FreeBSD/TrueOS mouse wheel issues browser back command

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Oclair

FreeBSD/TrueOS mouse wheel issues browser back command

Post by Oclair »

Hi There,

For some reason the mouse scroll wheel issues back and forward browser commands only in FreeBSD 11 and TrueOS as a guest in VirtualBox (osx 10.12.1 host) (all OSes and software versions are most current)

This issue does not occur when running several Linux distros as a guest OS on OSX.

All Web Browsers Firefox, Chromium, and the default theme browsers are affected.

I discovered that someone Linux host FreeBSD guest had the same issue I am experiencing.
forums [dot] freebsd [dot] org/threads/57494/

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this,
Oclair
Oclair

Re: FreeBSD/TrueOS mouse wheel issues browser back command

Post by Oclair »

@baitisj posted in the TrueOS chat the following:
so here's the proof. That's running xev and showing the mouse events when I'm scrolling the mouse wheel up and down.
ss2.jpg
ss2.jpg (101.75 KiB) Viewed 11924 times
vemigrant

Post by vemigrant »

I have the same problem in PC-BSD 10.3 64-bit. Host is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running VirtualBox 5.1.22r115126. pcbsd-meta-virtualboxguest version 1373635705 package is installed (virtualbox-ose-additions) in the PC-BSD guest. Scrolling the mouse wheel up in Firefox somehow causes the browser to go back a page. Then if I scroll down then scroll up again the browser will go forward a page. Scrolling down then up again just repeats the back and forward weirdness. I tried disabling Firefox's Shift + Scroll combo for going back and forward but that made no difference.
legluondunet
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: win95, win98, win7, win10, Macosx, FreeBSD, ReactOS

Post by legluondunet »

After two days of search all over the internet, I finally found a working workaround on the internet for this bug.
Like Oclair I tested my mouse action with xev and I obtained the same result as him: if I use my mousewheel up and down, sometimes xorg translates this action with button 8 and 9 instead of 4 and 5.
Next I searched a workaround to ask Xorg to ignore 8 and 9 button of my mouse, I found the solution here:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... n-my-mouse
Like explained in this article, I installed xmodmap, it found 10 button to my mouse, more than I need lol
So I created this .xmodmap file to disable button 8 to 10:

Code: Select all

! Disable buttons 8 to 10
pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 0 0 0
And it works!!! Now enjoy Firefox mousewheel without forward/back annoying bug :D
Is it a Xorg or Virtualbox bug?