MS-DOS 6.22 setup can't see disk 2

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
The MAZZTer
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Chromium OS, Windows

MS-DOS 6.22 setup can't see disk 2

Post by The MAZZTer »

First let me say I already know there is another topic about a similar problem, that problem is different from mine and the listed solutions did not fix my problem.

I'm using VirtualBox 2.0.2 under Windows XP. When I get to this part of the setup:

I can't get past it. It refuses to recognize disk 2. Anyone have a workaround? I tried unmounting and then remounting the disk image but it doesn't work.

Also these same disk images work fine for installing MS-DOS in Virtual PC 2007.

Occasionally when I "dir |more" on the disk, MS-DOS hangs. Occasionally more.com will stop working from the disk and won't do anything until reboot.

scandisk.exe (installed from disk 1) has no problems with the disk (although I get the "multiple arrow key press" bug in that app).

Disk 2 has 60 files with 1358277 bytes. I can post a more detailed file listing if someone else has something different.

Any ideas for a workaround?

[Edit: Huh VPC refuses to mount them now for some reason... wtf. I swear they were working before. Maybe they worked in VPC2004 (I have 2007 now). Weird. I'm gonna try and install MS-DOS in another VM and convert the disk into a VDI.]

[Edit: Fixed it! I used a different set of floppy images. I suspect something modified my first set (VirtualBox seems to be able to... tsk tsk. Doubt it was VirtualBox though.)]
kerry_okie

Post by kerry_okie »

I'm having this exact same problem running 1.5.6 on Windows2000. The difference is that I'm using an original MS floppy install set. I could try imaging my floppies, I guess - what imaging program will produce the .img file that VirtualBox looks for?

-- kerry --
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Post by ghr »

With 1.5.6. under WinXP Home SP1 I don't have the problem. For floppy images you can use e.g. Floopy or google for another tool. What I do: make images with Floopy, and mount/unmount whatever is needed.
ManWithNoName

Re: MS-DOS 6.22 setup can't see disk 2

Post by ManWithNoName »

I have the same problem : After inserted DISK 2 then pressed ENTER, there doesn't happen anything

My configuration is :

Platform : Windows XP Pro SP3
Virtual box v4.2.12
Floppy Drive : EXternal USB Floppy Drive Mitsumy D353FUE
Floppy DIsk : MS-DOS v6.22 (3 disk)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Unless the VM has locked up, then something happens when you press enter. If it just goes back to the dialog that prompts for disk 2, then it probably doesn't recognize what you are giving it as disk 2 (typically it will look for a particular file).

Lots of people have installed DOS 6.22 uneventfully, so I can't see this being a VirtualBox bug.

Perhaps you should try making images of your floppies, see if that works better in the VM.
ManWithNoName

Post by ManWithNoName »

I have created a virtual images set from my original 3,5" disks and it works fine.
The question I'm asking :
Why is there a problem to recognize the n°2 original physical Disk whereas it works fine with the virtual disk ?
Perhaps most of people are using virtual images disk and don't encounter the problem !

Rem : I think this is the disk LABEL which is used to recognize the correct insered disk.
My MS-DOS Disk set have the following LABEL :
DISQUETTE 1
DISQUETTE 2
DISQUETTE 3
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Sorry, my PCs no longer have a floppy drive so I can't investigate your problem. Also I don't have your particular disk set. I use floppy images exclusively for reasons of reliability, speed and convenience, and as you say, they seem to work well.

I would guess that there is some difficulty with communicating the host physical drive change notification to the guests virtual drive, but that is only a guess.
HankTheOracle

Post by HankTheOracle »

You need to have the correct label name. The setup program checks the label. If it's not correct, it will prompt you to insert a disk with the right label. Use the -n option with mkfs.msdos to set the correct label before copying files to the mounted image file.
rcarn

Post by rcarn »

I just came across this issue. What's happening is that even though you've switched disks and the DOS setup is asking for the next disk, the virtual machine is still showing it the original disk. To force it to see the change in disks:
1) Put the new disk in
2) Right click on the Disk icon on the bottom of the virtual screen
3) Uncheck the Host Drive to detach it
4) Right click on the Disk icon again
5) Click on the host drive to attach it.

MS DOS will see the new disk