Windows XP guest get ABORTED status after shutdown

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
cmc4141

Windows XP guest get ABORTED status after shutdown

Post by cmc4141 »

Running under Windows 10 host with VB 5.0.6, my Windows XP guest getting ABORTED status after shutdown from time to time.

Do not see any shutdown error message or complain ... not sure how VB Manager decided the status is aborted.

There is no problem to restart the ABORTED Windows XP guest again. Therefore, this not affecting the use of the guest ...just mind boggling.

Let me know if you have any idea ! Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows XP guest get ABORTED status after shutdown

Post by mpack »

Next time it happens, post a VM log file: with the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
JamesC

Post by JamesC »

I am having a similar issue on a Windows 7 host but with a CentOS 6.7 guest. It seems to have started with VBox 5.0.6 r103037 but I am not 100% certain on that.
I am attaching the log file while the machine was in the Aborted state.
Attachments
CentOS-2015-10-13-23-39-18.zip
(19.35 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@JamesC, I don't see anything in that log about an abort. The log shows the VM progressing through all the normal stages between running (for 40 minutes) and terminated. No errors or failures. I see you are using "Save state". Perhaps you should try a full guest OS shutdown and a new VM start. Hopefully you didn't upgrade VirtualBox while the VM was suspended, as that has been known to cause complications.
JamesC

Post by JamesC »

Thanks. I don't think I did (upgrade while suspended) but I can't rule that out so it is possible.

I also didn't see anything in the log but wasn't sure if I missed something.

I will try a normal shutdown on that machine and see what happens from here. I have an old backup of the machine prior to
the upgrade so in a worst case I can probably load that up and see if things get better.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Are you running any NICs in the vm in bridged mode? There have been a few problems with that in 5.0.6 and I have seen that aborted flag on both shutdown and save if the NIC is having problems.

If it is a NIC problem, try using a different NIC in the vm to force it to start afresh (ie from the settings of the vm, clear the checkbox from the NIC being used and enable one of the others. That solved the problem for me).
Bill
Nurple
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Trusty x64, Windows 7 / 10 x64

Post by Nurple »

Heya, I seem to be having the same problem since going to 5.0.6 (also with 5.0.7.103278), though it doesn't happen everytime, and it's mostly with the Windows guest.

This is on Windows 8.1 x64 with Windows 10 x64 and Ubuntu Trusty x64 guests, with or without snapshots, running in a standard user account, guests only have 1 NIC enabled, and I'm using it in the default NAT mode, 3D Acceleration is enabled in Linux and not Windows.

When the aborted message within VirtualBox Manager is shown, Iooking at Taskmgr after shutting down VirtualBox Manager the VBoxSVC.exe proccess hasn't ended, and in the case with snapshots, when I exit the VM by closing the window, snapshots aren't getting reverted either.

When I update VirtualBox, guests are always off, and I reboot the Host PC after it's installed.

The only security software running is EMET, and Sandboxie.
Attachments
Windows 10 Guest Logs.zip
(19.48 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Last edited by Nurple on 22. Oct 2015, 00:20, edited 2 times in total.
verm71

Post by verm71 »

I always shut down my guests cleanly, but lately have been seeing a lot of successful shut downs that are showing as "Aborted". There has been much patching going on on my VMs lately. Related?
Attachments
logs.zip
(43.1 KiB) Downloaded 19 times