USB Ethernet Adapter Issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
geguze

USB Ethernet Adapter Issue

Post by geguze »

Hi,

I have the following issue with an usb ethernet adapter. I read a lot of posts on the topic but I could not arrive to a solution. Maybe I am mixing up the many different solutions people have provided :shock:

So the host machine is a windows 7 and I have virtual box running Ubuntu 14.04. Virtualbox perfectly connects the interface eth0 with my onboard ethernet, however I am having issues with the eth1 (usb adapter).

I tried the following:

1) Added a second adapter with a Bridge Adapter, selected the USB adapter and chose the Adapter Type (under Advanced) as Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop

Under Ubuntu I see eth1 now, but no ip address is assigned. Whenever I try to assign one using ifconfig, the ip address stays for a bit and then disappears ... If i ping
the machine on the other side the ping responds for a while and then stops. A new ifconfig command shows the ip address of eth1 empty :?

2) I tried to install the adapter as USB (not under network) and when I boot ubuntu in the virtual box, I now see a eth2 interface. But again without any ip assigned. If I set one using ifconfig I can again ping for a while and then resets. :?

I installed Virtualbox with GuestEdtion and extensions.

Any clue ? I think that given that the interface does not come up with an ip address assigned it is a VirtualBox issue.

I also tried to follow another set of posts where there was the suggestion to follow 2) but to plug in the usb adapter only *after* the VirtualBox and Ubuntu started ... nothing ... same behavior as described above.

Any idea at this point would be really appreciated!

Thanks!
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: USB Ethernet Adapter Issue

Post by BillG »

If you set the adapter to bridged mode, the vm will expect to see a DHCP server on the physical network and get its network config from there.

Is the host on a home network? How does the host get its network config?
Bill
srabhi

Post by srabhi »

I had the same problem of losing connection with USB-Ethernet adapter. It worked for me with reinstalling Guest additions and installing updates in guest OS.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@srabhi
The Guest Additions have nothing to do with the networking, or the USB support. Something else might have jolted the system back to its senses. Or the OS updates.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.