[Workaround] Ubuntu Guest - Messed up display/graphics

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
CraigT

[Workaround] Ubuntu Guest - Messed up display/graphics

Post by CraigT »

Hi
I am sure I have had this issue before and read how to fix it, but I am struggling to find the search term to find the solution. So I am hoping someone here can help me. :D

I have a few Ubuntu guests already and a Debian one too (created under a previous VB version), but I thought I would create a new guest for the new Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Desktop 64 bit version) 8) . I load the ISO, start the VM and it seems to start fine... I get the keyboard = man screen, then the 16.04 writing with the coloured dots screen (with a "piix4_smbus" message), the screen then goes black, then the aspect goes widescreen (log shows 1152x400), then I get what reminds me of a Sinclair Spectrum loading screen (see attached image) :mrgreen: . This last image I assume is the "try or install" screen, if I move the mouse across the guest I can see a magnified and distorted cursor moving across it. Needless to say I don't really get beyond this. Anyone got any idea what is wrong? :?:

I am running Windows 10 Pro (64bit, Version 1511 fully updated). The Ubuntu ISO matched the verification hashs. I am running VirtualBox 5.0.18 :!:
Attachments
Webuntu-2016-04-23-21-13-20.log
Log
(111.69 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Screenshot
Screenshot
VirtualBox_Webuntu_23_04_2016_20_20_35.png (4.32 KiB) Viewed 27383 times
Last edited by CraigT on 24. Apr 2016, 23:43, edited 2 times in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Ubuntu Guest - Messed up display/graphics

Post by Perryg »

Disable 3D acceleration until you get the guest installed and have also installed the guest additions ( in the guest ). Then do a full power down of the guest, enable 3D acceleration and see it that helps.
CraigT

Post by CraigT »

That seems to work - I have just started the install (without 3D acceleration). I will try turning it back on after a reboot later.
I assumed that because most of my other VMs have 3D acceleration turned on that it should work and install that way. :roll: :oops:

Many Thanks. :D

Craig
CraigT

Post by CraigT »

Nope. It was working, but something messed up the install - black screen on reboot. So I tried booting from the ISO again to re-install (with 3D acceleration set to off) and I am getting the same messed up graphics at the same point regardless of the setting of the 3D acceleration.

Any other ideas?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Were you able to install the guest additions like I said to do when you first installed and before you enabled 3D?
CraigT

Post by CraigT »

I didn't get that far! The install went well, I was going to install the guest additions after a reboot, but on restarting the screen just stayed blank (cannot remember if that was after the Ubuntu splash screen or straight after the BIOS page), eventually decided to power off the VM, restarted again and still black, so tried a re-install and was back to the old problem still with 3D acceleration off.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Alright then install the guest addition from a tty window.

Use host+F1 to get to a tty and then mount the cd and run the installation. After that then do a sudo reboot.
CraigT

Post by CraigT »

Whilst I was away (from the forum) I did a bit more research and stumbled upon an old bug reported first to VirtualBox and then to Ubuntu (Launchpad):
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13615
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1443853
From these I got a temporary workaround of using Host + F1 keys to switch to a text based terminal and then Host + F7 keys to get back to the graphical terminal which had then fixed itself (back to a working 800x600 resolution).
Note. Host key for me was Right Ctrl.
Note 2. The issue only seems to affect the "Try Ubuntu" screen.

I will report back when the install has completed, just to confirm there were no further issues.

Thanks for your persistence and help PerryG :D

Craig
Rui Baptista
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, ...

Re: [Workaround] Ubuntu Guest - Messed up display/graphics

Post by Rui Baptista »

I had the same problem 3 or 4 times in a row, here are some notes about:

Situation: messed display when starting install of Ubuntu 16.04 64bits on Windows 10 64bits.

The install seems to go better without 3D, in my last tests I had no issues without it but I am sure that 3D was off the first time.

The Host+F1 / Host+F7 is a workaround, but don't expect any change when you hit F1, just hit F7 to continue. Or just F7/F1.

I had no issues after that initial welcome screen. Guest additions, boot and reboot are fine.

Things always go better after reading the forum, now sometimes it works even with 3D on :), thank you all
DDSwattz

Post by DDSwattz »

I've had the same problem here recently running Ubuntu 16.04. Here was my solution:

Have 3D acceleration enabled

Login tty like previously mentioned (Host + F1) and run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-dkms
When asked to keep the previously installed version say no and proceed with the installation.

Then run:

sudo reboot
All should be good, or at least it was for me, hope this helps.
trauma04

Post by trauma04 »

DDSwattz wrote:I've had the same problem here recently running Ubuntu 16.04. Here was my solution:

Have 3D acceleration enabled

Login tty like previously mentioned (Host + F1) and run:

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-dkms
When asked to keep the previously installed version say no and proceed with the installation.

Then run:

sudo reboot
All should be good, or at least it was for me, hope this helps.
This was exactly the right fix. Much appreciated!
raynebc

Post by raynebc »

It's possible that ends up installing a much older version of guest additions that doesn't have Ubuntu graphics issues. What does it show if you run this command?

sudo VBoxService --version
Idle

Post by Idle »

This helped me too. I don't know if it's still relevant but I checked the version and it says:
5.0.24_Ubuntur108355
HTH
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Idle
Those are not the official VirtualBox Guest Additions, they are the ones that come from the Ubuntu repository, i.e. they're a "fork". If you want help in these user forums, you'll have to install the official VirtualBox and the official Guest Additions (which come with the official VirtualBox BTW).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.