Cannot create host-only adapter (Windows 7)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Dron007

Cannot create host-only adapter (Windows 7)

Post by Dron007 »

When I try to create host-only interface with command

Code: Select all

VBoxManage hostonlyif create
I get the following error:

0%...
Progress state: E_FAIL
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
VBoxManage.exe: error: Could not operate the communication channel (VERR_BROKEN_PIPE)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component VirtualBoxWrap, interface IVirtualBox
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "enum RTEXITCODE __cdecl handleCreate(struct HandlerArg *)" at line 71 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp
When I try to do the same using VirtualBox Manager (File | Preferences | Network | Host-only networks) I get error dialog with text:

Could not operate the communication channel (VERR_BROKEN_PIPE).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: VirtualBoxWrap
Interface: IVirtualBox {0169423f-46b4-cde9-91af-1e9d5b6cd945}
See screenshot:
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (33.42 KiB) Viewed 4716 times
This problem happened during installation of Docker but it doesn't related to it.

After each attempt to create the adapter I can see new "Unknown Device" in Windows Device Manager's "Network Adapters" section. At the same moment there is also VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter in Device Manager.

I tried to reinstall the application, to delete existing HostOnly adapter, nothing helps.

I have several virtual machines but they are not in active state. There are Aventail VPN in my systesm and PulseVPN but connections were also inactive when I tried that.

Please help. What logs or additional information can I provide to fix the problem? I really need this to be fixed as it is a blocker for me.

VirtualBox versions I tried: 5.0.24 (Docker installs it), 5.1.6
Last edited by Dron007 on 21. Sep 2016, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot create Hos-tOnly adapter (Windows 7)

Post by scottgus1 »

A google on VERR_BROKEN_PIPE didn't show much, but this old thread may be pertinent: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22901#p101053

I'm not familiar with Docker, and anything Docker does to install Virtualbox probably would not be supported here.

Version 5 on Windows 7 may have a network glitch over the kind of network subsystem installed. Windows 10 required a new susbsytem, NDIS6, whereas NDIS5 was good for Win 7.

I would say to completely uninstall Virtualbox and Docker. Your guests will not be deleted and will be ready for you when Virtualbox is reinstalled. See if the Virtualbox Host-Only Adapter is gone from the Network Adapters page on your host.

Reinstall Virtualbox by right-clicking the Command Window icon and choosing "Run as Administrator". Drag the Virtualbox installer icon into the Command Window. The path and name of the installer will appear in the Command window. After the installer name text, enter this command:
" -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5" so the full command looks like this:

c:\path\to\VirtualBox-installer.exe -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5
(from viewtopic.php?f=6&t=70199#p335730)

Run the command then try a guest with Host Only and see what you get. If the guest runs and Host Only works, then add Docker and see what happens.
Dron007

Re: Cannot create Hos-tOnly adapter (Windows 7)

Post by Dron007 »

I'm not familiar with Docker, and anything Docker does to install Virtualbox probably would not be supported here.
Docker doesn't do anything special and the problem is not related to it. It just runs the same command to create host-only adapter.

I've re-installed VirtualBox many times, I also tried to install with "-msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5" switch. Unfortunately result is the same. I don't try it with any guests, I just try to create new host-only interface.

I checked the log file C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log and when I try to add host-only interface I see the following lines are added there:

>>>  [Build Driver List - ROOT\NET\0002]
>>>  Section start 2016/09/21 16:29:03.403
      cmd: "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxSVC.exe" /Helper VirtualBox\SVCHelper\{445a994c-7448-4808-8914-d77839ccf3b4}
     cpy: Policy is set to make all digital signatures equal.
!    sig: No installed catalogs matching catalog name '' were found that validated the file.
!    sig: Error 1168: Element not found.
!    sig: Verifying file against specific (valid) catalog failed! (0x800b0109)
!    sig: Error 0x800b0109: A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.
!    sig: Error 0x800b0109: A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.
!    sig: Verifying file against specific (valid) catalog failed! (0x00000057)
!    sig: Error 87: The parameter is incorrect.
!    sig: Verifying file against specific Authenticode(tm) catalog failed! (0x80092003)
!    sig: Error 0x80092003: An error occurred while reading or writing to a file.
<<<  Section end 2016/09/21 16:29:04.086
<<<  [Exit status: SUCCESS]

