itunes+ipod on winxp guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
outsidenwnc

itunes+ipod on winxp guest

Post by outsidenwnc »

Hi All,

Has anyone been sucessful syncing itunes+ipod on winxp guest?

I've tried virtualbox 1.4, they will read my USB devices-camera, phone, memory stick, but itunes will not read my ipod- get a driver install error. I have the updated kernel

opensuse 10.2, 2.6.18.8 kernel
compaq v2000 amd
zenobiaflex

Post by zenobiaflex »

I also have a similar problem. I am using Mint (variation of Ubuntu 7.04) and the iPod is not seen by iTunes... has anyone gotten an iPod to work in an XP VM?
vikrant82

Ya very much,

Post by vikrant82 »

:D I got my 30gb ipod working with itunes 7.2 in a Win2000 VM on virtualbox 1.4.0. over Feisty and works like a charm.

On first install I did get a device cannot start problem. I just uninstalled the USB drivers and let them install again after installing Itunes.
zenobiaflex

Re: Ya very much,

Post by zenobiaflex »

[quote="vikrant82"]:D I got my 30gb ipod working with itunes 7.2 in a Win2000 VM on virtualbox 1.4.0. over Feisty and works like a charm.

On first install I did get a device cannot start problem. I just uninstalled the USB drivers and let them install again after installing Itunes.[/quote]

How did you unintall the USB drivers? Was this from within the System->devices menu in the Guest?
marcg5

Still not working

Post by marcg5 »

Hi,

I'm on Ubuntu 7.04 host, and Windows XP SP2 Guest. I've tried uninstalling USB drivers (yes, from System -> Hardware -> Device manager), uninstalling iTunes and back and forth to no avail.

Windows says that it finds a iPod mini at first, but finally it displays an error telling that the device may not work correctly. And definitely, it does not. Either from iTunes (no ipod appears) or from "My PC" where there's nothing about it.

Virtualbox 1.5.0.

Other USB devices (stick, for example) work well.

Any ideas? Please help!
michael003

Post by michael003 »

My iPod Nano 2G works fine in VirtualBox (Windows XP Pro under Ubuntu Gutsy AMD64 with VirtualBox 1.5.0). If I remember correctly though, it didn't work if I connected the iPod to the VM while the VM was running (i.e. from the Devices menu). I had to edit the VM's settings and set it to automatically connect the iPod (by ticking the box in the USB settings).
phillywize

Post by phillywize »

I'm having a similar issue. I can get VB to recognize the iPod and hand the connection off to Windows well enough, but iTunes always recognizes the iPod as being in recovery mode, and won't sync it. Once, without any seeming rhyme or reason, it recognized the iPod properly, and synced. Haven't b een able to repeat it.

Oddly, I have the iPod syncing semi-reliably on Win 2k, running under VMWare server 1.0.3, but even that's a stretch. Can't get an XP guest to sync anywhere, although VB gives the most to work with.
bwh1969

Post by bwh1969 »

michael003 wrote:My iPod Nano 2G works fine in VirtualBox (Windows XP Pro under Ubuntu Gutsy AMD64 with VirtualBox 1.5.0). If I remember correctly though, it didn't work if I connected the iPod to the VM while the VM was running (i.e. from the Devices menu). I had to edit the VM's settings and set it to automatically connect the iPod (by ticking the box in the USB settings).
I tried this and got the furthest using this method, but eventually the guest XP just froze right after recognizing it as a usb mass storage device. Never showed it as a disk and it never showed in iTunes.

I suppose I could install XP 2000 sp4, but that is overkill. I have already become accustomed to using rockbox and amarok on my iPod in Kubuntu [linux].
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

Hey bwh1969,
have you seen this? Bill got it working:
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=3985
The simplest way to a complex system is to start with a simple system.