FreeBSD 32-bit guest crashes on MacOS Sierra host

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
FreeBSD Guest

FreeBSD 32-bit guest crashes on MacOS Sierra host

Post by FreeBSD Guest »

VirtualBox Version 5.1.12 r112440 (Qt5.6.2)

Host is MacOS Sierra 10.12.2

Guest is 32-bit FreeBSD 11.0 RELEASE from a vmdk file that I ftp'ed from freebsd's ftp site

The Virtual Machine disk is served from a USB 3.0 Flash drive. I run it on both Mac and Windows via bootcamp

MacOS host, FreeBSD 11.0 guest crashes within a few hours of use. Occasionally, it'll crash VirtualBox as well. I'm running 3 jails in FreeBSD.

As a test, Windows 7 running as a guest in MacOS Sierra does not crash

Windows 10 Home host, FreeBSD 11.0 guest is rock solid.

I did a core dump but it's 1.5gb

I have not attached it but will if there's a way to make the dump smaller.

What can I do to troubleshoot this problem more?
Attachments
VBox.win10.zip
(14.76 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
VBox.macos.zip
(13.48 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Last edited by FreeBSD Guest on 30. Dec 2016, 01:10, edited 2 times in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: FreeBSD 32-bit guest crashes on MacOS Sierra host

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".VBOX" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it in your response.
If you're using two versions of the .VBOX file (one for Windows, one for OSX), I'd like to see them both. ZIP them first please.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
FreeBSD Guest

Post by FreeBSD Guest »

I've attached log files from both hosts to the original message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If you want to compare two different setups and one is failing, and you complain about it, you'd better make sure that they're as close as possible. Yours aren't.
  • You're using VBoxHeadless on OSX, VirtualBox on Win.
  • You're using a USB stick on OSX, a built-in hard drive on Win. Unless D:\ is your USB stick (really odd), because where's your CD/DVD?
  • You're assigning 512 MB of RAM on OSX, 1024 MB of RAM on Win.
  • You're assigning 16 MB of vRAM on OSX, 38 MB of vRAM on Win.
  • You're constantly suspending/resuming on OSX. Not on Win.
Something they have in common?
00:00:00.221732 File system of '/Volumes/SANDISK32GB/FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-i386.vmdk' is unknown
00:01:18.932232 File system of 'D:\FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-i386.vmdk' is unknown
How can the filesystem of the SanDisk USB stick be "unknown"? I can't say that I've seen that before. Care to explain?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
FreeBSD Guest

Post by FreeBSD Guest »

Guests have 512 MB in both Win and OSX normally but I may have accidentally deleted and recreated them with different memory. I'm going to recreate them both to make sure they have 512 MB

D:\ is the same USB Flash drive mounted on windows. This is a new iMac retina. It does not have an optical drive.

I usually start headless in both and when there are problems I attach.

If it makes a difference, I can resubmit logs of both being consistently in VirtualBox (not headless)

The filesystem is ExFAT

I suspect that the suspending/resuming is the cause of the issues. I will attempt again and prevent suspending on the Mac side and report back.

Is Suspend/Resume a known issue for VirtualBox?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

FreeBSD Guest wrote:Guests have 512 MB in both Win and OSX
Not according to the logs, they don't. Same for the vRAM.
FreeBSD Guest wrote:This is a new iMac retina. It does not have an optical drive.
What??? Bloody ... Mary! :evil: They took that out too from the iMac? Sometimes honestly I can't figure Apple...
(a quick search led me to understand that this is going on since 2012!!!)
FreeBSD Guest wrote:I usually start headless in both and when there are problems I attach.
Not according to the logs, you don't.
FreeBSD Guest wrote:The filesystem is ExFAT
That's really interesting. I just tested it and can verify the situation. I guess it's a VirtualBox shortcoming. I will look whether there is a report about this.
FreeBSD Guest wrote:Is Suspend/Resume a known issue for VirtualBox?
It could be. It's best if you pause the VM and then suspend the host. And in reverse wake up the host and resume the VM. Off course it's even better if you shutdown the VM first.
FreeBSD Guest

Post by FreeBSD Guest »

I prevent my Mac from sleeping and now everything is good. I've had no crashes since

Sleep/Suspend is the issue.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

FreeBSD Guest wrote:Sleep/Suspend is the issue.
FreeBSD Guest wrote:The Virtual Machine disk is served from a USB 3.0 Flash drive.
I believe that most probably the fact that USB loses power when sleeping/suspending would have to do something with this. Glad you got it going...