ctrl click not work in windows

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
imgse

ctrl click not work in windows

Post by imgse »

for me
host mac
guest windows 7
virtualbxo version 5.1.2

In windows 7, ctrl click is right click, how to disable it,
and I want to open new tab with ctrl click in firefox in windows.

[Mod. edit: Ticket https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15714]
Last edited by socratis on 3. Aug 2016, 18:21, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added ticket number
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: ctrl click not work in windows

Post by socratis »

We'll need a lot more details since you're the first one reporting it. Exact versions of eveything, software that you've installed, settings that you've changed. Everything that you can think of.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
imgse

Post by imgse »

host: os x 10.11.6
guest: windows 7
virtualbox version: 5.1.2 ,upgrade from 5.0.26
setting: default

software:firefox 31.8.0
no other software installed.

Ctrl+click is right click in windows ,just like in os x.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

imgse wrote:virtualbox version: 5.1.2, upgrade from 5.0.26
Was it working with 5.0.26? Can you try to uninstall 5.1.12 and install 5.0.26 and see if it changes things?
Is Firefox the only software you have problems with or is it in all of the Windows applications? Notepad? Windows Explorer?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
imgse

Post by imgse »

it works with 5.0.26,not right click.

all the windows applications, on the desktop in windows, ctrl click is right click.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Go to VirtualBox Manager -> Preferences -> Input -> Virtual Machine. What is the "Host Key Combination"?
imgse

Post by imgse »

Left ⌘
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, let me summarize:
• With VirtualBox 5.1.2 on OSX 10.11.6 with a Win7 VM, Ctrl-click acts as right-click. Problem!
• With VirtualBox 5.0.26 on OSX 10.11.6 with the same Win7 VM, Ctrl-click acts as Ctrl-click. No problem.

If that summary is correct, I'm out of ideas. You should head to the bugtracker and either search for an appropriate bug where you'll attach your logs and other vital information, or open a new bug report.
twinhats

Post by twinhats »

I have the same problem.
OS X 10.11.13 host, Windows 10 Pro Guest.
Ctrl-click worked in previous VirtualBox (5.1.0 I believe)
Ctrl-click in 5.1.2 behaves like right-click instead of ctrl-click.
REALLY annoying. Anyone have a work-around?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

twinhats wrote:Anyone have a work-around?
Of course there is no workaround, otherwise it would have been published. On the other hand you're the second one to report this and as much as I tried to milk the OP for some information, they were tight lipped. So, please provide as much information as possible.
  1. What's your host's keyboard layout? Physical and logical.
  2. What's your guest's keyboard layout? Logical only obviously.
  3. Do you use any 3rd party keyboard altering software? Karabiner comes in mind.
  4. Does it happen in all applications?
  5. Does it happen with all your guest VMs (if you have more than one)?
  6. Does it happen with a Linux LiveCD?
  7. Does it happen during the Windows installation when you boot from the Windows installer?
twinhats wrote:OS X 10.11.13 host
Unless you're working at the secret labs of 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 95014, USA, I don't see how you could have 10.11.13, since 10.11.12 is still in beta.
Oracle123VB

Post by Oracle123VB »

I'm having the same issue.

I recently upgraded (not sure what version I was on originally) to 5.1.0.r10877 on Mac OS X 10.11.6 with Windows 7 Guest OS and started noticing the issue. My host key is Right Cmd + Right Option key.
In Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, Outlook etc, when I Control-Click, the VM is treating it as a right-click -- I see the context menu for that clicked item.

What's your host's keyboard layout? Physical and logical.
[Not sure what you mean. I'm using a 15" Macbook Pro with a Qwerty layout?]

What's your guest's keyboard layout? Logical only obviously.
[Not sure what you mean. I'm using a 15" Macbook Pro with a Qwerty layout?]

Do you use any 3rd party keyboard altering software? Karabiner comes in mind.
[Nope.]

Does it happen in all applications?
[Yes]

Does it happen with all your guest VMs (if you have more than one)?
[I only have one VM.]

Does it happen with a Linux LiveCD?

Does it happen during the Windows installation when you boot from the Windows installer?
[I'm using an existing VM that already has Windows 7 installed]

Hope this helped.

Edit: I've updated to the latest VB (5.1.2.r108956) and Guest Additions 5.1.2 and the issue still persists.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

About the physical/logical layout...

I'm not even sure that that's what they're called, but if you were to order let's say a new MBP, the options for the keyboard are: English, Arabic, British, Danish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Swedish and Western Spanish. That's what I'd call the physical layout. The logical one would be the one that you select in the Keyboard preferences, Input sources.

In my setup, I have the English physical layout, with US, Greek and Greek Polytonic selected as my logical layout. On my guest VMs, I usually have a dual US/Greek logical layout.

@Oracle123VB
You should definitely try a Linux LiveCD. Just pick one distribution (I'd suggest Mint) and give it a try.

Since you're the third one to report this, you should head to the bugtracker and either search for an appropriate bug where you'll attach your logs and other vital information, or open a new bug report.

BTW, can you provide a VBox.log for your Windows7 VM?
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or suspended state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error.
  3. Shut down the VM. Not suspended, not paused. Shut down.
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (just the first log), ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, include me too in the "I see the bug". I'll do some more investigation and file a bug report. It seems to happen with all the 5.1.x versions. I will update this with the ticket number. To reply to my own set of questions:
  1. What's your host's keyboard layout? Physical and logical.
    Physical layout: English.
    Logical layout: US, Greek, Greek polytonic.
  2. What's your guest's keyboard layout? Logical only obviously.
    US in its most basic form, i.e. booting from a LiveCD.
  3. Do you use any 3rd party keyboard altering software? Karabiner comes in mind.
    No.
  4. Does it happen in all applications?
    Yes.
  5. Does it happen with all your guest VMs (if you have more than one)?
    Yes.
  6. Does it happen with a Linux LiveCD?
    Yes, for example I tested it with Mint 18 Mate 64-bit. The interesting part is that Ctrl-Click on the guest registers both as a Ctrl-Click and a Right-Click.
  7. Does it happen during the Windows installation when you boot from the Windows installer?
    Can't tell, there was no opportunity to check it at any point. So I guess it was not a valid question to begin with.
Cactus1476

Post by Cactus1476 »

I'm having the same ctrl click problem in VB 5.1.4 r110228. Last week I downgraded from v5.1 to VB 4.3.38, and the problem went away. I could control click again to select multiple items. Today I upgraded to 5.1.4, and now I can't control click.

I'm using a 2015 MB Pro, running OS X 10.11.6.
It happens in applications and when selecting items in a finder window.

It sounds like you're already working on a solution. I'm hoping that this reply will get me included in any notification of a solution being found.

Thanks,
Cactus1476
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Actually another option would be to include yourself as well to the tickets https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1766 and https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15714.