(CASE CLOSED :D) req: indpnt internal bridging hub logic DRV

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
lama

(CASE CLOSED :D) req: indpnt internal bridging hub logic DRV

Post by lama »

EDIT: This request has been fulfilled (from version 2.1x)
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2291#comment:2
------------------------------------------------------------
All I want is an "independent" ethernet driver which allows guest to directly communicate with ethernet !!!without being dependent of host services!!!

For example, Host is XP and Guest is XP.
Open MSCONFIG (RUN) and disable anything saying "Network" or "IP" or "Remote" etc on Services tab. Now, you cannot access Internet using VirtualBox anymore right? This is NOT the way it is suppose to be! why??? because If you install VirtualPC, you can access internet with all the services disabled.

The point is, the drivers of VirtualBox does not have its own internet bridging services and uses HOST OS (operating system)'s services instead Sad

USB on the other hand captures any host identified (installed) hardware and allows Guests to access same hardware virtually through guest but thats not the case with Ethernet. VirtualBox recognizes the ethernet hardware but does not capture ethernet IF some services are turned OFF. While VirtualPC, does not depend on any services as guest OS will automatically have it (which makes it transparent).

My ultimate goal was to make Host OS "Internet or Network FREE" while Guest OS to take entire risk of Internet and Application execution threats (when applications are downloaded from Internet). This means No Remote attacks, No Viruses, No Threats... :roll:
Last edited by lama on 25. Jan 2009, 12:35, edited 3 times in total.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Can you explain that a bit more? What do you mean by 'own internal bridging (and hub) logic drivers'? VB already has an option for Internal Networking, making it possible to let the guests communicate with each other without the use of the Host system.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
kilves76

Post by kilves76 »

I wonder if he meant the capability of 'internal network' VMs to be routed to outer world with the help of another VM configured as router? I came to think of a need for this on weekend.
lama

Post by lama »

Edited this post to put the main idea in the first post :)
Last edited by lama on 29. Sep 2008, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

Ah, that idea can be done if you use a Wired network. Create a Host interface and bridge, set the bridge to transparent operations (meaning no IP, just 0.0.0.0) and disable the needed services. You do need to be able to keep the bridge up, else it's pointless.

What MS VPC does, is hook the interface card directly to the VM. This is not the way of VB (nor VMWare).
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

I still find MS VPC networking options good - both useful and easy to setup.
Last edited by Technologov on 15. Sep 2008, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

We don't force people to use VB. Each has his/her own choice and preference.

Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

I understand, but improving networking is always a good idea.

In fact I proposed one possible direction - about year and a half ago:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18

-Technologov
lama

Post by lama »

Sasquatch wrote:We don't force people to use VB. Each has his/her own choice and preference.
That wasn't very nice, this was suppose to be a suggestion thread! If this is the type of response expected after suggestion, it is wise enough for admins to close the suggestions thread once and for all, that way people will get your message (by default). :lol:

What were you thinking? to insult all people who suggest something new? or perhaps you just wanted to tell "Shut the *** up and don't come back?"
When anyone compares virtual apps, they eventually want to improve. Flattery is not always a nice way to improve something :evil:

I don't think I should post any more suggestions :evil: what's the point? No developer reads it, only ranters read and rant non-sense :!: When users setup the networking using complex method, it counts as "9000 Users struggled" and "9 Developer enjoyed", but when a developer sets up proper networking, it counts as "9 developers struggled" and "9000 users enjoyed". Are we forging the ratio here? because this is what it sounds like, F*** off and use MS-VPC :( "We don't force people to use VB"

Sasquatch, I hope you're not one of the developer otherwise VBox is doomed :twisted:
I guess only Sun Microsystems should be allowed to post that way you guys will behave...
kilves76

Post by kilves76 »

Yes indeed, a little courtesy and helpfulness goes a long way... props to TerryE on this.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

lama wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:We don't force people to use VB. Each has his/her own choice and preference.
That wasn't very nice, this was suppose to be a suggestion thread! If this is the type of response expected after suggestion, it is wise enough for admins to close the suggestions thread once and for all, that way people will get your message (by default). :lol:

