VM menu bar disappeared

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
shaned

VM menu bar disappeared

Post by shaned »

I'm running VirtualBox 1.6.2 on Fedora Core 9, x86/64.

I've been running 1.6.2 with XP SP3 for a while now. Host extensions were working. Then, one day, when I went to full-screen mode, my VM menu bar disappeared from the VM window. Also, all the USB/drive indicators disappeared from the bottom right of the VM window. Now I can only run the VM in full-screen or minimized modes.

I upgraded to 1.6.6 this morning. I was going to update the host extensions, but found that I need to mount the iso on the cdrom of the guest OS. And to do that, I need to get to the Devices menu of the VM window. So, how do I display those VM window decorations/menus now?

Shane
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Please, read the manual, read the messages when switching display modes. This is basic knowledge. How do you enter fullscreen in a video app? Right, use Ctrl+Enter. And how to you get out of full screen? Exactly, use the same key combination. So Host+F.

If only people bothered to read message dialogs and manuals. Sign.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
shaned

Post by shaned »

I screwed this up several weeks ago and haven't used it for that period of time. So any dialog I completely forgot about now.

I spent an hour this morning looking at FAQ/forum/on-line help. At your prompting, I just scaned the entire 1.6.6 manual again. I still see no mention of Ctrl-Enter nor host-f. Mind pointing out where my eyes (and the search feature of the PDF viewer) is failing me?

I've never used Ctrl-Enter before. Full-screen is usually a menu-pick or a GUI button somewhere so that's what I use. And Escape exits full-screen in the few video apps I've seen.

Thanks for the pointer. It's working again.

Shane
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

I used Ctrl+Enter as an example for Video, this is not the key for VB, that's the Host Key + F (for Fullscreen). You can get all the warning messages back from the Help menu > Reset All Warnings.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.