How do I buy Guest Additions for VBox OSE?

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
ryanv

How do I buy Guest Additions for VBox OSE?

Post by ryanv »

Hi,

I'm using VBox OSE on my Ubuntu 8.04 desktop in a non-personal capacity and I'm very, very happy with this arrangement. However, I really love the features that the Guest Additions package provides, but I notice it's under the Personal Use and Evaluation License. Well, I've evaluated it and I love it.

My question is: How do I license the Guest Additions package for commercial use? It appears that since Innotek was sold to Sun, the Guest Additions package is no longer for sale.

Is this accurate? Can you only use Guest Additions for personal use or evaluation? Is there no option to buy a license for commercial use anymore?

What are people doing that need the Guest Additions features in a commercial environment? Is everyone just buying the commercial version of VirtualBox instead?

What if I were to continue using VirtualBox OSE and Guest Additions, but buy a license for the commercial edition? Is that a legitimate licensing arrangement?

Thanks so much for such a great product!
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

The GA is a part of VB. It should be supplied with the OSE package too. Either way, if you want to buy a licence just for the GA, go with the full package (that is with the binary version).
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

The Ubuntu distro includes the OSE GA which you can just apt-get install without usage restriction. But if I were you I'd read the licensing page again. PEUL includes commercial use as long as the licence is personally installed by the user and not as part of some system administrator roll-out.

Sun are still in a dither over SME unitary pricing for VBox.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.