What were you thinking? to insult all people who suggest something new? or perhaps you just wanted to tell "Shut the *** up and don't come back?"
When anyone compares virtual apps, they eventually want to improve. Flattery is not always a nice way to improve something :evil:

I don't think I should post any more suggestions :evil: what's the point? No developer reads it, only ranters read and rant non-sense :!: When users setup the networking using complex method, it counts as "9000 Users struggled" and "9 Developer enjoyed", but when a developer sets up proper networking, it counts as "9 developers struggled" and "9000 users enjoyed". Are we forging the ratio here? because this is what it sounds like, F*** off and use MS-VPC :( "We don't force people to use VB"

Sasquatch, I hope you're not one of the developer otherwise VBox is doomed :twisted:
I guess only Sun Microsystems should be allowed to post that way you guys will behave...
No, I'm not a developper, but I am a volunteer here. I try my best to make this forum better by helping others and encourage some suggestions.
I might have sounded harsh, but the idea is really great. It should solve the issue with wireless and bridging too.

Please, don't get me wrong, I will never try to prevent a good idea (or bad) to be discussed and understood by the developpers. I'm a normal human being too, with it's ups and downs every now and then, and it just happened to be a down moment at the point of the posts. My apologies.

lama

Post by lama »

Sasquatch wrote:No, I'm not a developper, but I am a volunteer here. I try my best to make this forum better by helping others and encourage some suggestions.
I might have sounded harsh, but the idea is really great. It should solve the issue with wireless and bridging too.

Please, don't get me wrong, I will never try to prevent a good idea (or bad) to be discussed and understood by the developpers. I'm a normal human being too, with it's ups and downs every now and then, and it just happened to be a down moment at the point of the posts. My apologies.
What bothered me the most was "We" which represents you as part of a group and I was left to figure out which group or corporate personality tried to shut me up... :roll: Well, apologies accepted... in fact, I would like to apologies my self too. In normal or virtual road, it takes two to make an accident successful (I guess even I was in one of those down moods) otherwise my response would have been like Technologov. :oops:

Is there no developer reading these? I mean, talking about improvement is boring for you guys (understandable the research and work) but, it can really be bliss for VBox users like me :D (most of all, its just ONCE for you guys to warm up and check the Networking code after that, its a long term peace :wink: ) All I'm asking is "Not to be dependent on OS services here"

William Wallace - "Freeeeeeeeddddoooooommmmm"
© The BraveHeart (ending scene before the lama culling)
Last edited by lama on 18. Sep 2008, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Developers look over here rarely. They have plenty of job.

You can add comments to my feature request, or open a new one.

But since I already discussed with them about all the issues, I strongly recommend you to read my feature-request before you submit any such thing.

-Technologov
Last edited by Technologov on 18. Sep 2008, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
lama

Post by lama »

Technologov wrote:Developers look over here rarely. They havge plenty of job.

You can add comments to my feature request, or open a new one.

But since I already discussed with them about all the issues, I strongly recommend you to read my feature-request before you submit any such thing.

-Technologov
OK, and where are those? your feature requests i ment? and do any developer ever review those? Its sad that developer have lost their interest in web community.

In fact, its rather disappointing that after Sun acquisition the "Suggestion" thread will be further ignored by them as expectations of VBox users maybe moons and stars (?) or perhaps Sun maybe even possibly thinking of shutting down suggestion thread due to lame / repeated requests (?)

edit: Proves the point, no replies :roll: But I tell you, I'm a user who really like VBox :evil: On the second thought, even if I would have found your feature request, it would have made no sense, I am here because developer ignored you. If developers would have added this so called "feature", I would not have started this thread in the first place...

I've been to entire Sun website and Sun's developer website and there is no easy to contact any developer (in fact, I couldn't find any way to contact any Sun dudes). It feels so awful when you want to tell something and there is no one there to listen :(
Last edited by lama on 25. Jan 2009, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
lama

Post by lama »

Technologov wrote:Developers look over here rarely. They have plenty of job.
So, who looks at these suggestions (like mine, yours and others) now?
I don't even know if I'm to write something more (to suggest) if right person does not read it... :?: