Discussion of Problems due to Hardened Security

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Discussion of Problems due to Hardened Security

Post by mpack »

Wolf45 wrote:Dos anyone know when/or if? AVIRA will fix this bug?
I assume Avira knows. Why not ask them?
dba_chicken

Post by dba_chicken »

mpack wrote:I assume Avira knows. Why not ask them?
I did. They said that this bug is addressed and will be fixed in program version
15.0.16.xxx respectively 14.0.16.xxx
(currently Avira is on product version [14|15].0.15.xxx)

Regards,
Martin
Last edited by dba_chicken on 20. Jan 2016, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
mpmartin

Post by mpmartin »

Host is Windows 8
vboxhardening.log attached
antivirus: Norton Security Suite, provided by Comcast, and iobit Advanced System Care, iobit malware fighter - both of which do occasional system scans. I don't think the iobit things do any active process scanning.

Started getting the error "failed to open a session for..." error after updating windows and vbox to VB 5. Was having problems with 4.32(36?), maybe after other windows updates. So I went ahead and upgraded vbox to 5. Installed a huge round of windows updates on 12/21/15, still couldn't run VB. Then Upgraded VB to 5 on 12/22/15. Discovered that I could run VB with detachable start, or with headless start then show. Problem is, when running with detachable start, it runs, but is extremely sluggish. Mouse cursor doesn't track well, pauses, and sounds always play with an annoying stuttered buzzing delay. My host system is AMD 6-core, and has no performance problems with anything else.

I've read some of the posts suggesting that specific windows updates could be at fault. I extracted a list of some 50 to 100 updates I've installed, including 17 on 11/18/15. KB2976978 keeps causing problems, causing all other updates to fail. I thought I solved that problem by hiding that update (as suggested elsewhere), but it keeps coming back, so I keep looking for it now and re-hiding it again.

Any help of what KB, or what else might be the culprit? Here's the list of 17 KBs from 11/18:
KB3054886
KB3085594
KB3085614
KB3054978
KB3101526
KB3085560
KB3101540
KB3101521
KB3101544
KB3101543
KB2965313
KB2999226
KB2817478
KB2878230
KB2791057
KB2837592
KB2553388
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(27.95 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

@mpmartin: your log shows a normal exit, exitcode 0. You do not have a hardening problem.
mpmartin

Post by mpmartin »

mpack wrote:@mpmartin: your log shows a normal exit, exitcode 0. You do not have a hardening problem.
When I run it with normal start, it has ExitCode=0x1. I thought the log would have the history from the previous start(s), but apparently not.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(15.07 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

What is a "normal start"?
chrisbox

Post by chrisbox »

Hi,

Host is Windows 7 Enterprise
antivirus: McAfee, Symantec Endpoint Protection

I try to open in VirtualBox 5.0.14 SimpleAppv511p with OBIEE 12.
I ma getting following error:
WinVerifytrust failed ... hrc=TRUST_E_SYSTEM_ERROR (see also attachment)

Kind regards
Chris
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(17.17 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Error Message
Error Message
2016-01-20_15-33-52.png (32.42 KiB) Viewed 9636 times
mpmartin

Post by mpmartin »

mpack wrote:What is a "normal start"?
VirtualBox 5 has a drop-down menu on the start button with the options, "Normal Start", "Headless Start", and "Detachable Start". See the attached screenshot (and my second log file, previously attached). Starting as "Detachable Start" runs, but with responsiveness problems. Starting as "Normal Start" causes the "failed to open a session" error.[img]
Untitled picture.png
Untitled picture.png (26.31 KiB) Viewed 9580 times
[/img]
HardeningBox

Post by HardeningBox »

chrisbox wrote:Hi,

Host is Windows 7 Enterprise
antivirus: McAfee, Symantec Endpoint Protection

I try to open in VirtualBox 5.0.14 SimpleAppv511p with OBIEE 12.
I ma getting following error:
WinVerifytrust failed ... hrc=TRUST_E_SYSTEM_ERROR (see also attachment)

Kind regards
Chris
Hello,

I had the same problem on systems with certificates checks :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WinTrust\Trust Providers\Software Publishing

Try to reset certificates revocation check.

Regards,

Patrick
Ron the Reb

Post by Ron the Reb »

Isn't anyone running Windows 10 Pro yet? The hardening still exists and my AV vendor confirmed, after spending almost an hour proving Eset's AV program is not responsible. I've been running a financial software program for a few years in a virtual machine employing Windows XP Pro and was running Virtual Box 5012 and all was well. The I upgraded to 5014 and VBox broke. I've tried every trick in the book to install other versions that I hoped would work. No cigar. I'm reluctant going all the way back to 4336 after previous ones failed because of all the failed installs. As soon as I began trying to install Windows XP, the program failed. Removing all the "footprints" on the drive and the registry from all the failed installs is quite a chore. Windows XP was the last OS that was compatible with my financial software. I refuse to pay that shyster Quicken every year for "the latest version". I guess I'll have to go to making spread sheets? Surely, someone is experiencing a dilemma similar to mine? I'm lucky I have Windows 10 Pro from an upgrade from Windows 8 Pro so I'm experimenting with Hyper V but it doesn't even come close to the features Virtual Box had, What a shame. Does Oracle have any suggestions? I have a text log of the failure explaining what occurred. Hopefully it will help? Thanks in advance.
Attachments
VBoxSVC.log
(2.77 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

"Hardening still exists"... well of course it does. It's an intentional feature, not a bug.

VBoxSVC.log is not useful to us. If you have a problem caused by the hardening feature, and you are using v5.0.14, then pick a VM, right click in the manager, select "Show Log" and save "VBoxHardening.log" to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Ron the Reb

Post by Ron the Reb »

I reinstalled both VirtualBox-5.0.14-105127-Win.exe and Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.0.14-105127.vbox-extpack. The problem occurs after I create a VM and start the VM called XP Pro so it will access my optical drive to run the XP Pro update disk which is supposed to require that I put in a disk for a previous OS which I have (Windows 2000 Pro. That's when I get the jpg attached of the failure. Please advise? Even though the VM never runs, I can go no further than when I start the VM and expect it to start running the process from the CD called XP Pro update.
Ron the Reb

Post by Ron the Reb »

OOPS! Doing too many tasks at once. JGP at bottom
Attachments
ERROR.jpg
ERROR.jpg (24.37 KiB) Viewed 9498 times
Ron the Reb

Post by Ron the Reb »

Here it is from yesterday after the 11th attempt. I tried safe mode and other various methods.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.log
(16.35 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Ron the Reb

Post by Ron the Reb »

I also had Malwarebytes installed as well when the problem occurred and the Eset support guy blocked the address from Malwarebytes but didn't block ESet's. I reinstalled Malwarebytes yesterday since I have a lifetime license. Maybe I should e-mail another log since they're both running now?