Fake virtual graphics card

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
Perchik

Fake virtual graphics card

Post by Perchik »

Sorry for my English.
Hello! The task is following: I need to replace the value of pci, ven, dev graphics card in Vbox(OSE). On one forum I suggested that the need to find all build files, the words "80ee" and "beef" and replace them with your own. So I did. Replaced all values on their own and created their own Assembly, the desired result is not received( In device Manager still have the values "80ee" and "beef", although I would change them on your own. Tell me what am I doing wrong? :roll:
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Fake virtual graphics card

Post by michaln »

Perchik wrote:I need to replace the value of pci, ven, dev graphics card in Vbox(OSE).
No, you don't. It makes no sense to replace the values.
Perchik

Post by Perchik »

If there is no meaning, then what do you advise me to do to solve my problem?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You haven't yet described a problem, all you've given us so far is your proposed solution: which as Michaln points out (I think), is not a solution for anything we can think of.

If a guest OS can't identify hardware, how can it choose the correct drivers for it? What use is hardware that can't be used by any existing OS? Are you writing your own guest OS? Or just your own drivers for a guest OS?

VirtualBox hardware almost always emulates specific legacy physical hardware. It does this because popular guest OS's will have native drivers for that hardware - and the guest OS will use device IDs to tell it what drivers to use. So, the question arises: what possible benefit is there to changing device IDs and thereby making the virtual hardware unrecognizable?
Perchik

Post by Perchik »

Sorry, you are right, I'm not fully explained the problem.
Now tell all about it)

Initially my problem looked like this: I need to "replace" the video card in VmWare, in device Manager and Windows registry. With this problem I asked for help on the forum, I was told that with VmWare you do not have to happen, as she closed source, and was advised to use Vbox or Qemu. I've heard about Vbox so I decided to start with her. I was told that you need to find in source code "80ee" and "beef" and replace them with the ones that I have. In VmWare I have changed the Inf driver file in the registry and the Manager changed the video card manufacturer and the name of the GPU, but then I didn't know what to do, because we still had to replace the IDs for the graphics card(dev, ven). Since I have failed to solve the problem of tips from the forum, I came to your forum. Now to answer your questions. I need it for testing their security systems, unfortunately I can't say more, since this is my work done and I've been working on her. So about the drivers I don't care what the system will slow down and not work correctly. Most importantly, we have created the appearance of a real graphics card in the virtual machine. On the virtual machine Windows 7 on my computer and start the Vbox, Ubuntu 16.04.
Perchik

Post by Perchik »

Do you have any ideas about how to solve the problem? How do I emulate a graphics card? I guess if you understand how the system it emulates, you can understand how to replace it
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Post by towo2099 »

This all makes no sense at all.
VMware, VBox, Qemu have a fixed given hardware, inclusive of the graphics card, there is nothing you can change.
And btw, again you say nothing about what you want to do exactly!
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

If you can't say more, we can't say more.
Perchik

Post by Perchik »

Well, thanks for the help but it is confidential information and not subject to disclosure, if I tell her I might get fired. All the best :wink: