help me,vbox modified source code?

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
frankluo

help me,vbox modified source code?

Post by frankluo »

I'm very sorry, because of my limited English skills, so I use the Google translation.
I want to install Android system on the vbox, but later found the official website of the vbox will produce conflict.
So I need to modify the source code, make a green version of vbox, I changed the source code in all the UUID, and a number of additional programs ...
In order not to conflict with the VBOX official website, and now I need to modify VMMR0.R0, VMMGC.GC these documents, so that they generate a different file name, ask I need to change source code or mmk where?
Last edited by frankluo on 18. Feb 2016, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Re: help me,vbox modified source code?

Post by klaus »

How did you install Android? Chance is that there is already a VirtualBox install part of an Android emulator. What are you using here? Might be worth talking to the supplier of the Android emulator if that's forcing you to run an old version of VirtualBox or if the included VirtualBox version is crippled in some way.
frankluo

Post by frankluo »

I want to rename the following file, i will need to amend it where? In the source code, or in kmk file?
VMMR0.R0, VMMGC.GC, VBoxDDR0.r0, VBoxDDGC.gc
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Could you first explain why you need to rename those files? What do you want to achieve?
frankluo

Post by frankluo »

Because I want to be a green version of the VBOX, it is necessary to change the name of some files
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

For me the term "green version" is meaningless. Not commonly used in English, so I'm very unsure about your goal.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Offshoot? Branch? I can see that being mistranslated along these lines. English translation: fork.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

If this is about forking I really need convincing arguments for a worthy cause. Otherwise I am not motivated to help.
frankluo

Post by frankluo »

Because I need to do Android emulator,uses the VBOX,But sometimes conflict with the official website of the VBOX,So I need to change some of the file name。
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

That's not what Klaus meant by a "convincing argument". If you want to clone VirtualBox for your own purposes, you will have to do that without Oracle's help. But if you can explain why you want to do that in the first place (i.e. why the official VirtualBox releases aren't good enough for you), that could lead to a useful discussion.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

You cannot run two different versions of Vbox on the same machine. Just renaming a few files is not enough.
frankluo

Post by frankluo »

I already implemented to run on a machine in two different versions
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

This is getting more and more confusing. If you already implemented that several VirtualBox version can run on one system, where's the problem? Or did the translation go wrong and you want to do this? Again, it's not something which seems to provide value for the VirtualBox dev team. Running several virtualizers is only making everything less efficient.

Why can't the Android emulator's VirtualBox core be used for running regular VMs? Would only make sense if it has modifications which makes it unusable for normal VMs - which raises the question what those modifications are, why they can't be done in a "clean" way (e.g. using an extension pack and an appropriate VM config, or by contributing changes), and ultimately whether the final result is covered by the GPLv2 license.
frankluo

Post by frankluo »

Is such that we need to do VBOX Android simulator, using the official version 4.3, but later found that some customers machines equipped with our simulator, they also installed a new version of the official website of VBOX, resulting in us abnormal android simulator. So I made some changes to the source code, so that an official with the new version of the VBOX area of our simulator with separate, but the question is, do we unload, because you want to close VBOX process, and this process name the official with the new version of the same, lead us to the official VBOX closed. At the same time the driver of impact loading as well, because when uninstalling service should close the driver, because the same service name, not shut down, so this is the reason I want to modify the drive name and the process name and symbol of the link