Discussion of Problems due to Hardened Security

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Torchwood
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Xubuntu, Mint

Re: Discussion of Problems due to Hardened Security

Post by Torchwood »

zonev1 wrote:Problem started after reinstalling, worked fine before (same version, nothing changed on pc). Already added exclusions to the programs folder and .exe, uninstalled Malwarebytes and deactivated Windows Defender too. Windows 10 64bit - v1607
I noticed that you are missing the January cumulative update for Windows. See history here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... te-history

I was having these issues after a reboot, until I updated to 1607 with the latest Windows update. I am now running Windows 10 version 1607 Build 14393.693 and VirtualBox 5.1.14 without any issues.

I can't say for sure what fixed it for me, but maybe Microsoft corrected something?
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." — Albert Einstein
zonev1

Post by zonev1 »

Torchwood wrote: .
Says that I already have it when I try to install.
Attachments
Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_4.png (7.16 KiB) Viewed 9635 times
zonev1

Post by zonev1 »

I fixed it. I simply disabled the theme I was using on windows... Didn't even need to restart. Weird thing to interfere with VM, thanks for all the help.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

zonev1 wrote:I fixed it. I simply disabled the theme I was using on windows... ... Weird thing to interfere with VM
A hacked theme? Thats only weird if you haven't read any of the preceding discussion.
vladbuk

Post by vladbuk »

Hello. There was a similar problem.
After i upgrade to 5.1.14 I got an error

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the Ubuntu 16.04 virtual machines.

The virtual machine 'Ubuntu 16.04' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'D: \ Virtual_Disk \ Ubuntu 16.04 \ Logs \ VBoxHardening.log'.

Error code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}
I tried to roll back to a previous version 5.1.12 - didn't help.
Information about the system:
Windows 7 Version 6.1.7601
Avast Antivirus Free
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(16.39 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Had you read the thread so far, you'd have noticed that the standard recommendations are:
  • From an elevated command prompt run "sfc /scannow".
  • Disable Avast real-time scanning. It that doesn't help,
  • Disable Avast. If that doesn't help,
  • Uninstall Avast.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vladbuk

Post by vladbuk »

Sorry for the stupid questions and thanks for the help. Problem solved after the "sfc /scannow" command
xollob

Post by xollob »

Thank you! I had exactly the same issue and error message, and sfc /scannow fixed it.
Might be unrelated, but Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable 12.0.21005 was installed between when Virtualbox was working and then failed.
The VBoxHardening log was pointing to a verification failure in the C runtime.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@xollob
Nice finding. Yes, unfortunately the whole installation process by MSI is not exactly the most robust process in software. It's had/having its share of problems. A big share that is. I mean they have a second tool to scan the mistakes of their first tool...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TCH87

Post by TCH87 »

Hi, i still have this problem, no clue where to start

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67840&start=435#p385653
Last edited by socratis on 6. Mar 2017, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Modified URL.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@TCH87
I will allow a "bump" message for your problem (I changed the URL to point to the actual post instead of the VBoxHardening.zip). What i will NOT allow, is for you to post 5 messages in different old, unrelated threads. Plus a personal message. All of these have been deleted. Do not repeat that tactic.

Now, please tell me which of the things you have tried from the advice so far. Take a look 3 posts above your last post, in my summary of what you should try towards solving the hardening issues. Instead of where it says "Avast" you think "Symantec".
TCH87

Post by TCH87 »

Apologies, I just saw that there was an answer to somebody else and not to me, so I thought my post was lost... again my apologies for that.

I haven't try to uninstall Symantec, only disabling it, but it did not work.

A way to make it work for a while is to make a complete VirtualBox uninstall (delete manually folders in users/username/.VirtualBox, reboot,and install again. Sometimes this procedure works, other times it fails and upon reboot it stops working.

I ran system scan too, without being able to solve the issue after it finished. It did found some corrupt files that was unable to fix.
Last edited by socratis on 8. Mar 2017, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Torchwood
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Xubuntu, Mint

Post by Torchwood »

TCH87 wrote:
A way to make it work for a while is to make a complete VirtualBox uninstall (delete manually folders in users/username/.VirtualBox, reboot,and install again. Sometimes this procedure works, other times it fails and upon reboot it stops working.

I ran system scan too, without being able to solve the issue after it finished. It did found some corrupt files that was unable to fix.
When I was having this problem, it was just as you described, re-install, reboot, etc. Following a reboot, I would get the VBOX error.

However, if I waited for a while following a reboot, VBOX would eventually start working again, without needed to re-install. I can't help thinking that Windows was doing something in the background after a reboot that interfered with VBOX. Typically when I was testing, I would try to launch VBOX immediately after a reboot, and it would fail due to hardening. But after a while I tried watching task manager and waited for the system to get completely idle again. Then it would work.

I can't guarantee that this will work for you, but maybe it's worth checking out.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." — Albert Einstein
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

TCH87 wrote:I just saw that there was an answer to somebody else and not to me, so I thought my post was lost...
Sometimes posts can be forgotten, left unanswered because nobody know the answer, so on, so forth. No harm done ;)
TCH87 wrote:I haven't try to uninstall Symantec, only disabling it, but it did not work.
Yes, I was afraid of that. There are kernel drivers that are loaded no matter if the engine is running or not. Try to uninstall it completely. But before you do that,
TCH87 wrote:I ran system scan too, without being able to solve the issue after it finished. It did found some corrupt files that was unable to fix.
Hmm... Try to reboot in safe mode. Then run "sfc /scannow". See if that gets you anywhere closer to running VirtualBox. I'm seeing some errors in the "wintab" DLL, which might get fixed like that.
Tshunglee

Post by Tshunglee »

I have the same issue that Virtualbox v5.1.14 and v5.1.16 can not start vm on Windows 10