Unable to load R3 module. VirtualBox 5.0.4 [SOLVED]

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
LVitya

Unable to load R3 module. VirtualBox 5.0.4 [SOLVED]

Post by LVitya »

Hello. I'm trying to run ubuntu-12.04.5-desktop-amd64.iso on VirtualBox 5.0.4, Windows 7 host.
But I can't start virtual machine even in 32-bit mode without .iso. Right after pressing Start, VB produces such error:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Ubuntu 32bit test.

Details
Unable to load R3 module C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox 5.0.4/VBoxDD.DLL (VBoxDD): GetLastError=1790 (VERR_UNRESOLVED_ERROR).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
VB error.png
VB error.png (14.56 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
Also I don't use "Universal Theme Patcher".
Attachments
VBoxStartup.zip
(29.87 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Ubuntu 32bit test-2015-09-23-13-22-29.log
(32.87 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Last edited by LVitya on 29. Sep 2015, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
NicholasName

Re: Unable to load R3 module. VirtualBox 5.0.4

Post by NicholasName »

Whoever manages VirtualBox's Facebook page addresses everyone's questions, unless it's got to do with this issue. I am pretty pissed I had to register on these forums just for this, besides Oracle requests a lot of info that is none of its business just so you can register, so I had to lie, I filled those fields with lies.

Anyway, is there a way to know if this bug is being ignored or worked on? I shall bump this thread until useful info appears.

I started experiencing this bug from version 4.3.14 on. Version 4.3.12 seems to had been not affected by it.

Sorry guys, not being pissy at you, but at whoever runs VB's FB page.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Nick, if you started having this issue once you went to 4.3.14, it is highly likely you aren't having this issue. 4.3.14 started the security hardening that the developers needed to add in to plug a nasty possible security hole and have been working on to get running smooth since.
Likely the Facebook guy (I didn't even know there was a Facebook guy...) isn't helping because you need to start your own thread and post your guest log to get the kind of help you need. See viewtopic.php?f=24&t=48476 for what to post.
NicholasName

Post by NicholasName »

Hardened security? The extra security works, even I can't start a virtual machine now. Anyway, VirtualBox on a Linux host is free of this annoyance. This problem only occurs when I use VirtualBox on my Windows system.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

NicholasName wrote:. . . is there a way to know if this bug is being ignored or worked on? . . . I started experiencing this bug from version 4.3.14 on. Version 4.3.12 seems to had been not affected by it.
Nick, your first post referring to "this bug" contained no references to a bug you were personally reporting, nor on what host you were running Virtualbox. Therefore we have no other info besides the "bug" LVitya was reporting, which occurs on a Windows host, where the change in functional operation due to security hardening occurred between 4.3.12 and 4.3.14. LVitya mentioned nothing about a Linux host. Virtualbox is aware the security hardening issues only affect Windows hosts.

You are hijacking LVitya's thread, and you are not providing the information we need to help you. Please see the second paragraph in my first post. Please start a new thread with your problem and log files. Someone will be there to help you shortly.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

LVitya, open your VboxStartup.log in Wordpad and use the Find tool to look for the word "error". After the first "error" found there are several references to:

"supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'C:\Windows\system32\uxtheme.dll' "

Seems that a good portion of the "error"s found in the log file refer to a bad uxtheme.dll. I'm not too familiar with the security hardening error reports, but my guess is that the theme system on your host has been modified by some sort of theme patcher, perhaps by someone else. You may have to hunt around and find the original 'uxtheme.dll' (the patchers often make a backup). I seem to recall having read that you can bypass the security hardening in Virtualbox by putting the original uxtheme.dll in the Virtualbox installation folder, where Vboxmanage.exe is. (Might be wrong, but it's worth a try. Apparently not wrong, see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=70319#p336520) Or restore the original Windows theme system.

There's also a few references to a 'wintab32.dll' which apparently has something to do with a Wacom tablet. Maybe you or someone hooked such a tablet up to your PC once (or you use one now?) and the driver was loaded. It might not be signed? Maybe needs to be removed? Or maybe the theme patch is side-effecting the tablet dll?

Try getting the theme issue dealt with first, then see what happens.
LVitya

Post by LVitya »

scottgus1 wrote: Try getting the theme issue dealt with first, then see what happens.
Thank you scottgus1. After 5 month sitting on VirtualBox 4.3.16 due to this problem, now VB 5.0.4 is working on my PC.
I was sure that my uxtheme.dll isn't patched. However following your advice, I found uxtheme.dll.backup in ..\System32, then backed up patched version, renamed uxtheme.dll.backup to uxtheme.dll in "Safe Mode". After that my virtual Ubuntu has started.
By the way Total Commander doesn't show uxtheme.dll.backup. It can be seen only through Win Explorer.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Re: Unable to load R3 module. VirtualBox 5.0.4 [SOLVED]

Post by scottgus1 »

Hey, that's great, LVitya! Glad you got it working.
LVitya

Post by LVitya »

scottgus1 wrote:Hey, that's great, LVitya! Glad you got it working.
By the way I have just check for another issue which I had in VirtualBox 4.3.16.
I could not connect my development board to guest Ubuntu. The problem was related to TI USB 3410 driver.
However in 5.0.4 it works after updating Guest additions. And now I can see serial output from devboard in my virtual Ubuntu.
That's wonderful!
NicholasName

Post by NicholasName »

No hijacking, this is what I wanted to know, the fix, for the Windows host issue. Trying and reporting.

Edit: That did it. VirtualBox runs VMs on my Windows laptop. No more R3 module bug. I restored the uxtheme.dll (and a couple of its buddies) and now things work fine. The hardened security is overlooking some other files that I patched to my liking, imageres.dll for instance, don't tell devs though to add that file a list of files no nag about. Take care.