using virtual box in company pc

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
El_Lobo

Re: using virtual box in company pc

Post by El_Lobo »

Thanks for the clarification!
klaus wrote:Support is optional. There's some "are you really, really sure" confirmations you need to nod off if you want to delete it from the order.
The support may be optional, but this is what i found in the Oracle Software Technical Support Policies
Unsupported Programs
Customers with unsupported programs are not entitled to download, receive, or apply updates, maintenance releases, patches, telephone assistance, or any other technical support services for unsupported programs. CD packs or programs purchased or downloaded for trial use, use with other supported programs, or purchased or downloaded as replacement media may not be used to update any unsupported programs.
Does this mean, if I buy a OracleVM VirtualBox license without support, I am not allowed to get any minor/security patches?

If yes, actually the support is not optional.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I believe that this paragraph doesn't officially apply to Virtualbox, since you can go to the Downloads page and get both the main program and the matching Extension Pack at any time without inputting any license information. So all security patches would be available in the new versions of Virtualbox.

Of course, IANAL, and Klaus or another red poster may have to clarify.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

A discussion specific to 5.1.30 and it's license change can be seen in PUEL no longer allowing commercial use with VB extension pack 5.1.30.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VisualType

Post by VisualType »

Many thanks to Klaus for all explanations and efforts in previous posts.
After several days of research on this issue, I just made Oracle account in hope to get some clarification in regards to licensing of VB Extension pack:

I run one-man-company graphic design firm, and I would like to run some design software in VB, for my paid work.
However, as per latest PUEL no commercial use of VB extension pack is permitted. There is no distinction whether that applies to corporate or self-employed business usage, so I guess it applies to any use where you earn any amount of money.
As licensing of 100pcs is not rational solution for most of the small, or even medium businesses, what is alternative legal solution, beside going to competition for $249.99?

Personally, I feel that PUEL and licensing of Extension pack is done in kind of lazy manner, with "we cannot be bothered with small fish" attitude. If there is no pricing for small users, why not regulate it to be free without support, or free up to certain size of business user?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm curious about which extension pack feature you can't live without?
VisualType

Post by VisualType »

I can actually live without complete VirtualBox, it is just an option in optimizing workflow and/or business expenses.
Only feature that is interesting to me in Extension Pack is Support for USB 3.0 devices, like external storage. I am aware that I can most likely override that with shared folder. However, I would like to skip that step in workflow, and avoid duplicating very large .psb and .psd files, as I would rather access original files on external disk.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

VisualType wrote:as I would rather access original files on external disk.
And you're aware that folders on removable drives are just as shareable as folders on a local drive?

If so then I personally don't understand why you'd prefer direct USB. VMs don't do well talking to real hardware, and IMHO shared folders work much better: they don't care about the underlying tech e.g. (eSATA, SCSI, USBx), nor the fileysystem, and multiple VMs can all share the folder at once - unlike USB which requires exclusive ownership by a single master.

Besides, there are also network USB solutions you could use if you insist.
VisualType

Post by VisualType »

Mpack - I wasn't aware of that at all! :o
From what I read, I was convinced that one would need VB Extension pack for any kind of access to USB 3.0 drives from VM, and that was cause of all my grief.
With this information, you just solved my workflow setup problems. Thank you! :D
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You are welcome. :)