VERR_TAR_UNEXPECTED_EOS - FILE.OVA

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jel609

VERR_TAR_UNEXPECTED_EOS - FILE.OVA

Post by jel609 »

I try to import a file .ova but I have this error..
Seeking within the archive failed (VERR_TAR_UNEXPECTED_EOS).

Código Resultado: VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Componente: ApplianceWrap
Interfaz: IAppliance {8398f026-4add-4474-5bc3-2f9f2140b23e}
Could you help me please?
Thanks and regards.
Attachments
VB Error.PNG
VB Error.PNG (26.5 KiB) Viewed 31481 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VERR_TAR_UNEXPECTED_EOS - FILE.OVA

Post by mpack »

An "end of stream" or "end of file" error means that the OVA is incomplete or truncated. The cause will depend on how you transported the OVA: this could be a failed download, or a file which was corrupted due to being transported on a disk that can't handle large files (e.g. a FAT formatted drive).
Rondamon

Post by Rondamon »

Hi, we were having the same issue and it happens to be a corrupted installation. The solution was to fully uninstall the software from the system and re-install the latest available version. After that the file was importing and running properly.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

A corruption installation of VirtualBox will not produce this error. The meaning of this error was explained above.
NateS

Post by NateS »

This happens with the image provided by Microsoft. Downloaded and tried multiple times -- it's not a corrupt download. Either Microsoft provides a broken file or there is another reason for this problem. Could it be my VBox 5.0.10 is too old? This would explain why the user above claims a reinstall fixes it. In the past updating VBox broke some of my VMs, so I'd prefer not to.

Edit: I confirmed updating VBox to the latest (5.2.18) solves this problem. Note that I first had to hunt down the old installer, then use:
oldinstaller.exe -extract -path /some/path
To get out the MSI file, then use the MSI file to uninstall the old version, THEN install the latest. The latest broke audio for one of my VMs -- when an application tries to initialize OpenAL, VBox crashes. Disabling audio for that VM prevents this, though of course then I don't have audio.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Hmm. Thanks for clarifying what the previous poster must have meant.

Oddly, I don't see anything in the changelog that seems likely to explain this. There is mention of a fix having to do with OVF xml parsing, but that would not explain a failure occurring in mid stream. AFAIK, unexpected EOF/EOS always means a truncated file.
jamesphumphrey

Post by jamesphumphrey »

I was trying to import Hortonworks HDP 3.0.1 .ova file and got the error message "VERR_TAR_UNEXPECTED_EOS". I upgraded VirtualBox from 5.0.x to the latest (5.2.24) and then retried the import of the same .ova file and it worked.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

A quick search through the Changelog for VirtualBox 5.2.24 through 5.0.0, shows the following:
  • 5.1.16 - OVF: when importing an appliance handle more than 10 network adapters if the OVA was created by VirtualBox (bug #16401)
  • 5.1.6 - API: relax the check for the version attribute in OVF/OVA appliances (bug #15856)
  • 5.1.2 - OVA: fix for checking certain signatures
  • 5.1.2 - OVA: fixed MAC address generation for appliances created by VirtualBox (5.1.0 regression; bug #15623)
  • 5.0.4 - OVF: fixed duplicate USB controller entries in exported OVA/OVF (bug #14462).
I don't know which of these fixes were responsible, but thank you @jamesphumphrey in any event for the feedback..
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.