Discuss the 5.0.18 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Discuss the 5.0.18 release

Post by frank »

Discuss the 5.0.18 release here.
clweb

Re: Discuss the 5.0.18 release

Post by clweb »

Hello,

It is impossible to install this build on Windows XP SP3 as host.
The installation ends with an unexpected error, all binaries are deleted.
Reinstalling 5.0.16 makes it work again. No problem on Windows 8.1.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

XP is not a supported host for 5.x. That said I haven't had time to test your claim myself (car trouble).
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

For people having the VERR_MORE_DATA error, please see https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15317.
jfabio

Post by jfabio »

Hello

After upgranting from version 5.0.16 on an Windows 8.1 x64 I can´t create an x64 guest anymore. Only x32 guests are displayed.

Fabio
hoherd

Post by hoherd »

Since upgrading to 5.0.18 I have been experiencing the gurumeditation state when trying to launch Ubuntu Xenial through vagrant. This worked on the previous version I was using, which I think was 5.0.16.

I experienced the same results on both OSX 10.11.4 and Ubuntu 16.04.

Log file showing the boot up to error is attached.
Attachments
ubuntu-xenial-16.04-cloudimg-2016-04-19-15-15-47.log.gz
(33.4 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

Tried 5.0.18 (on Win 7 SP1 x64 host) this morning:

This is the first update in about 15 updates that I've had any problems with and they were kind of minor, but enough to make me revert to *.*.16.

Guests:

1) Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 64: When booted first boot still running guest tools for V .16, no problems, but while updating tools to .18, I noticed that there was not an X11 portion (Think it's the 2nd text line from the end of output), so when I rebooted with the proper tools, I could no longer run OpenGL with effects (Compiz), which I've been using for a few years now. Otherwise, it looked fine. If I did a $glxinfo | head , direct render was 'y' so I'm not sure what got missed.

2) Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS 64: Same as ^^

3) Win 10 64 bit Build 14316 (latest non-mobile): Seems fine.

I did manage to forget to get the logfiles, so I'll do another run tomorrow and post them here.

Cheers.
gamerfox

Post by gamerfox »

This build still has the problem of the guest not redrawing at all unless I click on the menu bar.
frank
Oracle Corporation

Post by frank »

For all users who have problems with the 5.0.18 X11 Guest Additions, please report the problems here and revert to the 5.0.16 Guest Additions. I've placed a link to the download page. 5.0.18 had to introduce some fundamental changes: We now provide a Linux kernel module. This should work much better on recent Linux distributions, in particular if the guest X server runs in non-root mode, but could cause a few regressions with slightly older Linux distributions.
frank
Oracle Corporation

Post by frank »

Oh, and when posting to this defect: Please don't post comments like Bug xyz is still not fixed or Feature abc is still not implemented. Please concentrate on reporting regressions and on reporting problems which were marked as fixed in the changelog. And of course, positive feedback is welcome as well :)
frank
Oracle Corporation

Post by frank »

Btw, I have to confirm that 5.0.18 does not install on Windows XP. Some regression which was not supposed to happen. Windows XP is not supported anymore but still we try to not break it.
Net-Smart

Post by Net-Smart »

Great overall, but windows 10 guests sound and 3d acceleration issues remain, thanks for the updates.
raynebc

Post by raynebc »

Papolytic wrote:Tried 5.0.18 (on Win 7 SP1 x64 host) this morning:

1) Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 64: When booted first boot still running guest tools for V .16, no problems, but while updating tools to .18, I noticed that there was not an X11 portion (Think it's the 2nd text line from the end of output), so when I rebooted with the proper tools, I could no longer run OpenGL with effects (Compiz), which I've been using for a few years now. Otherwise, it looked fine. If I did a $glxinfo | head , direct render was 'y' so I'm not sure what got missed.

This sounds related to the problems I've encountered (described in the "Virtualbox guest additions breaks guest GUI?" thread I created yesterday, but the forum won't allow me to post the link to it because my forum account isn't old enough).
frank wrote:For all users who have problems with the 5.0.18 X11 Guest Additions, please report the problems here and revert to the 5.0.16 Guest Additions...This should work much better on recent Linux distributions, in particular if the guest X server runs in non-root mode, but could cause a few regressions with slightly older Linux distributions.
I installed the version 5.0.16 guest additions as suggested and the guest OS seems to boot normally. Unless I'm mistaken though, Ubuntu 15.10 isn't an older Linux distro.
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

raynebc wrote:
Papolytic wrote:Tried 5.0.18 (on Win 7 SP1 x64 host) this morning:

This sounds related to the problems I've encountered (described in the "Virtualbox guest additions breaks guest GUI?" thread I created yesterday, but the forum won't allow me to post the link to it because my forum account isn't old enough).
frank wrote:For all users who have problems with the 5.0.18 X11 Guest Additions, please report the problems here and revert to the 5.0.16 Guest Additions...This should work much better on recent Linux distributions, in particular if the guest X server runs in non-root mode, but could cause a few regressions with slightly older Linux distributions.
I installed the version 5.0.16 guest additions as suggested and the guest OS seems to boot normally. Unless I'm mistaken though, Ubuntu 15.10 isn't an older Linux distro.
I tried the release 16.04 LTS this morning (It's already up on USUOSL, but not on Ubuntu's site) on vbox. That makes no difference and behaves the same as 12.04/14.04/etc. The explanation I've seen that seems about right is here : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Rootless ::

It requires some intent & thought and checking to be sure all requirements are met before you can restart X as a non-root user, so I'm going to look at that when I get a second.

As 16.04 is installed, it is running X as root user. There are other things that need to be figured out for a VM that aren't covered by Ubuntu, like Nouveau being compatible, nvidia not so much, and of course, not a word about vbox, but I assume that's one thing this release was for.

PS: I did look up 15.10 and it's not any different as far as running X as root user. If you meet the reqs and can figure it out, you should be able to make nearly any version of ubuntu >= 12.04 run as non-root. (well, we'll see ;;;)
Marl
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Marl »

It is some time since Virtual Box releases have been compatible with the Mac OSX V10. I am still using VB 5.0.10 because it is the only one that doesn't disable my MacMouse. Perhaps one of these days you will get round to telling us when it is compatible. Meanwhile how do I disable the update reminder?