Windows 10 Hosts

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
stefanr

Re: Windows 10 Hosts

Post by stefanr »

VB 5.0.6-103037 works well on my Windows 10.0-10240 host, with one minor exception: when Windows Update installed "Intel driver update for Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM", it completely failed and the network adapter stopped working. It was relatively easy to solve by uninstalling VB and the network driver, and then restart the whole shebang, but it seems reasonable to believe that the driver update came in conflict with the VB driver somehow. But overall, everything now seems to work perfectly fine with the latest VB versions.

So to the VB developers, I want to join in and say thank you a thousands for all the good and hard work you are doing for keeping this great product up and running, despite of the unexpected surprises that have occurred lately on the Windows platform.
beripl

Post by beripl »

beripl wrote:Hello!

I had a problem with bridged connection on Windows 10 Host (home ver).

I've got a 3 VMs that use bridged adapter, and all VMs are able to reach internet, reach devices on LAN, and reach each other VM. The problem is that VMs can't reach Windows 10 host.
Same for Windows 10 host - it can be reached from any device in LAN, Windows 10 can reach any device in LAN, and also reach Internet, but host can't reach any VM.

I've already disabled firewall on host and on guests - no luck
ARP tables (on VMs and on host) have proper entries for IP and MAC addresses.

Windows 10 is clean install from disk (not upgraded from previous Win).
Problem disappear after update to newest VirtualBox version! Thanks for VB development!
dbjungle

Post by dbjungle »

It's very functional for me on 5.0.6; the only exception is USB redirect.
sortadi

Post by sortadi »

Hi there.

I'm experiencing serious problems networking related using VirtualBox on Windows 10 host.

My environment is:

Host: Windows 10 Home 64 bits
Virtualbox: 5.0.6 Build 103037
Guest: Linux (Ubuntu server)

The issue is the guest operating system doesn't seem to be able to get IP through DHCP using either the Host-Only Network Adapter or the Bridge Network over my LAN Ethernet adapter. Nontheless, NAT works fine.

This very same Linux guest machine was exported/imported from another installation using Windows 7 as host, in which it works fine i.e. it gets DHCP without any hazzle, without any changes.
Skecher

Post by Skecher »

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and VBox 5.0.6 all bridged adapter configuration failed (it can't get ip address from network DHCP server, it can't ping the default gateway)
Asgard2063

Post by Asgard2063 »

Hi folks,
I just upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10. Unfortunately Windows 10 doesn't seem to config proper my virtualbox, as I can't see any VirtualBox host-only network adapter. I need to use my VirtualBox for Uni, and because it doesn't work it's been delaying my work. Does anyone has the same issue? How to fix it? NEED EXTREM HELP!!!!!!! :shock: :? :cry:
thanks
Tux83

Post by Tux83 »

I was having issues too with bridged NICs on Windows 10. All was fine with Windows 8.1. I now found a workaround:

In total I'm having 5 NICs connected to my PC. The ones I use for my VMs are more or less dedicated to certain Oracle VB VMs. So in order to not interfere with my main NIC (e.g. default gw) I disabled all components in the bridged VM NICs on the Windows 10 host, with the exception of "VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Network Driver". However, with this setup I don't see that NIC in the VM settings. I can't select it to bridge. However, when I activate the IPv6 protocol on that NICs I can select the adapter in the VM settings and everything works just fine. As there's no IPv6 active in those test VLANs it's also not interfering with my main adapter.

N'joy.
Skecher

Post by Skecher »

For those with problems in bridged network mode, I solved it by uninstalling the VirtualBox network card in Control Panel -> Device Manager.

Then click on Device Manager -> Scan for hardware changes.

It will re-install the network card driver.

Then configure the network card IP address.

Hope this helps.
cmc4141

Post by cmc4141 »

Just upgraded to Virtualbox 5.0.8

My setup:
"WIN 10 Host" and have both WIN XP guest and WIN 10 guest.

Sound working for "WIN XP guest" without any problem but sound from WIN 10 guest is still choppy and breaking up. Both guest installed VB Guest Additions.

WIN XP guest is using Bridged Adapter without problem.

Observation: WIN guest boot up is fast since VB 5.0.x

New Issue: After using for two days, it is found that sometime the guest WIN XP machine shutdown left in in "Aborted" status (in VM manager) for unknown reason - sometime even need to use TASK Manager to kill the hung guest VM during the shutdown. I have been carefully closed all applications in the guest VM before initiated the shutdown process but it seems still could happened occasionally.
TekLord

Post by TekLord »

Host: Windows 10 x64
Guest: XP
VB 5.0.8

Bridged mode does not work because guest cannot obtain IP address from DHCP server.
NAT works fine.
Sound works fine.
USB works fine.

Thanks for a great product.
p060477

Post by p060477 »

TekLord wrote:Host: Windows 10 x64
VB 5.0.8

Bridged mode does not work because guest cannot obtain IP address from DHCP server.
NAT works fine.
Sound works fine.
USB works fine.

same situation except that in my case if i choose bridged mode my VM win xp guest does not start
if i choose Nat all is fine and well
a question: have you bi-directional drag and drop host guest and guest host?
cheers!
Skecher

Post by Skecher »

I installed 5.0.8 the bridge problem went away.
Skecher

Post by Skecher »

Ack ... my host (Windows 10) got auto rebooted by Windows Update. My guests (Windows Server 2012) lost their network connections.

This time around what seems to work is to:
1. Uninstall and reinstall VirtualBox 5.0.8 including extensions
2. Reinstall guest additions in each guest
3. Configure network adapter in guest to DHCP
4. Re-configure the same network adapter in guest from DHCP to static ip

The network connection seems to go haywire when the guest is forcefully shutdown (and this includes Power Off to the guest).

I hope a permanent fix comes out soon.
finleyb

Post by finleyb »

Using a Kali linux guest on this laptop running Windows 10, and it's infuriatingly laggy and slow... Anyone else encountered this with other linux guests?

I'm running 5.0.8 and have assigned 4 of the 8gb ram to the guest machine.. 128/128mb VRAM, 2/4 processors. It should be running at least decently well :(

Hard to tell if it's windows, virtualbox, or kali causing the performance issues.
TekLord

Post by TekLord »

TekLord wrote:Host: Windows 10 x64
VB 5.0.8

NAT works fine.
Sound works fine.
USB works fine.

== UPDATE ==

I receive a memory error when exiting one of my development applications running on the XP guest.

1. I installed version 4.3.32 r103443 OVER the version 5.0.8 version. No changes to the client configuration.
2. I launched the client.
3. I tested the client without downgrading the guest additions and I still received the memory error when closing my development application.
4. I inserted the guest additions for 4.3.32. During the installation I was notified that older files would replace newer files.
5. I rebooted the client.

My applications work. No memory errors. Perfect so far.
I am using NAT but I can access everything on my local network and the internet.
Last edited by TekLord on 31. Oct 2015, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.