Discuss the 5.0.22 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Discuss the 5.0.22 release

Post by frank »

Discuss the 5.0.22 release here.

Hopefully fixes the most regressions with Linux guests caused by introducing support for non-root X.org servers by providing a guest kernel driver.
raynebc

Re: Discuss the 5.0.22 release

Post by raynebc »

Unfortunately, the new guest additions are still severely broken on Ubuntu 15.x (fully patched as of yesterday). During boot, the display only shows the following output:

Code: Select all

[  OK  ] Started Light Display Manager.
	 Starting Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service...
		[  OK  ] Started Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service.
And it never gets any further.

Edit: Tried it on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (fully patched as of today). During boot, the display seems to try to initialize a few times, but no screen output was shown as was for Ubuntu 15. The graphical interface never started. I got to a virtual terminal session and ran the uninstall script for the guest additions and rebooted. As expected, the graphical interface worked again. Inserted the guest additions ISO via VirtualBox's Device menu and installed, and upon reboot I once again had no graphical interface.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

We have tested the Additions with both Ubuntu 15.10 and 16.04 guests without problems, so in order to find out what the problem is we would need to find out what is special about your set-up. I suggest that you create a bug ticket in which you describe as precisely as possible how to create a guest from scratch which is affected by this. You should attach a log file from the guest, which will provide lots of information about your host system and the guest you created, but please still try to mention explicitly anything which might be relevant. It may be of course that we have to wait for other people to have the same problem to work out what the common factor is.
raynebc

Post by raynebc »

I have created a ticket (https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15526) with the requested information. If there is additional information the developers would like me to gather, please let me know what steps to perform.
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

Hello -

I just tried this release on Win 7 64 Pro SP1 (5.0.22 throughout all components): The 3 guests and their results are below):

guests:
1) Ubuntu 12.04 LTS completely up to date as of today, was last working fine on 5.0.16 with effects, glxinfo showing all well (64 bit): With today's (.22) release, there is no more openGL. When you insert the virtual .iso for guest-22, graphics "work" but in a degraded + no effects fashion with parts of the screen showing black. At the point where the adding-the-guests procedure might show that it was adding the X code, it now rebuilds using 'update-initfs'). IN any case, it's not working correctly with .22.

2) Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (all same as 12.04 above)

3) Windows 10 latest insider build : 64 bit : Seems to work fine with .22 guest tools.

Cheers,

Mick

PS: I tried to upload my logs but it fails (I think too large): I deleted only the last iterations of the loaded equip in the file and it appears to have uploaded. It's only the log for 12.04 which is perhaps the most "wrong".
Attachments
malingi-2016-06-18-07-36-32.log
(120.43 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Mal
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Win10-64, WinXP-32

Post by Mal »

I have just upgraded to 5.0.22 from 5.0.20. Windows 10-64 host with Win10-64 and Win-XP-32 guests. The host and Win10 guest installs went fine. On both XP systems I tried I got an error installing the additions. I attach the log from one. The install rolled back, and the 5.0.20 additions seem to work fine so I'm not too worried.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Attachments
install_drivers.log
(49.76 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
JustSpiffy

Post by JustSpiffy »

Hi,

Recently updated my Virtual Box to 5.0.22 from 5.0.20.

Host: Ubuntu 14.04 x64
Desktop style (gtx600 series, driver 340)

Guest: Windows 10 x64

I also updated vbox extensions and guest additions on the guest.

It's been very unstable. Freeze after 10 minutes of use. Doesn't matter if windowed or full screen. In full screen bottom menu bar doesn't appear.

Intermediate solution is disabling 3d and 2d hardware acceleration. However, this solution is unacceptable for the long term. Sometimes the machine freezes for ~4 seconds with all processors in use. (I"m assuming some Windows 10 windowing hiccup). Would like to use hardware acceleration.

Logs attached.

Constantin
Attachments
VBox.log.1.tar.gz
(31.07 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
VBox.log.tar.gz
(31.07 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
LarryW

Post by LarryW »

I upgraded from .20 to .22, host macOS, El Capitan, guest Oracle Linux 7.2. That seemed to have gone smoothly, but I believe the Guest Additions caused problems.