>>>  [DIF_REGISTERDEVICE - ROOT\NET\0002]
>>>  Section start 2016/09/21 16:29:04.150
      cmd: "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxSVC.exe" /Helper VirtualBox\SVCHelper\{445a994c-7448-4808-8914-d77839ccf3b4}
<<<  Section end 2016/09/21 16:29:04.152
<<<  [Exit status: SUCCESS]

>>>  [DIF_ALLOW_INSTALL - ROOT\NET\0002]
>>>  Section start 2016/09/21 16:29:04.152
<<<  Section end 2016/09/21 16:29:04.154
<<<  [Exit status: SUCCESS (DI_DO_DEFAULT)]

>>>  [DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES - ROOT\NET\0002]
>>>  Section start 2016/09/21 16:29:04.154
Reading discussion in this ticket: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15019 I verified if my system has KB3033929 update installed. It is there.

Could it be some certification problem? I looked at the properties of the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter from Network Connections and see that driver is not signed but when I open its file it shows Digital Signatures. Not sure if it is important or not:
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_2.png (28.84 KiB) Viewed 4701 times
Files In C:\Windows\System32\drivers\VBoxNetAdp.sys and C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\network\netadp\VBoxNetAdp.sys are the same. There is also C:\Windows\System32\drivers\VBoxNetAdp6.sys file dated June, 28, 2016 and its version is 5.0.24.8355 (old one). Version of VBoxNetAdp.sys is 5.1.6.10634 (current one).

I also don't see NDIS6 service, tried to install it but couldn't find its file (VBoxNetLwf.inf) in VirtualBox folder too.
Dron007

Re: Cannot create host-only adapter (Windows 7)

Post by Dron007 »

Unfortunately the problem still exists and I've discovered that I cannot use Vagrant too because of this. If someone has any workaround please contact me. It's a pity that so many products depend on VirtualBox which doesn't work for me.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

It is almost certainly caused by problems in your Windows 7 OS. If the Windows utilities like DISM or SFC (or third party utilities like Ccleaner) can't repair it, reinstalling Windows is probably your only option.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The other thing I'd like to add to what BillG said is that you refer to your posts constantly to Docker and Vagrant. They have their installers and pass the command line to VirtualBox's installer. I'm not sure if the suggested known-workaround for Windows installations with "Run as Administrator" can be used that way.

But if you want to continue this discussion here, stick with pure VirtualBox. Otherwise, Docker support or Vagrant support might be a better choice.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dron007

Post by Dron007 »

BillG wrote:It is almost certainly caused by problems in your Windows 7 OS. If the Windows utilities like DISM or SFC (or third party utilities like Ccleaner) can't repair it, reinstalling Windows is probably your only option.
Maybe that is so but the problem is not uncommon so it would be nice to find a solution or at least some workaround. Reinstalling is not an option for me. Well, yes, all configurations and all systems are different but I haven't noticed any serious problem with network. I think that at least error logging should be improved to give more information about possible reasons of the problem. During VirtualBox installation host-only adapter is being created correctly so it is possible to create it without errors in my system.
socratis wrote:The other thing I'd like to add to what BillG said is that you refer to your posts constantly to Docker and Vagrant.
As I mentioned before the problem is not in these tools. Creation of new host-only adapter fails and it doesn't matter what initiated it: either VirtualBox Desktop app or command entered in command line which could be invoked manually or by one of these tools. I just mention these tools to show that some indirect users of VirtualBox are also affected and blocked.
Nanocyte

Post by Nanocyte »

Have you tried VBox 4.3? I ask because I'm having a different problem with the host only adapter in Win 10 and VBox 4.3 works fine for me.
Dron007

Post by Dron007 »

Nanocyte wrote:Have you tried VBox 4.3? I ask because I'm having a different problem with the host only adapter in Win 10 and VBox 4.3 works fine for me.
I had it some time ago but not tested after upgrade. Not sure that existing virtual machines will survive after downgrading. But some people also mentioned that errors with network may appear after VirtualBox upgrade. I guess there are some garbage settings in registry/files not cleared during upgrade.