set scale factor using vboxmanage

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
kenbrubaker

set scale factor using vboxmanage

Post by kenbrubaker »

I have not found any reference to "scale factor" or "scaling factor" in the vboxmanage documentation. Can scale factor be set using vboxmanage? How?

Background: I'm trying to use this on Windows using Vagrant in a Vagrantfile, which lets me send commands to vboxmanage.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: set scale factor using vboxmanage

Post by socratis »

kenbrubaker wrote:I have not found any reference to "scale factor" or "scaling factor" in the vboxmanage documentation.
I don't really think that a scaling factor of 200% needs any special documentation. It's pretty straight forward; make the display twice as big.
kenbrubaker wrote:Can scale factor be set using vboxmanage? How?
Although not explicitly written in the manual, you can issue the command:
  • VBoxManage setextradata "<VM_Name>" GUI/ScaleFactor #
where # is your scaling factor. For 100% (no zoom in or out), the scaling factor would be 1. For a 2-times-magnification, make it 2. Anything in between is what you get from the GUI as well. The changes are immediate. If you want to remove the token altogether, just issue the same command but do not include the scaling factor, just leave it empty.

BONUS: I tried a scaling factor of "0.5". It worked flawlessly!!! Nice...
kenbrubaker wrote:I'm trying to use this on Windows using Vagrant
Just for future reference, Vagrant is not supported here. They change too many things and we don't know what...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kenbrubaker

Post by kenbrubaker »

Works like a charm. Here it is in a Vagrantfile for a scale factor of 125%

Code: Select all

config.vm.provider 'virtualbox' do |vb|
      vb.gui = true
      vb.customize ['setextradata', :id, 'GUI/ScaleFactor', '1.25']
    end
You really should talk to the Hashicorp guys. Community is a terrible thing to waste!

Thanks again.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I personally cannot talk to anyone. I'm a simple user/volunteer with no particular role in the VirtualBox hierarchy. Throughout the years on this forums I've learned that supporting/helping VirtualBox users is quite a job by itself. If you add to the mix 3rd party software that we're not really aware of what it's actually doing to a normal VirtualBox installation, we're going to have way more than our hands full. That's why they have dedicated support forums.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.