When I initially installed Linux 7.2, I had the installation create oracle/oracle as an administrator. Under the .20 I created a mount point for sharing a directory between macOS and Linux 7.2 and used the command

Code: Select all

sudo mount -t vboxsf vmshared /mnt/shared
However, after the update to .22 and installing the guest additions, the above mount statement failed. oracle was not a member of the sudoers list. I checked /etc/group and oracle was no longer defined as a member of the wheel group. I edited the /etc/group file and put oracle back into the wheel group. There must be other problems because sudo still does not recognize oracle as having sudo permissions (though the rules in /etc/sudoers says anyone in the wheel group has permissions).

The GuestAdditions also seemed to have hosed network connectivity, as the VM is no longer able to ping to the outside world, and FireFox is not making a connection to sites like google, oracle, and yahoo.

I have another VM running under .22 for which I have not run the updated GuestAdditions iso. This vm protested a little that it was still running the .20 GuestAdditions, but otherwise it is running fine.

I'm not familiar with the changes GuestAdditions make, but its installation seems to have broken existing functionality.
HagenaarsDotNu

Post by HagenaarsDotNu »

Since the 5.0.22 release, my windows 10 guest hangs regularly (4 times in 5 hours yesterday, started with a hang within 40 minutes this morning). The logs only state a 'hang'.
Can't find the logs of the guest additions and the extension.
Attachments
VBox.log
Virtualbox log.
(100.55 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
JF002

Post by JF002 »

I have some issues with 5.0.22.
I'm running a Linux CentOS7 guest on a win7 host (all 64 bits).

The VM ran correctly before updating the guest additions.
Once I updated them, it cannot start the graphical session (Cinnamon), it displays an error with a sad smiley : "Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem occured and the system can't recover. Please log out and try again." If I click on the "log out" button, the screen goes black and nothing happens.

Disabling the 3D acceleration for the guest VM allows it to start correctly but... it's better with 3D acceleration.
Last edited by JF002 on 21. Jun 2016, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

The guest hang seems to be a problem with Windows guests with more than 1 VCPU. See also ticket 15529.
PPRiphagen

Post by PPRiphagen »

I have the same, but on a Ubuntu 15.10 host.
Disabling 2D and 3D acceleration indeed seems to fix it (for now)
Host: Radeon HD 7570, X-org X Server xserver-xorg-video-ati driver
JustSpiffy wrote:Hi,

Recently updated my Virtual Box to 5.0.22 from 5.0.20.

Host: Ubuntu 14.04 x64
Desktop style (gtx600 series, driver 340)

Guest: Windows 10 x64

I also updated vbox extensions and guest additions on the guest.

It's been very unstable. Freeze after 10 minutes of use. Doesn't matter if windowed or full screen. In full screen bottom menu bar doesn't appear.

Intermediate solution is disabling 3d and 2d hardware acceleration. However, this solution is unacceptable for the long term. Sometimes the machine freezes for ~4 seconds with all processors in use. (I"m assuming some Windows 10 windowing hiccup). Would like to use hardware acceleration.

Logs attached.

Constantin
HMLi
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Win10 x64

Post by HMLi »

I have the same problem with Win10, but on a Debian sid host.
Disabling 2D and 3D acceleration indeed seems to fix it (for now)
Host: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06),
kernel: 4.6.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.6.2-1 (2016-06-15) x86_64 GNU/Linux
glxheads: exercise multiple GLX connections (any key = exit)
GL_VERSION: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.2
GL_VENDOR: Intel Open Source Technology Center
GL_RENDERER: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Desktop

But on the 4.6.1 or 4.6.2 kernel customized and compiled by myself, it can't run even 2D and 3D acceleration disbaled.
Please see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=78143
HMLi
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Win10 x64

Post by HMLi »

The CONFIG_PREEMPT_NOTIFIERS=y is work for my customized kernel: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15439
But disabling 2d and 3d hardware acceleration is also needed.
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

A little more info following my reply above ^^::

I decided to revert to a working version (or mishmosh of versions), and the most recent of each that gives full functionality for me on win 7 host 64, with win 10 64 guest + Ubuntu 12.04 + Ubuntu 16.04 guests is this:

Vbox main: V *.22
Vbox additions : V *.19
Vbox guest tools : V *.16

I've no idea why that allows "glxinfo | head" to return all the right mesa/openGL info and work with effects but it does. I guess it's pretty obviously something to do with the newer X drivers, and on Windows 10 guest, I can get away fine using any guest tools including .22.

------