Browsing, the connection was reset

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Greg Bailey

Re: Browsing, the connection was reset

Post by Greg Bailey »

socratis wrote:OK, this is getting more serious then, mainly because it's a second report that transcends major versions. Let's recap:
  • Upgrading from 5.1.6 to 5.1.8, the connection is reset in some sites.
  • Upgrading from 5.0.26 to 5.0.28, same problem. @helloworld111: guest OS, network mode (NAT?) and browser details please.
  • Observed so far with Win7 and Firefox/Chrome. Reprodusable in two sites (so far); photo.net and autoschmitt.com. Don't know what distinguishes them from others.
Release dates:
  • 2016-07-18 : 5.0.26
  • 2016-09-12 : 5.1.6
  • 2016-10-28 : 5.1.8, 5.0.28
So, in between 12/Sep and 28/Oct, something must have changed? Only in the NAT code? According to the changelogs, the common things that are there (which might be responsible), are:
  • NAT: don’t exceed the maximum number of “search” suffixes. Patch from bug #15948.
  • NAT: fixed parsing of port-forwarding rules with a name which contains a slash (bug #16002)
  • NAT Network: when the host has only loopback nameserver that cannot be mapped to the guests (e.g. dnsmasq running on 127.0.1.1), make DHCP supply NAT Network DNS proxy as nameserver.
So far, we have CodeVisio, socratis and helloworld111 reporting this. I've been watching the bug reports lately and I don't remember seeing anything similar being reported so far. I'd say one more confirmation and it's a bug report.
Additional data point:

I'm running Windows 7 host and CentOS 7 guests (the guests are managed via vagrant and use NAT)

Running npm on the CentOS 7 guests yielded many errors due to truncated/incomplete files being downloaded from our Artifactory server.

Downgrading from VirtualBox 5.1.8 to 5.1.6 resolved the issue.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I think I found two tickets that talk about the same thing:
  • #16084: ssl connection incorrectly reset when using NAT
  • #16103: Cannot establish stable web connection through NAT, other networking issues
@CodeVisio: I edited your first post to include the ticket numbers so that anyone reading the thread will know from the get go. I will update the edits as news comes along, hope you don't mind.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pittydus

Post by pittydus »

Hi to all,

maybe this is not very helpful to solve the problem but I would like to confirm same behaviour here:

VB 5.1.8 & Additions
Host Win7
Guest Win10
NAT
Before updating VB from 5.1.6 to 5.1.8 everything worked fine.

Example Urls from CodeVisio from this thread don't work on my VB as well.

On top I have difficulties to open local addresses:
192.168.178.24 > my printer control page does not work
but
192.168.178.37 > my WLAN repeater control page works fine.

All internal and external pages work fine on the Host.

One additional information regarding an update error:
After updating to VB 5.1.8 I could not start the Guest anymore due to that error:

Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2' (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).
Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).

I followed helpful information from this forum (Re: Windows 10 Hosts, Solution written by oolleegg55 on 14. Nov 2015, 23:32)
and after that the Guest started without any further error message.

Cheers,
Peter
adeschenes
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian Jessie

Post by adeschenes »

Similar problem found on 4 different OSX hosts using different OSX releases with both VirtualBox 5.0.28 and 5.1.8.

Our Debian Jessie and Ubuntu Trusty guests will get random connection resets when connected through NAT mode. Bridged mode has no problems.

The only setup working correctly with 5.1.8 and NAT so far is when using a Debian Stretch host.

Problem is still present on trunk.

Downgrading to 5.1.6 instantly fixes all problems.
pittydus

Post by pittydus »

adeschenes wrote:
Downgrading to 5.1.6 instantly fixes all problems.

Thanks, I can confirm. Downgrade fixed problems on my installation as well.
CodeVisio

Post by CodeVisio »

socratis wrote:I think I found two tickets that talk about the same thing:
  • #16084: ssl connection incorrectly reset when using NAT
  • #16103: Cannot establish stable web connection through NAT, other networking issues
@CodeVisio: I edited your first post to include the ticket numbers so that anyone reading the thread will know from the get go. I will update the edits as news comes along, hope you don't mind.
It's OK.

Thank you for your professional help
ECS Steve

Post by ECS Steve »

I see the same issue since the upgrade when using NAT. Bridged is fine. Tested on local web server and cloud, same issue, something is closing the connection prematurely.

I would say this is a bug.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes, there are 4 open tickets at the moment (see the 1st message of this thread, that's the one I'm updating). You don't want to open a new one, right? And a duplicate? ;)

I've posted on all of them pointing them to each other, but more importantly, here, on this discussion, since this seems to be the one gathering the more "hits". I'm willing to bet that they are aware of the problem.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CodeVisio

Post by CodeVisio »

Hi,

A couple of other issues which I'm not sure of they are connected to this thread's problem.

1) I've set the clipboard to be bidirectional and although it is so under the settings, sometime it doesn't work. I couldn't reproduce the problem. To let it work again I have to shutdown the OS guest,
select again Bidirectional for the clipboard settings (it is already so) and then start the OS guest again.

2) YouTube audio and video streaming has been slowed down.

Let me know if you need more.

Someone else has the same problems?

Thank you
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

CodeVisio wrote:A couple of other issues which I'm not sure of they are connected to this thread's problem.
No, they're not. Clipboard issues and audio/video related problems have absolutely nothing to do with NAT problems. Either look for an existing thread, or open a new one, please.
ghp

Post by ghp »

socratis wrote:audio/video related problems have absolutely nothing to do with NAT problems.
I can assure you that this problem will slow down streaming, ergo U-tube. On my system, three out of four sessions succeed, then a reset and a retry which succeeds, two packets OK, reset, retry ...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes, that could be that case. But, since the whole 5.1.x series has been plagued with audio/video issues, it wouldn't be a good idea to throw this into the mix. The NAT problem is on itself a clear problem, with specific symptoms, that does not have to involve a different known problem. Take one variable out of the equation, simplify the testcase.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I just realized that this thread is still on the "Windows Hosts" forum. It shouldn't be. Moving it to "Using VirtualBox", since it's not about a particular host or a particular guest.
jsiponen

Post by jsiponen »

I was attempting to install docker on some of my ubuntu guests. This was on vbox 5.1.8 on OS X and the ubuntu guests were configured with both a NAT:ed interface and host-only networking.

One of the steps is to run the following command:

Code: Select all

$  sudo apt-key adv --keyserver [server] --recv-keys 58118E89F3A912897C070ADBF76221572C52609D
(See docker's documentation as to the value of 'server' as there seems to be some rule in effect on this forum which is stopping me from posting anything that could be recognized as an uri at this time)

I tried this 10-15 times on my ubuntu guests (one xenial and one trusty) but this always failed with "Connection reset by peer".

So, on a hunch, I downgraded to 5.1.6 and suddenly I was able run this command again on my guests without any problems.

I suppose it might be that this could be related to the general networking issues people are experiencing.

Anyone else here running vbox 5.1.8 that wouldn't mind to take a shot at trying to replicate this behavior?
Henrikar

Post by Henrikar »

I think this concerns the same problem as this post with title "V5.1.8 - Network problems" (I'm not allowed to post URLs yet)