Local VBox build fails, kernel driver not found

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
RicV
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Linux *.*, Win*

Re: Local VBox build fails, kernel driver not found

Post by RicV »

Hang on -- I got it working. Somehow on my last attempt, after finally removing all of the installed version, I either failed to set permissions on /dev/vbox* or just forgot. Now it has booted the guest OS on a VM that I had previously created with the installed version (apparently the actual VMs do not get removed).

So I think this topic can be closed. The final answer is to diligently remove the installed Virtual Box; it may take several attempts to fully remove it. And then don't make a mistake following the directions.

So now I can finally move back to my real issue: why won't it load my special virtual device?

Thanks so much for your help.

You still want the full kmk log? The hickups were in the set of packages needed.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Not if it is working. I need to reboot for the day. Let me know if you need more help tomorrow.
RicV
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Linux *.*, Win*

Post by RicV »

Thanks for your help, again. As I said above, I think this particular issue can be closed now.

What I need now is to figure out what are the best set of VBOX_RELEASE_LOG and VBOXSVC_RELEASE_LOG settings to figure out my actual problem, described in this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=69802