Mouse Precision Problem Total CAD Elastic

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
MrDiy88

Mouse Precision Problem Total CAD Elastic

Post by MrDiy88 »

We have a problem when using Total CAD 2D-3D Version 2 in that the mouse is "Elastic like". The precision is awful and the mouse nearly "dances" off the screen. I have tried various settings like only allocating 1cpu etc.

It is very precise in the rest of virtual box including microsoft office applications. We only experience this cursor problem when trying to use Total CAD. It makes the program totally un-usable. I was hoping some of you guys could maybe shed some light on this as it is driving me mad :D

Our Setup is:

MacBook Pro 2015 model with Virtualbox 5.0 and Windows 7 32bit with service pack 1.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Mouse Precision Problem Total CAD Elastic

Post by loukingjr »

You could try disabling mouse integration or 3D acceleration. I don't have Total CAD to check.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
MrDiy88

Post by MrDiy88 »

Hi If I disable mouse integration it seems to not be able to pick up the mouse at all. I have also disabled 3d acceleration but to no avail unfortunately. Do you have any other thoughts?

Thanks for the reply
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

At this point I would just be guessing. In the Settings for your W7 guest in the System Tab, Try changing the pointing device to PS/2 Mouse or one of the other settings if it's already set.
MrDiy88

Post by MrDiy88 »

It was set to USB right enough but I did try the PS2 option to no avail. I will revisit this just in case. I would be so eager to discover a fix because it is so annoying. Everything else is fantastic on Virtualbox

Thanks in advance, Hopefully someone has a similar problem
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Some kinds of Graphics programs are inherently problematic in a VM. Good luck though.
MrDiy88

Post by MrDiy88 »

Its such a shame though. I suppose my only other option may be to install windows 10 via boot camp if I can't get it sorted. Many Thanks for your help so far
vir_PtoPta

Post by vir_PtoPta »

I am not familiar with Total CAD Elastic, but I had similar problem running Lightwave 3d in virtual environment (I experimented with VirtualBox, as well as VMware and KVM all have the same reaction).

I some times run Lightwave 9.x in a Windows XP Pro or a Windows 7 Ultimate guest, an Ubuntu 14.04 as host. As I make a selection (a point, and edge, or a polygon) and try to move it the cursor is thrown off the screen for "miles" (literally miles, depending on what scale the model you have is on the viewport) and there is no way to keep the selection under control.

After tweaking many setting over a long period of time I finally found out Lightwave had an option that fixed it.

(for Lightwave 3d) The fix is in the input device selection.

Menu/Edit/Display Option/Interface/Input Device---> <Mouse>..<or>..<Tablet>

choose <<Tablet>> as input device and moving the cursor works

With the <<mouse>> as input device I get that sporadic movement of the cursor on any selection, but with Tablet selected as input device in LIghtWave it works reasonably well, not as precise as running the App on a "bare Metal" host, but good enough and with the stability and "less nonsense" of Windows XP!

in VirtualBox changing -->Settings/System/Pointing Device---> <PS/2 Mouse>..<USB Mouse>..<USB Multi touch> has no affect at all (on LIghtwave's behavior)

So definitely tweaking the software's input setting will make an effect.

...then using mouse integration so the shortcut keys work properly.