Virtual Network adapter and Vista Firewall issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
dwinks

Virtual Network adapter and Vista Firewall issue

Post by dwinks »

So far I am rather impressed with Virtualbox, and especially like the ability to use my USB printer on guests.

However, I am running into one major issue (for me) that I can't seem to figure out.

When I installed Virtualbox, the virtual adapter popped up and I classified it as a "private network" in Vista. This is important, as it controls which of the firewall profiles gets implemented.

I can leave my computer unattended for a few hours, with no reboots or anything, and Virtualbox running a small testing server the whole time, and when I get back, the virtualbox network is classified as a "public network" again, and it also keeps saying "Unidentified network" in the network and sharing center, no matter how many times I change it.

One of the major issues this is causing for me is that while on any public networks, Vista seems to shut down UPnP and automatic registrations for applications in the firewall, so some of my software I use keeps getting cut off from inbound connections, which really sucks when I use those inbound connections to connect back to my server while I am out working.

If I can't get the virtual adapter to stay listed as a "private network" I'm afraid I might have to give up my lovely USB on my guests and switch back to stupid VMware. =(
Ramrunner

Re: Virtual Network adapter and Vista Firewall issue

Post by Ramrunner »

dwinks wrote:So far I am rather impressed with Virtualbox, and especially like the ability to use my USB printer on guests.

However, I am running into one major issue (for me) that I can't seem to figure out.

When I installed Virtualbox, the virtual adapter popped up and I classified it as a "private network" in Vista. This is important, as it controls which of the firewall profiles gets implemented.

I can leave my computer unattended for a few hours, with no reboots or anything, and Virtualbox running a small testing server the whole time, and when I get back, the virtualbox network is classified as a "public network" again, and it also keeps saying "Unidentified network" in the network and sharing center, no matter how many times I change it.

One of the major issues this is causing for me is that while on any public networks, Vista seems to shut down UPnP and automatic registrations for applications in the firewall, so some of my software I use keeps getting cut off from inbound connections, which really sucks when I use those inbound connections to connect back to my server while I am out working.

If I can't get the virtual adapter to stay listed as a "private network" I'm afraid I might have to give up my lovely USB on my guests and switch back to stupid VMware. =(
Mate, I have a similar (probably exactly the same) issue. NAT is no good for me, as I need a real IP address both ways from guest to host. I've set up a Host Interface as per instruction, and if I tell Vista to bridge my connections with my local ethernet and the VirtualBox virtual adapter, the guest springs to life completely network wise. However, when I do this, anything with incoming connections on the host (I'll use my son's uTorrent as an example), refuses incoming connections within 10 minutes.

Mate, when you find the answer to this one please let me know. I currently bridge the connection before I use Virtualbox then unbridge when I've finished, but it is majorly annoying.

Regards,
Ramrunner.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

This doesn't seem to be VB specific, but interesting enough to mention it here. Please use google to find an aswer about why it switches and doesn't keep it to it's settings. This has more to do with the bad implementation of the Network Center and firewall done by MS.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
dwinks

Post by dwinks »

I shall diligently google this then, as I haven't really had this problem otherwise, so I don't know if it's VB or Windows. My Hamachi VPN virtual network adapter hasn't caused this to happen even once in the few months I used it before installing VB, so I just assumed it was VB.

Hopefully someone here will have an idea what is going on, but if I find it on google first, I will be sure to post back here.
mejobloggs

Post by mejobloggs »

Anyone found how to fix this? I have googled but no help.

It's always an 'unidentified network', and when I close the guest and open again, the vbox Host Interface goes back to 'public', which means my guest no longer has access to the network
pepsiboy
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows, Solaris

Post by pepsiboy »

Kind of hard to say who's issue this is, however it exists with VMWare as well. Here are the steps to fix the problem:

In regedit go to:
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\

Under here, you will find a list of keys ranging from 0000 to 0025 (might be more or less)

Next, run through the 00xx keys until you find a String entry with the value of "sun_vboxnetadp"

Add a DWORD value to this key and name it "*NdisDeviceType" and give it a value of 1.

Be sure to include the star in *NdisDeviceType when creating the DWORD.

Reboot and you should be good to go.
pacella
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: window xp

Post by pacella »

How can I turn off my firewall to be able to use the features on Limewire? I want to turn my firewall off for this site only. Is that possible and even if I have to totally turn it off so I can use Limewire correctly, how do I even get to where my firewall is?
Last edited by pacella on 21. Nov 2009, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

pacella wrote:How can I turn off my firewall to be able to use the features on Limewire? I want to turn my firewall off for this site only. Is that possible and even if I have to totally turn it off so I can use Limewire correctly, how do I even get to where my firewall is?
That is off-topic and not in the scope of this forum. Please use google for the answer, or the LimeWire forums.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

This is getting nowhere and totally off-topic. We will not discuss software settings or the likes that can be run on the Host natively or found out with a simple matter of RTM.