1.6.2 Update: Failed to access vdi image

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
AlGaN
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP SP3

1.6.2 Update: Failed to access vdi image

Post by AlGaN »

Hello,

I was forced to update from 1.5.6 to 1.6.2 recently because of system change from Suse 10.3 to Kubuntu 8.04 Linux distro.

Because of some problems with mouse/keyboard capturing in 1.6.2 I chose to clone the old images for the new version 1.6.2 with the command:
VBoxManage clonevdi /path/to/oldimage.vdi /path/to/newimage.vdi
But this fails on one XP-image with the error:
VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 1.6.2
(C) 2005-2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
All rights reserved.

[!] FAILED calling virtualBox->OpenVirtualDiskImage(Bstr(argv[0]), vdi.asOutParam()) at line 3306!
[!] Primary RC = NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) - Operation failed
[!] Full error info present: true , basic error info present: true
[!] Result Code = NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) - Operation failed
[!] Text = Could not access hard disk image '/media/disk/vb/WindowsXP7/WindowsXP.vdi' (VERR_VDI_INVALID_HEADER)
[!] Component = HardDisk, Interface: IHardDisk, {fd443ec1-000f-4f5b-9282-d72760a66916}
[!] Callee = IVirtualBox, {2d3b9ea7-25f5-4f07-a8e1-7dd7e0dcf667}
Also I cannot import the vdi image in the manager for virtual media (same error).
Is there any workaround to convert old vdi images?

2nd problem is that in new version VB takes almost all cpu performance, staying at 75-80 % all the time even if the VM has nothing to do! This was not the case in 1.5.6 (Pentium M Laptop of the 1st generation, 1.6 GHz CPU)

Thanks for any hints.
AlGaN

PS: Ok, I have found the plcae to download the older 1.5.6 versions of VB, so I have a workaround for now. Nevertheless I'd look forward to a solution of my problems above. Thanks
rangnar

Can't boot from VDI with snapshots

Post by rangnar »

Same with me.

After upgrading with debian lenny amd6+4 from 1.5.4-ose to 1.6.2-ose (had to compile the modules myself like ever) I can't boot the Win2K.vdi which has snapshots.

Even when compacting the image, no boot happens.

Every other mashine & image without snapshots works.

Error message. A disk read error occurred

But I can access the vdi by starting from the Installation CD with the rescue mode.Nothing odd there.

Any help?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Can't boot from VDI with snapshots

Post by Sasquatch »

rangnar wrote:Same with me.

After upgrading with debian lenny amd6+4 from 1.5.4-ose to 1.6.2-ose (had to compile the modules myself like ever) I can't boot the Win2K.vdi which has snapshots.

Even when compacting the image, no boot happens.

Every other mashine & image without snapshots works.

Error message. A disk read error occurred

But I can access the vdi by starting from the Installation CD with the rescue mode.Nothing odd there.

Any help?
Saved states and snapshots are not compatible when upgrading from 1.5.x to 1.6.x. Please discard them. If you don't want to discard them, downgrade to your previous version, merge it and then upgrade back.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
bwh1969

Post by bwh1969 »

Ubuntu 8.04 Host, XP Guest

I have a similar issue except that I did not have a "saved" snapshot of any machine.

Oddly, I cloned the VDI to an SD card, and then cloned it again to another machine... that machine was able to upgrade to 1.6 with 1.5.6 VDI and run it.

It just lists the disk as "inaccessible" with a reference of some header needing to be 1.3 and the vdi is 1.2... so for some reason on this one machine, it is not "updating" something on the disk image.

Should I purge some things before upgrading to 1.6? I tried deleting the .VirtualBox folder from my home directory, installing 1.6, then creating a new machine. Doing this: I get the blue screen of death with XP and it won't boot.

If I downgrade to 1.5.6, delete .VirtualBox from home, and recreate the machine, it works.
fethio

distro switch breaks virtual machine

Post by fethio »

when I tried to migrate a vdi file (along with the pyhsical disk that contains it) across computers (running different linux distros), virtual machine crashes during bootup (with a blue terminal screen just after the windows splash screen appears). would anyone be interested in examining my Vbox.log file :)

i think I was running an older version previously (maybe 1.5.6), while the new machine has 2.0.2. the question is do I have to an update on the vdi file?

It seems VBoxManage has an option clonevdi and some people in the forum mention using it. i tried running the command VBoxManage with clonedvi option, which created a new dvi image, but that did not help. I still get the blue crash screen during bootup of virtual XP.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: distro switch breaks virtual machine

Post by Sasquatch »

fethio wrote:when I tried to migrate a vdi file (along with the pyhsical disk that contains it) across computers (running different linux distros), virtual machine crashes during bootup (with a blue terminal screen just after the windows splash screen appears). would anyone be interested in examining my Vbox.log file :)

i think I was running an older version previously (maybe 1.5.6), while the new machine has 2.0.2. the question is do I have to an update on the vdi file?

It seems VBoxManage has an option clonevdi and some people in the forum mention using it. i tried running the command VBoxManage with clonedvi option, which created a new dvi image, but that did not help. I still get the blue crash screen during bootup of virtual XP.
Please see the VirtualBox FAQ about upgrade issues on Windows Guests.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
fixedwheel
Volunteer

Post by fixedwheel »

fethio wrote:across computers (running different linux distros),
and different hardware?
fethio wrote:virtual machine crashes during bootup (with a blue terminal screen just after the windows splash screen appears)
i dont know but i think that a corrupt vdi would die before - when vbox tries to access

can you boot a linux live-CD ISO file (gparted, Ubuntu Install-CD, Knoppix ...) attached to this virtual machine and see if you can have a look inside the vdi?
fethio

Post by fethio »

fixedwheel wrote: and different hardware?
yes, different hardware. both are i386 systems, the vidoe cards are different, the one I am trying to boot now is a compaq laptop. the previous one was a built pc with an ATI radeon graphics. I removed the hard disk (IDE) and attach it to the laptop using a USB IDE portable disk device, which is well recongnized in linux.
fixedwheel wrote:can you boot a linux live-CD ISO file (gparted, Ubuntu Install-CD, Knoppix ...) attached to this virtual machine and see if you can have a look inside the vdi?
I've tried booting the virtual machine using a live CD, and had success. Analyzed the hard disk image in the vdi file, I can see files and folders all right...

Thanks for the feedback fixedwheel, now I wonder if I should try booting up using a windows install disk, and try to do a repair of the OS?

BTW, I was able to capture the crash scene:

Then I ran CHKDSK /P, which reported that it encountered errors in the volume. Next time I ran it, no errors were reported, so presumably they were fixed by CHKDSK the first time it was ran. Didn't Work !!

The XP crash occurs when a module called mup.sys (I'm not so sure about the extension) is being loaded
fethio

SOLVED

Post by fethio »

From the VirtualBox FAQ, http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=8669 ...
Q: I upgraded from 1.5.x to 1.6.x and now my Windows Guests keeps booting with a BSOD.
A: Check your VM settings. Go to General, tab Advanced and make sure that the IDE Controller is on PIIX3 and not PIIX4. Now boot your VM.
This has done the job for me, my vdi file is now working in its new environment...

Thanks Sasquatch and fixedwheel...