No bridged mode with 5.0.4 on Windows 7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: No bridged mode with 5.0.4 on Windows 7

Post by michaln »

BoldyBoddinton wrote:@Noteirak
For me (windows 10) your solution prevented VM's from opening altogether with a error about network.
That's because the solution was offered for Windows 7, not Windows 10!
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

BoldyBoddinton wrote:@Noteirak
For me (windows 10) your solution prevented VM's from opening altogether with a error about network.
Then I can only advise you to read the topic names carefully, especially when those mention Windows 7 and not Windows 10.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
Giusi

Post by Giusi »

BoldyBoddinton wrote:I already made a thread about this, but Im using windows 10. to get bridge mode working, open your VM then goto host network properties and untick/tick IPv6 once or twice and select OK, everythig works till next reboot, rinse and repeat.
what you mean tick n untick..??
at least at the end the ipv6 is with the flag or without the flag..??
LastWord
Guest OSses: Windows XP (64 bit), Kubuntu (64 bit)

Post by LastWord »

noteirak wrote:For those affected by this issue, the quick fix (until the issue is resolved) is to force VirtualBox 5.0.x to install with the NDIS5 driver:

1. Uninstall VirtualBox
2. Reinstall Virtualbox using the following command:

Code: Select all

VirtualBox-x.x.x-yyyyy-Win.exe -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5
Only post here again if it did not solve your issue.
This solution did not solve my issue because when I had version 5.0.2 of VirtialBox, I could use bridging with any of my three network adapters, but now I see only one of them in my VirualBox guest configurations. All two of my Intel network adapters disappeared from the list of my network adapters.

I uninstalled VirtualBox and reinstalled it again with the following command: "VirtualBox-5.0.4-102546-Win.exe -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5" with no luck.

* Update:
I found the correct description of the issue that I see in my environment.
See bugtracker ticket Unable to select network adaptor that has TCP/IP disabled for details.
Last edited by LastWord on 6. Oct 2015, 00:37, edited 2 times in total.
Don12345

Post by Don12345 »

Greetings. Having same type of problem as others.

In my case, I have a Fatal1ty mainboard with two Realtek adapters and an add on Intel Pro/1000 PCI dual nic. I had vmware player installed, and it could see all four NIC's the host OS sees all 4 NICS, so my thought is that the hardware works.

Under VBox, I do not see the Intel PCI card, only the Realtek cards which are on the mainboard itself. I did install VBox 5.04, then uninstalled, and then reinstalled using the network type command line switch, as shown below. Upon reinstall, VBox showed me the VM I was setting up

S:\Data\Software\Virtualbox>VirtualBox-5.0.4-102546-Win.exe -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5

I'm going to vie downloading and installing 5.0.2 a whirl to see if that makes any difference at all.
Don12345

Post by Don12345 »

Greetings again. In support of my post -> Postby Don12345 » 24. Sep 2015, 04:38

Yep, installed VBox 5.0.2 (did not install the extension package). and then fired up the PFsense installer. I connected one NIC to one of the adapters on my mainboard, and another adapter to my separate Intel Pro PCI card. pfsense installed fine, got a DHCP address on the WAN interface (the one mapped to the Realtex adapter on my mainboard), and I could assign an IP to the NIC mapped to my Intel PCI card. After that, I could get to the web interface using the secondary NIC.

Net effect - like others - VBox 5.0.4 will not see (in my case) the add on Network adapter, just the ones on the mainboard. I did use the ndis5 command line switch, which did not help. However, VBox 5.0.2 could see all for network adapters, and use them.

This, of course, for me, is a real dissappointment, b/c I would really like to upgrade my Win7 PC to Win10, but alas .. one must wait for these things to be worked. Go Oracle Go!!! And thank you for releasing this software.
edv

Post by edv »

enzo1982 wrote:I can confirm this issue and add some more details:

While the host and guest cannot reach each other on the network, both can reach any other devices. For example, I can ping my router and my mobile phone from a guest.
I have an additional: the guests can ping each other too.

Back to 5.0.2 and what: "business as usual" - this threat made my day, thanks a lot
(Host: W7_64, Guests: XP, W7_32)
number_one

Post by number_one »

Wow, this is a pretty big bug. I spent a couple hours trying to figure out what the heck was wrong since I could communicate from guests to the outside world and between guests and other devices on the local network, but just not between the host and guests. Rolling back to 5.0.2 fixed it for me too.

On another note, going to v5.x from v4.x is causing some odd numlock issues. My numlock status keeps turning off when a guest VM is in focus and then back on when it loses focus. I don't remember that happening with v4.x.
OliverOne
Guest OSses: All Windows

Post by OliverOne »

number_one wrote: On another note, going to v5.x from v4.x is causing some odd numlock issues. My numlock status keeps turning off when a guest VM is in focus and then back on when it loses focus. I don't remember that happening with v4.x.
Yes I have also this numlock issue!
NickC4555

Post by NickC4555 »

VirtualBox-x.x.x-yyyyy-Win.exe -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5 doesn't work for me. When I start the VM it says the network adapter can't be found. I have downgraded to 5.0.2 and all is well.
Spirit-RC

Post by Spirit-RC »

Unticking the "Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS6 Filter" component in the host network adapter properties (and pressing OK) helped me to resolve this issue.
Ticking it back and pressing OK again surprisingly didn't bring the problem back.
It is possible that just opening your host network adapter properties, changing anything there, and then pressing OK is the workaround.
Giusi

Post by Giusi »

maybe if you do not have kaspersky you are not able to use this workaround isn't it..?
Spirit-RC

Post by Spirit-RC »

Giusi wrote:maybe if you do not have kaspersky you are not able to use this workaround isn't it..?
Maybe. Or maybe not:
Spirit-RC wrote:It is possible that just opening your host network adapter properties, changing anything there, and then pressing OK is the workaround.
Will try it next time I reboot my host, which is not going to happen soon though.
Semprini

Post by Semprini »

The 5.0.6 update resolved this for me. I can now connect to my guests again (Windows 10 in this case which had the bridged mode connection problems under 5.0.4)
macscuol

Post by macscuol »

Semprini wrote:The 5.0.6 update resolved this for me. I can now connect to my guests again (Windows 10 in this case which had the bridged mode connection problems under 5.0.4)
Update 5.0.5 r103033

/wiki/Testbuilds

did the trick as well for me ( whereas i run it on a Windows 7 host )