext »

Yeah, I'm having the same issue with the crackling/popping sound in Windows 10 (64-bit guest VM) on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (64-bit host machine), using VirtualBox 5.1.6 r110634. I have the latest Guest Additions and Extension Pack installed for VirtualBox as well. I think this is a recent problem with Windows 10 and/or VirtualBox, since I would tend to watch the show Mr. Robot on my Win10 VM since I couldn't stream their video natively on Linux. So, I think about a month ago I was able to hear the audio just fine (as I haven't watched an episode in that long) so I'm not sure what's going on. Also, it's not related to the web browser in the Win10 VM, because just doing a basic sound test will still result in the infamous crackling sounds.

If it helps, my Win10 VM is set to use my Linux sound as such:

Host Driver: PulseAudio
Controller: Intel HD Audio

I tried playing around with those settings and it would either not fix anything or would break my sound or even the VM itself. So, I switched those settings to the default listed above.
wwy

Post by wwy »

Before Oracle getting this fixed, I have found a workaround to solve this issue. Just to loop a silent wav file (44.1K, 16 bits) at background using Windows Media Player in the Guest before playing any other media, then every other media played in the guest will be nice and smooth. If it doesn't work, close the Windows Media Player and try to stop every media playing in the guest, wait a few seconds, then start the Windows Media Player to loop the silent wav again. It works for me.

(Virtual Box 5.1.8,
Host:
- Windows 10 Home Anniversary update
- Native Sound Dev: Realtek HD Audio
Guests:
- Windows 10 Pro / Windows 7 Pro
- Emulated Sound Dev: Intel HD Audio
)
KaeptnIglu

Post by KaeptnIglu »

I have the same issue (crackling sound):
Windows 10 64 bit on iMac with OS Sierra
VB 5.1.8.
Extension 5.1.8.r111374
Host Audio driver Core audio
Audio Controller Intel HD Audio
The problem startet after upgrading from W 7 Pro to W 10 Pro.

Same problem with MBA on OS Yosemite

Any suggestions?
Last edited by KaeptnIglu on 21. Nov 2016, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

KaeptnIglu wrote:Any suggestions?
5.1.x has had some audio problems. Either wait for them to get fixed or try to downgrade to the latest 5.0.x series. BTW, did you actually read where you posted? Linux hosts...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
KaeptnIglu

Post by KaeptnIglu »

Thank you Socrates. No, I did not realise - I googelt about the issue and came here.

Sorry. I should try to find the right forum, but it may be helpful to know that the issue is just about the same - linux or Mac.
squall leonhart
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 8, 10, Android x86

Post by squall leonhart »

the crackling isn't the only issue, virtualbox doesn't even map multichannel speaker configurations to the host correctly.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

squall leonhart wrote:multichannel speaker configurations
Have you noticed the part where you set the audio card to be presented in your guest? Under VM settings » Audio » Audio controller? That's a fake virtual audio card. It does stereo. That's it. Period. You want multi-channel support? I'm sure it's one of the priorities for the developers. Right-after the get audio working again. On a basic level...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
miguelson

Post by miguelson »

socratis wrote:
KaeptnIglu wrote:Any suggestions?
5.1.x has had some audio problems. Either wait for them to get fixed or try to downgrade to the latest 5.0.x series. BTW, did you actually read where you posted? Linux hosts...
I am using 5.0.32 and still facing the same issue.
Orazio77

Post by Orazio77 »

I have this problem!! Vbox 5.1.16
kvbuser

Post by kvbuser »

Yeah, add me too.
Host: Ubuntu 16.04 64bit
Guest: Win10Pro 64bit
Platform: Dell XPS 15 9055

Experienced Vbox user, correct ext packs and guest additions installed etc.
Vbox Version 5.1.18 r114002 (Qt5.5.1)
billikumar

Post by billikumar »

I am finally able to get the audio working by doing the following, Looks like the problem resides in the HD Audio Driver.

1. Shut down the windows 10 VM. Open the Settings navigate to Audio section
2. Change the "Host Audio Driver" to "ALSA Audio Driver". (Pulse Audio also works but it still had stutters)
3. Change the "Audio Controller" to "ICH AC97".
4. Boot to windows 10. Windows will show as audio device missing which is expected.
5. Install the ac97 driver as specified in the stack overflow link. ( I am unable to add the link here because virutal box forums does not allow new members to post links. please add a dot between stackoverflow and com) stackoverflow com/questions/28134018/microphone-in-windows-10-in-virtualbox
6.Restart the VM.

HOST Linux 4.10.4-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT x86_64 GNU/Linux
ALSA Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k4.10.4-1-MANJARO.
PULSE pulseaudio 10.0
Virtual Box 5.1.18 r114002
Guest Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB.
Vadi2

Post by Vadi2 »

Seems to have worked!
miguelson

Post by miguelson »

It worked! Thx a lot!
nbi
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP32, XP64, WIN7-64

Post by nbi »

This thread is "crackling sound" not "audio doesn't work". So to everyone who says "it worked" do you mean the crackling is gone? Completely?

I've been battling this problem for a long time and opened a bug report some time ago. I've monitored each release to see if it would fix the problem. 5.1.18 didn't seem to fix the problem so I gave the Realtek AC97 driver a try.

The good news is that continuous audio such as music seems to be crackling free. However short audio bursts emitted by the speaker test or by games still have crackling. I think this is a problem with interrupt handling.

For XP guests I was able to minimize the problem so that it rarely occurs. I did this by nice-ing the Pulseaudio process so that it has the maximum priority. This also seemed to minimize the crackling on Windows 7 guests, but for reasons unknown it's still a problem on Windows 10. There is a low latency sound API for Windows 10 (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ency-audio), but I don't think VirtualBox makes use of it (I suggested this to VirtualBox but never received a response). Ultimately it may take low level tuning to lay this problem to rest for Windows 10. Unfortunately the VirtualBox devs don't seem to be setting time aside to focus on this.

Long story short - on Windows 10 we may be stuck with crackling in certain scenarios until a comprehensive effort is made to remedy this. And that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.
Chugmonkey

Post by Chugmonkey »

billikumar wrote: 1. Shut down the windows 10 VM. Open the Settings navigate to Audio section
2. Change the "Host Audio Driver" to "ALSA Audio Driver". (Pulse Audio also works but it still had stutters)
3. Change the "Audio Controller" to "ICH AC97".
4. Boot to windows 10. Windows will show as audio device missing which is expected.
5. Install the ac97 driver as specified in the stack overflow link. ( I am unable to add the link here because virutal box forums does not allow new members to post links. please add a dot between stackoverflow and com) stackoverflow com/questions/28134018/microphone-in-windows-10-in-virtualbox
6.Restart the VM.
Perfect answer. Smooth audio and games work great as well - thank you!