Windows 10 Anniversary Update Broke VirtualBox?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jigawot

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Broke VirtualBox?

Post by jigawot »

This morning my computer notified me that there was an update. I installed build 1607 (the "anniversary update") and now VirtualBox doesn't seem to be working. I get the following error:
2016-08-02.png
2016-08-02.png (16.38 KiB) Viewed 59935 times
Does this have to do with the new requirement that all kernel mode drivers must be digitally signed by Microsoft?

Everything was working just fine a few hours ago (I use VirtualBox on a daily basis for work), but now I can't seem to get anything to start.

Any suggestions?
jigawot

Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Broke VirtualBox?

Post by jigawot »

Okay, I feel a little foolish. A simple uninstall-reinstall seems to have done the trick. I initially thought this unnecessary as I had just upgraded from 5.0 to 5.1 (VirtualBox) and thought a re-install redundant.

Hopefully this may help someone else.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I am surprised to here that you had problems. On this machine, I uninstalled VirtualBox before upgrading, just in case. On my backup machine, I simply ran the upgrade as it stood, even with machines in saved states, just to see what would happen. It was a bit disappointing really - everything just worked!
Bill
Mirlfit

Post by Mirlfit »

Well, I got the new 5.1 update, and got the "windows anniversary update", and now when i try to open ANY virtual machine, it gets me a Blue Screen of Death. Either existing machines or even if I create new ones. As anyone has seen anything like it?
Niko Maliakkas

Post by Niko Maliakkas »

I have the same problem wih anniversary update. I get BSOD when starting any virtual machine (old/new). I uninstalled and reistalled, problem continues. I even started a DOS vm, with the same blue screen (no time to scan the QR provided...)
lvallauri

Post by lvallauri »

same here. if feedbacks /data needed please asks.
oversten

Post by oversten »

In my case I got BSOD no matter if I installed 5.1 or reverted back to 5.0.26 that I used before installing the anniversary update for win 10.

Both my machines behaved the same way after Win 10 update.

I ended up uninstalling the HyperV feature on both machines and reinstalled virtualbox.

Everything now works.

I'm not sure if I had HyperV uninstalled before and that Win 10 update reinstalled it or if there just was a new issue with HyperV and virtualbox in the update.
Anyway, wanted to give my input to this.
Niko Maliakkas

Post by Niko Maliakkas »

After several tries I managed to fix it:

1. I was using version 5.0 and virtualbox did not suggest to upgrade to 5.1 (??), so I installed 5.1.2
2. I disabled Hyper-V from Windows features , after restart virtualbox starts the virtual machines... also seems faster..!

Hope this helps
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

oversten wrote:I ended up uninstalling the HyperV feature on both machines and reinstalled virtualbox.
Niko Maliakkas wrote: I disabled Hyper-V from Windows features , after restart virtualbox starts
Wait a minute... Are you both saying that instead of VirtualBox complaining about Hyper-V, it now crashes? With a BSOD? Even with a DOS VM? What?????

PS. Well, technically, DOS doesn't have a BSOD, but hey, the B could stand for Black instead of Blue ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Presumbly the "BSOD" of concern would be a crash of the host, not of the guest, is that what's being discussed here? I'm confused by the fact that "blue" is specifically mentioned, but Win10 has a black BSOD, and DOS doesn't have anything.

p.s. Yes, DOS doesn't have a BSOD, regardless of the color. There is no background executive that takes over when the foreground crashes - the entire system is one process. Plus, it's not a protected OS, so you don't get those global exceptions anyway.
Rob68

Post by Rob68 »

socratis wrote: Wait a minute... Are you both saying that instead of VirtualBox complaining about Hyper-V, it now crashes? With a BSOD?
Yes, I'm seeing this same exact thing.

I've been using VirtualBox 5.0.16 with a Windows XP VM. Yesterday I got the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Today when I tried to start my VM, nothing happened. There was no visual sign of Virtual Box starting up. I was using a shortcut like this to start the VM: "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" startvm "XP BCB5 VM"

My next step was to try updating to the latest Virtual Box. I installed Virtual Box 5.1.2.
Now I am able to launch Virtual Box Manager, however when I try to start the VM I get the Blue Screen of Death and my Windows 10 host computer reboots.

I saw other posts about disabling Hyper-V in Windows Features, however when I do that, my computer reboots/restarts and says: Could not complete the features, undoing changes.
In the past I was able to use Virtual Box with Hyper-V enabled, it was just a bit slower that way.

Please advise if there are any logs I could post or additional steps to try.
Rob68

Post by Rob68 »

I was able to get Virtual Box and my VM working again.

One other thing I didn’t mention before... I'm running 2 boot configurations, and I had one with Hyper-V disabled according to the steps on this site:
Unable to post link.... Scott Hanselman's blog:
Switch easily between VirtualBox and Hyper-V with a BCDEdit boot Entry in Windows 8.1

However, after the anniversary update, I noticed that both boot configurations were named “Windows 10”. Also, when running bcdedit, I noticed that both boot configurations had the setting
hypervisorlaunchtype Auto

So, I went back to bcdedit and did the following:

bcdedit /set {current} description “No Hyper-V”
and
bcdedit /set {current} hypervisorlaunchtype off

Now, I'm able to select the No Hyper-V boot configuration and Virtual Box is working again.
falcon291

Post by falcon291 »

Hi,

Before the anniversary update Virtualbox was working fine.

After the update, I started to get BSOD (Blue screen of death) after starting any virtual machine. And then I spend hours trying to solve it. However it was futile.

Until I read disabling Hyper-V here.

I read it, remove it from Windows services. And now I am able to use my virtual PCs. Thanks.

By the way after having the problem, I copied my Virtual PCs to my laptop and started there after installing VirtualBox without any problem, I will tomorrow check whether Hyper-V is also enabled there.

This BSOD is really strange for me, because with this PC, that I run Windows 8, 8.1 and later 10, I never saw any BSOD before. I don't know who will solve the problem Oracle or Microsoft. But we have a problem here.
themrx

Post by themrx »

My virtualbox is also broken after win 10 anniversary upgrade, I was not able to start Virtualbox anymore - nothing happened, no error message etc. I think I had version 5.0.x something before. After upgrading Virtualbox to 5.1.2 I'm able to start Virtualbox, but I still can't start virtual machines.

Error which I get:
VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Note that VT-x is enabled in BIOS, hyper-v is also disabled (hyper-v "module" is disabled in features + bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off). I also tried uninstalling / reinstalling Virtualbox (even different versions), but the issue is still there.

Interesting is that if I change CPU/ memory parameter of any virtual machine and then starting the machine - system just crashes (BSOD - SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (memory corruption).

Note that before win upgrade everything was working fine. I was able to start 64bit virtual machines.

Any ideas?
Natural

Post by Natural »

Same problem after Windows 10 force updated itself.

You people who have got things working again, can you post a tutorial of the steps we need to take, please?