Windows 10 Hosts

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
cmc4141

Re: Windows 10 Hosts - sound problem

Post by cmc4141 »

My setup:
"WIN 10 Host" and have both WIN XP guest and WIN 10 guest.
Virtualbox 5.0.6

Sound working for "WIN XP guest" without any problem but sound from WIN 10 guest is choppy and breaking up. Both guest installed VB Guest Additions.

In WIN 10 "guest", I found the sound device in device manager is configured as "High Definition Audio Device" and the driver provider is Microsoft.

Just want to report this "WIN 10 guest" and "WIN 10 host" problem to development team.

Thank you for the continue support !
thefausap

Re: Windows 10 Hosts

Post by thefausap »

Hello all,

i'm trying to update virtualbox to 5.0.6 (under Windows 10).
I'm running now 5.0.4 r102546, when the uninstall procedure starts I receive this error:

"the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable".

It's looking for "virtualbox-5.0.3r 102322-MultiArch_amd64.msi"

It's correct... it's VirtualBox 5.0.3 ! (i have installed 5.0.4)

So maybe is the problem in the registry ?

thanks,
Fausto
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@thefausup: That problem is not specific to Windows 10 and hence the discussion does not belong in this topic.

See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69469
eddiegi686

Post by eddiegi686 »

andyp73 wrote:
kebranta87 wrote:Any ideas about why can this be happening ? Thnks
If you had read a few of the preceding posts in this topic then it is a bug for which you will need to update to the latest 5.0.6 release for the fix to the bridged network issue you are seeing and some other related Windows 10 fixes.
Hi Andy,

Can you provide a link to the Virtualbox 5.0.6 release?

Specifically my problems are the same as in this bug report:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/14428

Apologies if this has been solved somewhere but I've been reading the forums for a while and not found my specific issue. I have a Realtek network adapter, specifically Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. I also found this thread which seems to be about my issue: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69845

I have already tried the solution here, with no success: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=68444

Update:

I found the new release and will test my problem again.

The latest release solved all my problems with VirtualBox, my thanks to the devs this is great stuff.
traja47
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: win7 pro 64 bits

Post by traja47 »

as per 4th october 2015
built a rig fitted with asus motherboard and loaded windows 10 pro

question:
when virtual box will officially list windows 10 under host operating systems?

thank in advance for any help

from the online documentation on the web site
Currently, VirtualBox runs on the following host operating systems:
Windows hosts:
Windows Vista SP1 and later (32-bit and 64-bit[1]).
Windows Server 2008 (64-bit)
Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)
Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Windows 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Windows Server 2012 (64-bit)
Windows Server 2012 R2 (64-bit)
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

traja47 wrote: question:
answer:
when they are ready to.

FWIW, VirtualBox 5.0.6 runs well on Windows 10.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
traja47

Post by traja47 »

loukingjr wrote:
traja47 wrote: question:
answer:
when they are ready to.

FWIW, VirtualBox 5.0.6 runs well on Windows 10.
thanks dude
installed version 5.0.6 on a brand new host machine fitted with windows 10 pro
created windows 7 64 bits guest virtual machine and loaded windows 7 pro cd shipped with an old desktop computer
no hassles

started virtual machine and now windows 7 pro runs faster the usain bolt

virtual box great product, using for the first time
used vmware in the past, sadly cannot foot the bill hence went for virtual box

congrats to all developers
BoldyBoddinton

Post by BoldyBoddinton »

Giusi wrote:@BoldyBoddinton:

could you pls explain with more and simple details yr workaround for
win 10 network bridge

thanks in advance!

cheers!

Sorry for late reply, but this workaround appears to be moribund. VB 5.0.6 now works for me out of the gate every time. As everything appears to be working fine for me with VB 5.0.6 then I will gracefully retire from this thread for those who are still experiencing issues.

Many thanks VirtualBox team. Your hard work is really appreciated and I congratulate you for your patience and persistence.

Warm Regards
BaDboD
traja47

Post by traja47 »

BoldyBoddinton wrote:
Giusi wrote:@BoldyBoddinton:

could you pls explain with more and simple details yr workaround for
win 10 network bridge

thanks in advance!

cheers!

