Network won't start in Vista

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jslegers
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, WIN 7, OpenSuse 11.1

Network won't start in Vista

Post by jslegers »

Host is Windows XP SP2. Guest is Windows Vista. I can't get the Network to start. I this a known issue in Virtualbox 1.40 ?
jslegers
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, WIN 7, OpenSuse 11.1

Post by jslegers »

Problem solved.
Downloaded these drivers : http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content ... /V4.51.zip and it works.
ajamison

Post by ajamison »

those drivers do nothing for me as my guest version of Vista can not even see the card
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Please read Troble Shooting in der User Doc. You must add the Card manually and you must give a Network Adapter in the Guest Config.
ajamison

Post by ajamison »

Tried that even with it configured in the guest setting the OS can not see it
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Sorry, you must give concrete Infos how you have done this, step by step.

Have you read the Section of the doc?
ajamison

Post by ajamison »

Yes first I tried to load the windows drivers for my card that did not work so I tried the steps in the documentation on this site and that still did not work.

I then tried all 3 possible options for setting up a network card and that did not work. In VMWare I had similar problems and needed to install VMtools which installed the drivers. Is there something similar to that for Virtual Box
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Guest Additions?!
ajamison

Post by ajamison »

I will try that see if it works
dave_p_b

Post by dave_p_b »

Hi

This worked for me http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=1348

Cheers

Dave
Hannes.nz

Post by Hannes.nz »

To fix this problem on my Vista Guest I mounted the Guest Additions "CD" and updated the Network Drivers by browsing to the 'AMD_PCNet' directory on the CD when asked where the driver was. and it worked.
jarre

Post by jarre »

i have the sAME prob but vista hangs wenn i update the driver ! no mater i use the driver from guest addon or the cd image from the driver i load from amd ! even on secure mode cant install the driver as vista hangs !
i have host xp pro, installet ist ultimate
any help?
:cry:
thnaks
jarre
randomchance

Post by randomchance »

After I installed Vista Ultimate (on Gentoo AMD64 host), I had the same problem with Vista hanging up on me when I updated the network driver. I ended up doing a reset of the guest OS, the I logged back into the admin account I had set up. Device manager told me that the device was installed but not working properly. From device manager, I told windows to uninstall (*not* just disable, but uninstall) the device, intending to reinstall the driver. The NIC then disappeared from the hardware list and I couldn't get it back even if I told it to look for new hardware. So I did a power-off and restart, and lo and behold the NIC came back up, windows prompted me to continue installing the driver, and it worked!! Now I have the (host interface) network up and running normally. I'm not sure how or why, but maybe you could try uninstalling the NIC in device manager and restarting - it worked for me (I think that's what did it anyway...)
Anything worth doing is more trouble than its worth...
jarre

Post by jarre »

yea ¨! this helps ! great tip !

greetings

jarre
stmiller

Post by stmiller »

Yeah no need to power off/on. Just uninstall the network device in device manager (not driver- when asked), then scan for hardware changes and it will come up and work.