[Solved] again usb device busy with previous request..

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
immo

[Solved] again usb device busy with previous request..

Post by immo »

Again after connection Garmin Nüvi there is no way to get it in the VB. always device busy with previous request.
Newest extension pack instaled all USB3.0 driver uninstalled but
Failed to attach the USB device Garmin nüvi 3597 [0001] to the virtual machine Windows7-privat.

USB device 'Garmin nüvi 3597' with UUID {1ea48934-e045-4188-af3c-f680df8dc346} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDevice
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Callee: IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}

Any Ideas ?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VB 4.3.6 and again usb device busy with previos request

Post by mpack »

The VirtualBox version doesn't matter, since this message means the same thing in the past that it does now: the host is already using this device.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

immo wrote:USB device is busy with a previous request.
  1. Create a USB filter in your guest settings while the device is plugged in the host. Delete all values except VendorID and ProductID.
  2. Unplug the device.
  3. Start your guest (the one that you applied the filter to). Let it start completely. Log in if you have to.
  4. Plug your device. The filter should capture it and pass control to your guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
immo

Post by immo »

It doesnt help neither with MTP nor in Mass storage mode....
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Which step failed? What is MTP? You mentioned at some point USB 3.0. Are your ports USB 3.0? The more details you share, the better chance you have of getting help.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

And contrariwise, if you make getting proper details akin to pulling teeth, then some of the less enthusiastic ones around here will simply move on to the next message...
immo

Post by immo »

socratis wrote:Which step failed? What is MTP? You mentioned at some point USB 3.0. Are your ports USB 3.0? The more details you share, the better chance you have of getting help.
MTP is a USB device Mode
Wikipedia: The Media Transfer Protocol is described by Microsoft, who introduced it, as a protocol for intelligent storage devices based on and compatible with Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

I do not have USB 3.0 in my notebook anymore... I removed the USB 3.0 pcmcia card after reading some obstacles with usb 3.0 devices.

The device was a Garmin Nüvi.... but I send it back after some navigation use case issues...... so no more troubles and no more logs possible.
didione

Post by didione »

I do have the same problem with 4.3.6 and Garmin Nüvi 3590.
The device cannot be bound to the virtual machine.
What technical details could I post, to get assistance?
(I think I tried everything, it doesn't work.)
I have WIN7 as Host and WIN7 and also WIN8.1 as VM

With an older version of VB and WinXP as VM I could attach that Garmin Nüvi.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Here is some relevant information you can look at. I will be posting my information as well so you can compare the output. I have a Garmin nüvi 1300.

First of all, with no VMs running and the Garmin plugged in, open a Command Prompt window, navigate to the VBox installation directory (typically "C:\Program Files\VirtualBox\"). Run the command "VBoxManage list usbhost". Look for the relevant output (Vendor ID should be 091e=Garmin). Here is mine:
VBoxManage list usbhost
UUID:               5595e329-dbee-46b3-9b05-15e98005a53f
VendorId:           0x091e (091E)
ProductId:          0x23cc (23CC)
Revision:           5.9 (0509)
Port:               3
USB version/speed:  0/1
SerialNumber:       0000e3b4c0df
Address:            p=0x23cc;v=0x091e;s=0x0000507ec463b972;l=0xfa130000
Current State:      Unavailable
If I "eject" the Garmin from my host, the last line (Current state) changes from "Unavailable" to "Available".

Second, my USB filter settings for my guest. Note that the three values that I highlighted in red above are the ones that I filed in. Actually, you can also see the relevant information with the command: VBoxManage showvminfo "<YourVirtualMachineName>" and look again at the relevant information.
GarminFilter.png
GarminFilter.png (28.39 KiB) Viewed 119379 times
Third, I unplug the device, start the VM all the way (log in, let it finish its startup process) and I plug the device. The filter should capture it, the guest OS installs the drivers and it's ready to go.
GarminGuest.png
GarminGuest.png (33.42 KiB) Viewed 119379 times
So, to make a long story short, if the above steps don't work for you, post the output of these two commands that I described previously.
1) VBoxManage list usbhost
2) VBoxManage showvminfo "<YourVirtualMachineName>"
didione

Post by didione »

First I wanna thank you for your reply. Tomorrow I will have time and patience to do further tests.
Here are my 2 outputs for today:

VBoxManage list usbhost:::
UUID: 2129a47b-3cf1-4777-9d94-fa12dccde1cc
VendorId: 0x091e (091E)
ProductId: 0x44ea (44EA)
Revision: 0.1 (0001)
Port: 0
USB version/speed: 2/2
Manufacturer: Garmin
Product: nüvi 3590
SerialNumber: 0000e585....
Address: {eec5ad98-8080-425f-922a-dabf3de3f69a}\0018
Current State: Busy

+++++++++++
VirtualBox>VBoxManage showvminfo achteins:::
USB Device Filters:
Index: 0
Active: yes
Name: Garmin nüvi 3590 [0001]
VendorId: 091e
ProductId: 44ea
Revision: 0001
Manufacturer: Garmin
Product: nüvi 3590
Remote: 0
Serial Number: 0000e585....

++++++++++++

By the way, I have no option to "eject" the Garmin from my host! How did you do that? You've tried it on a Win7 Host?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

didione wrote:
VirtualBox>VBoxManage showvminfo achteins:::
USB Device Filters:
Index:            0
Active:           yes
Name:             Garmin nüvi 3590 [0001]
VendorId:         091e
ProductId:        44ea
Revision:         0001
Manufacturer:     Garmin
Product:          nüvi 3590
Remote:           0
Serial Number:    0000e585....
Can you please delete the parameters that I have highlighted in red and leave ONLY the blue ones? Refer to my previous post and compare the picture from the Filter settings.
didione

Solved: VB 4.3.6 and again usb device busy with previos req

Post by didione »

It worked!
I've done a lot of changes, I'm not sure what step did the fix.
I changed my VM a little bit, I moved it from C: to D: , added a CPU. Then I made a change in the device manager of the host machine. Yesterday I tried out the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" of the "Power Management" of both Generic USB Hubs with no breakthrough, today I unmarked that again on both Generic USB Hubs. Further as Socratis suggested I deleted parts of the USB Filter (but I tried that before many times) and finally I started my VM again. After I inserted the Garmin device I got a notification from my host that it installed the VirtualBox driver ! (Don't know if it installed it again ?!) Than I could bind the nüvi by clicking right the USB icon of the VM window, selecting the device.

Thanks for the help!

PS: Yes that was the problem, the Virtualbox driver was missing, I don't know how, but I could bind an USB Stick.
screenshot.1.jpg
screenshot.1.jpg (73.26 KiB) Viewed 119322 times
Last edited by didione on 11. Jan 2014, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great! Would you mind changing the original post's title to "[SOLVED] ..." so that the rest of the community can benefit as well from your findings? TIA.
Hub

Re: [Solved] again usb device busy with previous request..

Post by Hub »

Look at this.
youtu.be/mS_cyIgLuFU

mod note: This looks like spam, but I've checked and it is legit.
Last edited by mpack on 12. Nov 2014, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: De-obfuscated URL. Add note.
Judder

Post by Judder »

socratis wrote:
immo wrote:USB device is busy with a previous request.
  1. Create a USB filter in your guest settings while the device is plugged in the host. Delete all values except VendorID and ProductID.
  2. Unplug the device.
  3. Start your guest (the one that you applied the filter to). Let it start completely. Log in if you have to.
  4. Plug your device. The filter should capture it and pass control to your guest.
Worked perfectly for me - many thanks, have been searching for an answer for ages