Sorry for late reply, but this workaround appears to be moribund. VB 5.0.6 now works for me out of the gate every time. As everything appears to be working fine for me with VB 5.0.6 then I will gracefully retire from this thread for those who are still experiencing issues.

Many thanks VirtualBox team. Your hard work is really appreciated and I congratulate you for your patience and persistence.

Warm Regards
BaDboD
i second above comment
using virtual box for the first time, brand new rig fitted with intel i7-6700 and loaded with windows 10 pro 64 bits
dressed the rig with VirtualBox 5.0.6 for Windows hosts x86/amd64
runs perfect!
hakster

Post by hakster »

My experience, in case it helps anyone. I had been using Vbox 4 on Windows 10 host (Ubuntu guest) until now, pending resolution of the issues. It was working fine, but without the NIC bridging - was using NAT mode. I upgraded to 5.0.6 yesterday. All went smooth, NIC bridging works, and in bridged mode, there is full communication between host and guest in both directions. All looks good, thank you devs and all.
BoesesGenie
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by BoesesGenie »

I'm trying to install VirtualBox 5.0.6 on Windows 10 host with VirtualBox Bridged networking and VirtualBox Host-Only networking parameters, but stil get message "Rolling back action" at the end. Without this parameters VirtualBox installation ends correctly. But I need bridged networking. Is this problem with my Windows 10 host or it is old bug, which we can see in VirtualBox 5.0.4 version?
bradski

Post by bradski »

SUCCESS!! The 5.0.6 103037 x86/amd64 version is the first 5.x.x build that worked "out of the box" since I updated to Windows 10 Pro final 10240 (and current).

Installed the main program - host still connected to the internet.
Installed the extension pack - host still connected to the internet.
Imported my pre-Windows 10 (Win 7) virtual Windows XP machine. - host still connected to internet.
updated the guest additions. - host still connected to the internet.

Then I updated a few xp programs and plugins and the host adapter and the virtual adapter can both connect to the internet and local network with no problems. Up until now, I could not get the host adapter to work at all and the only fix was to do a clean uninstall of all the Virtualbox stuff and a system restore.

:D
beripl

Post by beripl »

Hello!

I had a problem with bridged connection on Windows 10 Host (home ver).

I've got a 3 VMs that use bridged adapter, and all VMs are able to reach internet, reach devices on LAN, and reach each other VM. The problem is that VMs can't reach Windows 10 host.
Same for Windows 10 host - it can be reached from any device in LAN, Windows 10 can reach any device in LAN, and also reach Internet, but host can't reach any VM.

I've already disabled firewall on host and on guests - no luck
ARP tables (on VMs and on host) have proper entries for IP and MAC addresses.

Windows 10 is clean install from disk (not upgraded from previous Win).
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Latest version "VirtualBox-5.0.6-103037-Win" completely kills all of my network connectivity on the host pc.

It works fine when you first install it, but after you install it if you have to restart or re-connect the wifi usb then you will be locked out until you uninstall virtualbox again.

So virtualbox is completely unusable for me at this point :/ . I've tried disabling the virtualbox adaptor in network settings, and re-enabling, and it does nothing.

To anyone on this latest version running windows 10 on wifi, do you get this issue when you restart or re-plug your usb wifi? If you haven't restarted or unplugged your wifi since installing it, you may not be aware of this issue at all.
CAD bloke
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Win 7-10

Post by CAD bloke »

Just chiming in to say 5.0.6 is working well for me as a clean installation on Windows 10 host. No dramas running Windows Updates on 3x Win 7 guests at once (apart from fan noise from a hot CPU). All using 2x bridged networks (wired + LAN). All guests work fine with or without Hyper-V Paravirtualization. Home Group works well amongst the Win 7 VMs and metal, is busted in Win 10, it was busted before I installed VirtualBox. Local Networks hares work well everywhere. Guests all upgraded smoothly from 4.3.20.

The only oddity I have noticed is the Win 7 guests all crawl through the boot-up animation where the 4 colored shapes swirl around to form the logo. After the logo forms that it flies. Inverse metaphor perhaps? In any case it's hardly a showstopper.

Kudos and thanks to the devs and all those who support them. :D