OSX crash after Bluestacks had been run

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
techraf

OSX crash after Bluestacks had been run

Post by techraf »

OSX (Yosemite, El Capitan) crashes and restarts every time I try to:

1) start a machine VirtualBox (5.0.6) and BlueStacks concurrently (no matter which is started first)

2) run BlueStacks, close BlueStacks, start any virtual machine in VirtualBox

VirtualBox machines run normally only if BlueStacks had not been started after last reboot. And BlueStacks starts if VirtualBox was closed before. So direct reason for system crash seems to be VirtualBox, while the cause seems to be BlueStacks (I understand that BlueStacks uses VirtualBox components)

I don't necessarily need to run them concurrently, but would be happy if the VirtualBox did not cause system to crash. Is there a way to do it now?
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: OSX crash after Bluestacks had been run

Post by michaln »

techraf wrote:while the cause seems to be BlueStacks (I understand that BlueStacks uses VirtualBox components)
Exactly. And we can do absolutely nothing about it. BlueStacks uses VirtualBox code without any attempt to coordinate with Oracle (which they certainly are allowed to do under the terms of the GPL). It is unfortunate that they mess up existing VirtualBox installs.

It is generally not possible to have two different VirtualBox versions installed on a system, unfortunately that is what BlueStacks effectively does. If this is a problem for you, please contact BlueStacks as Oracle has no relationship with them.