For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Sleep kernel panics on 10.11.4 Beta

Post by michaln »

This should not be related to Vagrant. But it sounds like the problem is intermittent. I doubt the guest OS is directly related either. It is possible that it matters exactly what state the VM is in when the system goes to sleep.

The stack trace in the crash report does not indicate anything related to sleep, hence all the questions. It sounds like the VMX state is incorrect on wake (not fully enabled). Right now it's hard to say if that's something VirtualBox needs to fix or if it's an OS bug. Either is possible.
dsexton

Post by dsexton »

loukingjr wrote:Sounds like a plan. Just so you know, posting anything about OSX betas violates your Beta user agreement.
I believe this restriction was removed back in 2014, but I'll have to double check my developer agreement for the specifics.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

well, I can tell you I had a post removed from the Apple Support Communities just for typing the build number :lol:
I wasn't discussing it at all. The agreement includes that one is not supposed to even acknowledge it exists.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
dsexton

Post by dsexton »

loukingjr wrote:well, I can tell you I had a post removed from the Apple Support Communities just for typing the build number :lol:
I wasn't discussing it at all. The agreement includes that one is not supposed to even acknowledge it exists.
This used to be the case several years ago, however Apple has since relaxed their stance on this:

https://developer.apple.com/programs/te ... eement.pdf
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

This is not the place to discuss it. You should check what it is currently.
dsexton

Post by dsexton »

loukingjr wrote:This is not the place to discuss it. You should check what it is currently.
Agreed, long story short it is ok to share this information. Beyond what has already been given, is there anything we can provide to help debug this? Has anyone created a Trac ticket, or an open radar for this kp?
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

dsexton wrote:Beyond what has already been given, is there anything we can provide to help debug this? Has anyone created a Trac ticket,
No, and again a beta OS isn't a supported host so don't. This is the place to track such issues.
or an open radar for this kp?
That might be useful. Clearly Apple changed something, and they might have some idea what it was exactly. We can only deduce that the OS behaves differently with regard to restoring the VMX (aka VT-x) state when waking up from sleep.

If you (or someone else) do that, make sure to state that this is an OS X regression and that it's happening when the host is coming back from sleep. We have what's almost certainly a duplicate report received through other channels, but it was missing the crucial piece of information that the crash happens when system is waking up.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

fWIW, seeing I can't seem to recreate this problem on my MacBook, I'm going to install the beta on my MacBook Air and see if I can create it there. My feeling is the problem only occurs on specific models of Macs or it's a third party app that is causing it. Will be back.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Back. See? Told ya. :lol:

Installed 10.11.4 beta on a Mid 2013 MacBook Air along with VB 5.0.14. Put it to sleep, woke it up after a few minutes, several times, no panics.

However, I remembered something while I was doing all that. Macs have two different sleep modes, normal sleep and deep sleep. Macs enter deep sleep after being asleep for 1-3 Hrs depending on model. I'm going to let my MacBook Air go into deep sleep mode and see if that is the problem.

Ciao for now.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I let my MacBook air sleep for over 3.5 hrs and it was in Stand By mode (deep sleep) when I woke it. I had an Ubuntu 14.04.3 guest open and no panic.

so I've tried two different Macs, both running OSX 10.11.x and VirtualBox 5.0.14, various guests and no panics.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

That's valuable information too. Thanks. So maybe only specific hardware is affected, or certain configuration and/or 3rd party software is involved. Not nice.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Welcome michaln.

I suspect it is incompatible third-party software. After spending a fair amount of time in the Apple Support Communities, it's obvious there is a large proportion of OSX users who are migrating or installing incompatible software meant for previous version of OSX. That cause all sorts of issues even with the stable releases of El Captitan.
dsexton

Post by dsexton »

The latest beta that was released today seems to have fixed this issue. Pending a confirmation I believe this can be closed.
ggascoigne

Post by ggascoigne »

dsexton wrote:The latest beta that was released today seems to have fixed this issue. Pending a confirmation I believe this can be closed.
That's good to know, but you can only get that Beta as part of the developer program. I'll have to wait until they make it more publicly available before I can verify if it fixes things.
tan9

Post by tan9 »

I report every panic report to Apple using Feedback Assistant to Apple.
And I received following message from Apple yesterday:
Engineering has implemented changes that are supposed to fix the problem you reported. These changes are in the latest version of the software available to you, 15E39d (OS X 10.11.4 Seed 3).
Installing the latest public beta, hope we can close this thread as soon as possible :)