How to install software into a virtual machine

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Boristhemoggy

How to install software into a virtual machine

Post by Boristhemoggy »

I have installed Virtual Box, it's running fine. I've got Windows XP installed on my Windows 10 machine, that's running fine. Everything is hunky dory except, I can't find a way to install software onto the virtual windows xp installation!
I've tried everything and I can't see a way to do it.
Am I missing something simple here?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to install software into a virtual machine

Post by socratis »

Boristhemoggy wrote:I've tried everything
Can you explain exactly what have you tried? Everything is a ... big word ;)

Because there are several ways to get "things" inside the VM, depending on what "things" is. ISO? Installer? Something else? Where does it come from? An example of what you want to do would help...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BelJoost

Post by BelJoost »

Boristhemoggy wrote:Am I missing something simple here?
Did you read the manual on e.g. removable media?
Or try to download something from the internet; or browse a shared folder on the host?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Just for completion, I can think of the following ways to get data in the VM (and I may be missing something). All of those come with an "If supported" sign:
  • ISO files.
  • CD passthrough.
  • Shared folders.
  • USB drives.
  • Network shares.
  • Drag'n'Drop.
  • Common VDIs or IMGs.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If I might read between the lines, I imagine that the OP has software on CD that he'd like to install, but doesn't know how the VM gets at the CD.

The answer is to insert the CD in a host drive, and mount it in the VM by clicking the Devices menu, then from it choose Optical drives | Host drive <x>. This associates that host drive with the virtual drive seen by the guest. If you want a more pleasant experience then first image the CD using ImgBurn or similar, then in the guest you would choose the ISO file instead of a host drive. The ISO will be faster and also silent.
Boristhemoggy

Post by Boristhemoggy »

socratis wrote:Just for completion, I can think of the following ways to get data in the VM (and I may be missing something). All of those come with an "If supported" sign:
  • ISO files.
  • CD passthrough.
  • Shared folders.
  • USB drives.
  • Network shares.
  • Drag'n'Drop.
  • Common VDIs or IMGs.
Shared folders: I could not fathom how to share one :(
USB drives, it simply does not show my USB key
Drag and drop: a big red circle with a line through tells me I am not allowed to drag and drop and sure enough, if I select the file in windows 10, drag it to the windows 7 window and try to drop it into a folder, it doesn't let me.

IMG, so if I want to install for example daemon tools, I need to make an iso of it first? If so, what then do I do with it? If the explanation is in the documentation then I've spent all morning missing it.

What do I want to do? Well run a Windows 7 installation on my Windows 10 machine, so that I can run software that only runs on Windows 7. Getting the software into the Win7 virtual machine is the sticking point.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The list was just an example of what "everything" could include. I do not want to go through each and every one of them. You can read the manual for details [1]. Most of them work in your case, if not all of them.

That's why I asked you. Do you have the installer? In what format? ISO? CD? USB? Executable installer? Are you interested in transferring files between the host and the guest or do you want complete isolation? State your end goal and we'll guide you. But please use details. "I want to run a program" is too vague I'm afraid, that's why there are so many options to choose from.

[1]
Boristhemoggy wrote:If the explanation is in the documentation then I've spent all morning missing it.
Boristhemoggy wrote:Shared folders: I could not fathom how to share one
Chapter 4.3 Shared folders.
Boristhemoggy wrote:USB drives, it simply does not show my USB key
Chapter 3.10.1 USB settings.
Boristhemoggy wrote:Drag and drop: a big red circle with a line through tells me I am not allowed to drag and drop and sure enough, if I select the file in windows 10, drag it to the windows 7 window and try to drop it into a folder, it doesn't let me.
Chapter 4.2.1 Guest Additions for Windows. Enable DnD in the VM settings.
Boristhemoggy

Post by Boristhemoggy »

"State your end goal and we'll guide you. But please use details. "I want to run a program" is too vague I'm afraid, that's why there are so many options to choose from."
I want to run a program is not vague, it's precisely all I want to do. If there are other options I don't know about them, but I probably don't need them. What I do need is to run a program, it really is that simple.
If it's not to you then perhaps your knowledge transcends my humble request and you're better off helping those who know what they are talking about. But then would they need help...
Anyway I appreciate your time, I hope someone else can assist me.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:Do you have the installer? In what format? ISO? CD? USB? Executable installer? Are you interested in transferring files between the host and the guest or do you want complete isolation?
You explicitely "forgot" to answer the previous rather important questions. No problem...

PS. Next time you go to the doctor and you say "I'm in pain" and they ask you "Where exactly?", please don't say "Well, I'm in pain, simple". It's not going to help you a lot...
Boristhemoggy

Post by Boristhemoggy »

OK lets call it a day cos you are bordering on insulting now in your quest to prove your knowledge. I want to run a program...there is nothing simpler to say. If you can't help me run a program, fair enough. Thanks for your time offered.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I honestly fail to see the insulting part. Maybe your sensitivity is a tad too high...

I don't have to prove anything to you, I didn't try to prove anything. I was simply asking questions about the implementation details, which you refused to answer again and again. You kept repeating again and again the point that I specifically was asking clarification about.

You're right, I'm out of here. I'll let the other users try to decipher your problem. I was never a good mind reader to begin with...
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

It is really pretty simple if you don't lose you cool. Just tell us what program you want to install and where the installation media is.

Just like a physical machine, you install a program by running its install program in the vm. If it is on CD you put the CD in the host machine's CD drive and tell the vm to use the host drive. If it is an ISO file you can assign the ISO directly to the optical drive of the vm. So far just like installing the OS.

If it is on USB or is a file on the host machine, the simplest method is to use Windows file sharing (not VirtualBox shared folders) to copy the installer to the vm, then run it.
Bill
BelJoost

Post by BelJoost »

Boristhemoggy wrote:I want to run a program...there is nothing simpler to say.
Just double-click it.

From your posts I cannot make up if you've tried that. If so, have you tried copying it from the shared media to a folder on the guests virtual disk? E.g. from \\shared\folder to My Downloads and started the executable from there.
Boristhemoggy

Post by Boristhemoggy »

BillG wrote:It is really pretty simple if you don't lose you cool. Just tell us what program you want to install and where the installation media is.

Just like a physical machine, you install a program by running its install program in the vm. If it is on CD you put the CD in the host machine's CD drive and tell the vm to use the host drive. If it is an ISO file you can assign the ISO directly to the optical drive of the vm. So far just like installing the OS.

If it is on USB or is a file on the host machine, the simplest method is to use Windows file sharing (not VirtualBox shared folders) to copy the installer to the vm, then run it.
I only lose my cool with arrogant fools...
However this is frustrating now as I've been on with this for a whole week and am no further forward.
It states in the manual that after you make a shared folder on the host machine you "open Windows Explorer and look for it under "My Networking Places" → "Entire Network" → "VirtualBox Shared Folders". By right-clicking on a shared folder and selecting "Map network drive" from the menu that pops up, you can assign a drive letter to that shared folder."
But in the virtual machine there is no such thing in Explorer as "My networking places". I've installed the guest additions and shared a folder on the host drive, now I just need the virtual windows to connect to that shared folder.
Is the manual wrong? Or am I again missing something totally simple? I can't believe it's so complex to take a week so far and still not carry out a simple task such as running a program in a virtual machine. :(
FrodoHobbits
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows, QNX & Linux

Post by FrodoHobbits »

Did you go into your XP settings and create a shared folder?
http://imgur.com/a/S3ths