Installing 5.0.4 on Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
nickcodefresh

Installing 5.0.4 on Windows 10

Post by nickcodefresh »

Hi,

Apologies if this is a well asked question, but I can't seem to find a definative anwser on this forum. Basically I'd like to install the latest version of VirtualBox (5.0.4) on Windows 10, but the installer continually fails with the error:
Oracle VM VirtualBox 5.0.4 Setup Wizard ended prematurely
I've read on here that not installing the VirtualBox Bridge Networking feature allows the installation to succeed, but that didn't work for me and I get the same error. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything useful in the install log in %TEMP% (which is attached), and the event in the Windows Application logs is the unhelpful:
Faulting application name: MsiExec.exe, version: 5.0.10240.16386, time stamp: 0x55a06b66
Faulting module name: MSID8CB.tmp, version: 5.0.4.2546, time stamp: 0x55eeaeb7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000224e8
Faulting process ID: 0x41ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0eb0ee3cfecca
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\MsiExec.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSID8CB.tmp
Report ID: 0c595593-df56-4b79-b855-dd3e552b9ef1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Has anyone successfully installed VirtualBox on Windows 10, or is it not simply supported yet? If it's the later, any ideas when it might be?

Thanks

Nick
Attachments
MSIa6e18.zip
(64.05 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
piggyz

Re: Installing 5.0.4 on Windows 10

Post by piggyz »

Sadly and simply not supported (from long time) for now.
nickcodefresh

Post by nickcodefresh »

Ok thanks for the reply. Darn
J.L.
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: LMDE, Ubuntu, Windows XP, Windows 7

Post by J.L. »

Actually I never had bugs that weren't fixable on Windows 10, especially after version 5.0.2... Now they don't even have the disclaimer of not fully supporting Windows 10, which means at least a fresh install should be fine.
Windows 10 is the actual host, not 8 (no option).
nickcodefresh

Post by nickcodefresh »

I managed to get VirtualBox 5.0.4 installed, but not with any of the networking features. That doesn't really help me though as I need them.

Did you manage to get it installed with the networking features, or are you not requiring them?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

There are a number of people (me included) who have managed to install VirtualBox 5.0.4-102546 on Windows 10 with all of the networking features enabled and working (or at least as far as I can tell with the guest VMs I have tried).

There are others who are still having problems with the networking - one that I know of that seems to get the wrong versions of VirtualBox networking drivers installed.

Having installed VirtualBox without the networking features what happens if you re-run the installer or go to "Programs and Features" and select "modify" and try to add the missing bits?
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

J.L. wrote:Now they don't even have the disclaimer of not fully supporting Windows 10
They also don't have a disclaimer for DOS, or OS/2, or BSD Unix, or VMS, and a bunch of others. That doesn't make those supported by default.

The current user manual lists supported host Operating Systems. I suggest that you use that as your definitive reference, rather than wishfully interpreting what the download page doesn't say.
manas

Post by manas »

i am able to install VirtualBox-4.3.31-102328-Win in window 10 but not able to create host only network it show error "Failed to create the host network interface.Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)"
so i download VirtualBox-5.0.4-102546-Win but While installing the installation bar goes till copying files and then suddenly it appears to roll back.i am unable to intall it it shows following error
"oracle vm virtualbox 4.3.12 setup wizard ended prematurely because of an error your system has not been modifed. To install this program at a later time,run setup wizard again. click the finish button to exit the setup wizard."
when i click finish it shows
Installation failed! Error: Fatal error during installation.
i have try to and create field of maxnum filters and maxfilters that also has not works.
i have also attached the image of the errors which i have already mentioned.
i have to use andy so its needs to create host only network
Attachments
vbox1.png
vbox1.png (12.22 KiB) Viewed 16062 times
vbox.jpg
vbox.jpg (35.97 KiB) Viewed 16062 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

We probably need a bit more information about what the installer thinks is going on. Can you follow the steps on MSI logging, ZIP the files up and attach them here.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
PaulCee

Post by PaulCee »

I have these same symptoms on my laptop.

After upgrading from windows 8 pro to windows 10 pro I was able to run the already installed vbox 4 and the virtual hosts I has configured on there. My only issue was having to change from bridged networking to NAT which had no impact on how I was using the guests.

I tried to upgrade to vbox 5.0.4 and it rolled back, but the original vbox application was removed so it wasn't a complete rollback. The reason I attempted this is because I successfully installed vbox5.04 on my work computer, which is also running windows10.

So - to cut a long story short - it seems that this is one of those hard to reproduce problems because it sometimes works and sometimes does not. I will attempt to install again tonight when I get home and will attach whatever logging I can find.

Hopefully this can be resolved as I can't run my guests anymore - installing vbox 4 shows them but as invalid, suggesting something in the install process has altered the saved configuration and data in some way.
PaulCee

Post by PaulCee »

Interesting. I went to install again this evening, from the same download files as yesterday, and it worked. I now have vbox5.0.4 on windows 10.

All I did differently was removed the program files/oracle folder completely and did a quick whizz through the registry removing a few references to virtualbox.

Sorry I couldn;t provide any error logging to assist with fixing the issue properly. At least I have shared my own experience, which may give someone else a clue.
J.L.
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
Guest OSses: LMDE, Ubuntu, Windows XP, Windows 7

Post by J.L. »

mpack wrote:
J.L. wrote:Now they don't even have the disclaimer of not fully supporting Windows 10
They also don't have a disclaimer for DOS, or OS/2, or BSD Unix, or VMS, and a bunch of others. That doesn't make those supported by default.

The current user manual lists supported host Operating Systems. I suggest that you use that as your definitive reference, rather than wishfully interpreting what the download page doesn't say.
Nor does the download page even list those OS as options. I'm just pointing out something, so going beyond constructive criticism and throwing out personal jabs on the misguided perception of "wishful thinking" is completely unnecessary.

And as for full networking support, they're installed w/o issues, although I haven't tested them yet.
Windows 10 is the actual host, not 8 (no option).
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

J.L. wrote:I'm just pointing out something, so going beyond constructive criticism and throwing out personal jabs on the misguided perception of "wishful thinking" is completely unnecessary.
It's only a personal jab if you take it that way.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

J.L. wrote:so going beyond constructive criticism and throwing out personal jabs on the misguided perception of "wishful thinking" is completely unnecessary.
I considered it necessary to head off discussion of a red herring. I pointed out my reasoning. If you consider that a personal affront then fine, but let's call it quits there.
mfelker
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Multiple

Post by mfelker »

Installed Virtualbox on Windows 10 host successfully and then installed Windows 10 Enterprise VM as well as 2 Linux guests so far. This was the first time I've been able to install Virtualbox on my Windows 10 host and it works perfectly. Problem with VirtualBox 5.02 was no networking at all.

As to a solution to your problem I can't give you a definitive answer because I've never seen such an error on a VB install (going back to before it was bought by Oracle). I suggest you might try to uninstall Virtualbox - make sure it is completely uninstalled (for example use a program like locate32 to find all instanace of the string 'virtualbox' - make sure your Windows 10 is host is fully up to date - temporarily disable AV programs and then try to reinstall.

There may be an error log generated by the failed install - you might check it out and post it here.