Windows 10 Hosts

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Skecher

Re: Windows 10 Hosts

Post by Skecher »

Well, now the lost bridged network connection happened with normally applied shutdowns.

The fix was uninstall 5.0.8 then reinstall. Reinstall extension pack.

Shorter procedure than before.

There is definitely something going on with shutdown and restart.

Guest: Windows Server 2012
gogosch

Post by gogosch »

I have a similar problem with W10-Host.
VM (W7 32) runs well and I can access all drives in my network but only without the shared host drives of my W10 system and vice versa. :shock:
I use a network bridge on a Intel1000 desktop adapter.
What do I wrong?
gogosch

Post by gogosch »

With the new Version 5.0.8 everything is OK!
jen6

Post by jen6 »

Hi I'm using windows10 insider build 10586 x64 and I have error like this.
Is there any way to use vb?? :( :(
Attachments
VBoxHardening.log
log
(16.38 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
CAD bloke
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win 7-10

Post by CAD bloke »

The latest Windows Update on Win 10 installed the latest build (1511 (OS Build 10586.3)). It very thoughtfully turned on Hyper-V so I got

Code: Select all

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).
Result Code: 
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: 
ConsoleWrap
Interface: 
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
errors complaining about no VT-X. Here are the batch files I found around here somewhere that I use to toggle this setting...

title Disabling Hyper-V on the next reboot so VirtualBox can run
echo off
cls
echo Disabling Hyper-V on the next reboot so VirtualBox can run
pause
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
echo .
bcdedit
echo.
echo R E B O O T to turn off Hyper V
pause

title Enabling Hyper-V on the next reboot. VirtualBox will NOT run
echo off
cls
echo Enabling Hyper-V on the next reboot. VirtualBox will NOT run
pause
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto
echo .
bcdedit
echo.
echo R E B O O T to turn on Hyper V
pause
Hope this saves you some swearing. Note, you need to run the batch file as Admin or it won't work.
TekLord

Post by TekLord »

5.08.10 VirtualBox on Windows 10 Pro x64 Host (Windows 10 update that just came out).
VB update seems to have fixed all of my issues... Bridged networking, memory errors when running apps in XP, etc.

Thank you developers.
David Miller

Post by David Miller »

For me, the new Windows 10 (build 1511) has broken host-only networking. Host-only networking always fails, both with 5.0.10 and 5.0.8.

Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2' (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).
Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:

I have removed and recreated the virtual host ethernet adapter probably half-a-dozen times. I always get this message.
oolleegg55
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by oolleegg55 »

David Miller wrote:For me, the new Windows 10 (build 1511) has broken host-only networking. Host-only networking always fails, both with 5.0.10 and 5.0.8.

Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2' (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:

I have removed and recreated the virtual host ethernet adapter probably half-a-dozen times. I always get this message.
I had this problem after update. After re-installing VB I switched on "VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver" in properties network connection.

It property switched off default in my case.
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
2015-11-15 01-26-30 VirtualBox Host-Only Network Properties.png (44.97 KiB) Viewed 85733 times
David Miller

Post by David Miller »

oolleegg55 wrote:
David Miller wrote:For me, the new Windows 10 (build 1511) has broken host-only networking. Host-only networking always fails, both with 5.0.10 and 5.0.8.

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:

I had this problem after update. After re-installing VB I switched on "VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver" in properties network connection.

Hey, this worked great! Thank you very much.
nymks

Post by nymks »

The recent Windows 10 update caused Virtualbox to not open at all for me. I've had Windows 10 for a while now and I've been using Virtualbox just fine until today (the update happened overnight last night). I don't have a system restore point to before the update and I don't want to lose all the work I have in my images so I don't want to reinstall. I checked the BIOS and virtualization technology is enabled.

Any suggestions that I could try?
Skecher

Post by Skecher »

In a lot of cases for me just uninstalling then reinstalling VBox and extension pack fixed the problems.

Hope this helps, Caesar.
dermoritz

Post by dermoritz »

In my case Windwos update 1511 caused this issue and reinstalling vbox didn't helped. After fixing it manually as described here my image worked again.
alien_roger

Post by alien_roger »

oolleegg55 wrote:

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:

You saved my life! Thank you very much!! This works for me also (Android Genymotion windows 10)
EdBizarro

Post by EdBizarro »

oolleegg55 wrote:

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:

this works for me
W4lt3r

Post by W4lt3r »

Tux83 wrote:I was having issues too with bridged NICs on Windows 10. All was fine with Windows 8.1. I now found a workaround:

In total I'm having 5 NICs connected to my PC. The ones I use for my VMs are more or less dedicated to certain Oracle VB VMs. So in order to not interfere with my main NIC (e.g. default gw) I disabled all components in the bridged VM NICs on the Windows 10 host, with the exception of "VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Network Driver". However, with this setup I don't see that NIC in the VM settings. I can't select it to bridge. However, when I activate the IPv6 protocol on that NICs I can select the adapter in the VM settings and everything works just fine. As there's no IPv6 active in those test VLANs it's also not interfering with my main adapter.

N'joy.
I have the same problem as Tux83

I'm running VirtualBox on 2 servers with windows 10 as hosts OS.
- Server No.1 has been in use for a while now. Don't think it has al the latest windows updates installed.
- Server No.2 is a fresh installation with no windows updates installed (currently I only have 4G internet on that location with a limited data bundle)
- Each server has 3 network interfaces and 2 of them are connected to unsafe networks that should only be accessible by the virtual machine assigned to that interface.
- For security reasons and to prevent interference I also disabled all network components on the unsafe interfaces (except the virtualbox NDIS 6).
- In virtualbox I only use the bridged adapter mode for the interfaces.

On server no.1 I'm still running virtualbox version 5.0.0. Here I can select al interfaces as target for the bridge. Even with all the unnecessary components disabled.
On server no.2 I'm running version 5.0.10. If I disable all unnecessary components the interfaces don't appear until I enable the internet protocol v4 OR v6 option.

Is this a bug? Or is this by design?