undefined reference to `DISInstrToStr'

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
RicV
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Linux *.*, Win*

undefined reference to `DISInstrToStr'

Post by RicV »

I am moving to 5.0.14 from the tarball on https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads (moving from 5.0.12 downloaded from there before). My build machine is an Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit PC.

After running the configure script, with no switches at all, and then sourcing env.sh and running kmk all, I am getting a build error: undefined reference to `DISInstrToStr' (see kmk_all.log attached).

I can easily work around this by setting LOG_ENABLED=1 before the make, after commenting out 3 errant log messages calls as mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69518#p333928 and I actually had added that in my 5.0.12 env.sh script because at the time I needed log messages. But now I want to build without any logging enabled, so I hope someone can help me resolve the DISInstrToStr reference issue another way.

The kmk_all_log.log attachment shows that it build properly, the only difference being the env variable. I had removed the entire out tree before each attempt.

Thanks in advance, RicV
Attachments
kmk_all_log.zip
kmk log with LOG_ENABLED=1
(109.76 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
kmk_all.zip
kmk log with LOG_ENABLED not set
(108.32 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: undefined reference to `DISInstrToStr'

Post by frank »

Same problem as ticket 15073. I will attach the fix here. The problem is that you compile VirtualBox 5.0.x while you have a different version of VirtualBox installed at /opt/VirtualBox. This shouldn't be a problem at all but due to the bug this actually is a problem.
Attachments
diff_vbox_5.0_compile.zip
Patch against the VBox 5.0.14 source code
(769 Bytes) Downloaded 26 times
RicV
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Linux *.*, Win*

Re: undefined reference to `DISInstrToStr'

Post by RicV »

Thank you very much, Frank. Of course I did have a prior version installed, since I had not yet built the current version. But with this patch applied, it built and ran correctly.